Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have AVID BB5 disc breaks that are working fine for me. I am looking at getting a 2nd set of wheels (XT centerlock/717 discs). If I purchase the Shimano 160 rotors for this hubset will they be compatible with my AVID brakes?
Thx

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
It is the right place to ask, but a lot of people ask the same question over and over again. I remember reading something about rotor compatiblily in there.

To answer your question,
You would be better off getting some Avid Clean Sweep rotors and using them(I dont know if they come in center lock, though). Shim's pad contact area is a little different, thinner, IIRC.

Also, you may find the disks not lining up from wheel set to wheel set. If so, then you may have to align your calipers to the widest rotor mount. They use some .2 or .5 mm washers behind the rotor on the other wheel. It's kind of a pain, but it works, mostly. "Your mileage may vary"

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
crisillo said:
no, they are IS only, however they can be used with a centerlock-to-IS adapter
unless i misunderstood the OP he has the following:

bb5 disc brakes
getting wheels with 160 rotors centerlock rotors

all he should have to do is realign the brake calipers to match the new wheelset

or have i completely missed something

i just put bb7 disc calipers on my wifes bike and the wheelset is shimano xt hubs with centerlock rotors and work just fine

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
bcaronongan said:
unless i misunderstood the OP he has the following:

bb5 disc brakes
getting wheels with 160 rotors centerlock rotors

all he should have to do is realign the brake calipers to match the new wheelset

or have i completely missed something

i just put bb7 disc calipers on my wifes bike and the wheelset is shimano xt hubs with centerlock rotors and work just fine
depending on the model of shimano rotors, the braking track is not wide enough to cover the full surface of the pads, causing uneven wear....

on my post above, I was responding to ziscwg's doubt on whether the clean sweeps were available in centerlock

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
crisillo said:
depending on the model of shimano rotors, the braking track is not wide enough to cover the full surface of the pads, causing uneven wear....

on my post above, I was responding to ziscwg's doubt on whether the clean sweeps were available in centerlock
oops, my bad.

:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I get it

thanks all. bcaronongan was right that I have the BB5's but was looking to buy the centerlock wheelset and Shimano rotors and I think I am hearing that the thinner rotor will be a problem and I would be better off using AVID rotors with the adaptor. That sound about right?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
appgap said:
thanks all. bcaronongan was right that I have the BB5's but was looking to buy the centerlock wheelset and Shimano rotors and I think I am hearing that the thinner rotor will be a problem and I would be better off using AVID rotors with the adaptor. That sound about right?
yep..that's the safest bet! :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.