Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Been reading and digesting a lot of the info on this forum and am now going to embark on building my first light, I have put together a parts list from LED Supply and wondered if somebody would have a look over it and see if it looks to be about right.
Build will be handlebar mount and mainly for my commute which involves a few dark country lanes
Will be powering it with a 14.8v 2200mah li-ion battery pack, switches and connectors are not on the list but will getting these from Farnell

Heres the list

3 x Cree XR-E Q5 Star LE $8.92 $26.76
2 x 20mm Plain Tight Carclo Lens for Cree XR-E Star LEDs $1.25 $2.50
1 x 20mm Ripple Medium Carclo Lens for Cree XR-E Star LEDs $1.25 $1.25
1 x 3023-D-E-1000P Wired BuckPuck, 1000mA Output, DC Powered w/Potentiometer $19.99
1 x Aluminum Potentiometer Turn Knob $2.49
3 x Carclo Cree Star Lens Holder $0.23 $0.69

Subtotal: $53.68
Total: $53.68

Am in the UK and if possible wanted to get everything from one place so not too fussed if spending a couple £ over the top.

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
247 Posts
It looks about right. Maybe a few extra optics to play with for beam angles?
Keep us posted, some photos when you're done.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The only thing I'd change is the pot. If it's the pot supplied with the Driver (same as yours) I got it's small and finicky. That comment came from the supplier as well.

Another one may be worth a look.

·
Registered
455 Posts
HEY HEY ITS HENDO said:
Hey Pogo, welcome!

check out the international shipping rates mate :eek: :eek:
Pogo, try Cutter in Australia. I dont know what LED Supply charge for int shipping but Cutter is about £6.

Get some pics up wen it is done! Good luck, because this will be your first, but by no means you're last!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info and welcome guys

Have ordered as per my list but changed the driver for one with external dimming but no pot so can get one to suit, 5k i presume, Maplin or Farnells ?

Ordered a few more optics as well so I can play around with these.

Shipping came out at $19 but hopefully should arrive fairly quickly as itching to get started. Will take pictures as I go and keep updating

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Piesoup

Looks like I was typing my reply when you posted, I looked a Cutter but was getting slightly confused with all the options,want to get this first build under my belt then will play around some more and try different LED's and suppliers. Definately think this will become a bit of an obbsession with building lights.

Cheers
Paul

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
Pogo, you could do a 3-way switch like this in place of the pot. I've built a few lights that are essentially the same as what you've described, and I've found that resistors of 500 and 1000 ohms give a decent low/med./high range.

LedSupply ships pretty quick, so you should be building in no time.

Maybe I missed it above, but what type of housing are you using?

JZ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will have a look at the resistors,want it dimmable so once on the road I can turn it down to stop dazzling oncoming cars and wont need as much light underneath the street lighting

Undecided on the housing, I need to get all the parts together so I have an idea of space needed,hopefully be going down the cnc route, will have a chat with the guy that does cnc work and see what we can come up with. There are lots of really nice looking lights on here so may use a few ideas from these and put my take on them

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
504 Posts
Pogo217,

I've copied the same setup onto two of my lights (XPG x 3 + R2 and R2 x 2).
I use resistors around 760-800 to get low beam.

It works very well but I as you can see by my question below I want a little better..... as in more beam levels.

JimZ,

How did you get the 3 beams levels? Do you use the 3 way switch for the 3 different beam levels and turn the light off by disconnecting the battery?

I would like an intermediate beam if possible. I think it would help on some sections where low is too low and high is too high. Geez, some are hard to please.:cool:

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
ireland57 said:
JimZ,

How did you get the 3 beams levels? Do you use the 3 way switch for the 3 different beam levels and turn the light off by disconnecting the battery?
Correct. As per the link in post #8 above, use a SPDT center-off switch and 2 resistors. The center "off" position will be your high, and the 2 "on" positions give you 2 levels of dimming. I used micro pots in place of the resistors so I could dial in the brightness visually before sealing up the case. As mentioned above, approximately 500 and 1000 ohms is what I arrived at for a good low and medium.

A second switch could be added if you want to be able turn the light off without unplugging.

JZ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Small update, the led's and other parts I ordered have been shipped so hopefully they will arrive next week :thumbsup:

While looking around for aluminium stockist I found this place http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/Aluminium/c120/index.html

It maybe of use to some of the builders in the UK, prices seem reasonable until I looked at the delivery charge of £14.95 an order, but they are located about 8 miles from where I live and go out that way for work once a week or so. Going to give them a call and see if its possible to collect.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pogo217 said:
Small update, the led's and other parts I ordered have been shipped so hopefully they will arrive next week :thumbsup:

While looking around for aluminium stockist I found this place http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/Aluminium/c120/index.html

It maybe of use to some of the builders in the UK, prices seem reasonable until I looked at the delivery charge of £14.95 an order, but they are located about 8 miles from where I live and go out that way for work once a week or so. Going to give them a call and see if its possible to collect.

Cheers
Paul
Hi Paul,

There's an aluminium stockist on ebay - here's a link to their store. I've not bought from there yet, but they seem reasonable... Low postage charges, they sell small lengths without hiking the prices, and even include two cuts for free (and only 50p for additional cuts). If I were building a light from aluminium tube, I'd definitely be giving them a call...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Jim Z in VT said:
Correct. As per the link in post #8 above, use a SPDT center-off switch and 2 resistors. The center "off" position will be your high, and the 2 "on" positions give you 2 levels of dimming. I used micro pots in place of the resistors so I could dial in the brightness visually before sealing up the case. As mentioned above, approximately 500 and 1000 ohms is what I arrived at for a good low and medium.

A second switch could be added if you want to be able turn the light off without unplugging.

JZ
OK. Looks like a good idea saving mucking about with resistors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts