Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm looking into getting into getting a bike for myself to start exercising and getting into shape. I'm 6"4 and weigh about 235lbs so I'm a big guy. I went to a local bike shop and the guy there, a 19 year old kid was telling me to get a 2012 hardrock specialized 29" with disc brakes for $580. I don't know much about bikes actually I know nothing about them lol, but since I'm just started to get into it I don't want to spend more than $700 or so until I figure out if it is something I am going to stick with or not. Does anyone have any opinions on the bike the guy suggested or any other ones that would be worth getting in the $500-$700 price range? Looking for advice from real people that love riding bikes and not a sales person thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just bought my new bike today, and this forum really helped me over the past few weeks. The best advice I got was the one piece of advice I didn't want to hear. Ride everything in your price range and even a few bikes $100-$200 above your price range and see what feels the best to you. I rode the Hardrock and it was okay. I stepped up to the Rockhopper and it was a world of difference. However, neither of them fit me the way the Jamis did. Next, behind the Jamis was the Giant Talon series. I'm 6'1" and around 220, and a few of the bikes just put me too far over the handlebars, or felt too short in the frame. Read everything you can here, study the component quality, and check out this page: Mountain Bike Purchasing: What Do I Need To Know? | Bike198. It was helpful to me. Good luck, and have fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.