Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a quick question for you experienced riders out there. I was initially looking at buying a begginers bike, namely a mongoose wing elite. The best deal I have found for this bike is around $350. Before I purchase anything like this, I like to do my research research. I was shopping around ebay and I found a gary fisher joshua F3 for around $400.

The thing is, the bike has a medium sized frame (it doesn't state the actual size). Now me being 6' 155lbs, I'm wondering if I would fit on this bike. I tried emailing the seller to no avail and the auction is up in about an hour and 1/2.

Can anyone give me an idea how big this bike is? Will I be banging my knees??

Thanks in advance!!!

edit: I gotta keep my budget below $500 shipped, but I don't have my own bike at the moment and I want to see if this is something I would like to keep doing before I save up the big $$

·
Registered
163 Posts
isn't a joshua a kid's bike? i was under the impression that a gary fisher joshua is a kid's bike that might have 24 inch wheels? dunno about that -- could use some confirmation.

·
Registered
121 Posts
you sound fairly tall and lanky... try picking up a used gary fisher tassajara (i don't think thats how you spell it but you'll know what i mean) my friend is sorta built like you and does alot of XC riding and he loves it. I've also ridden the bike a few times and its quite fast and reasonably priced. Its also a bike you can keep around through the learning stages and much into the intermedate stages of biking (like the first 1-3 years).... and with some upgrades maybe even a few more years than that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If this is going to be your first bike I suggest you go to a local bike shop (LBS) and check out some bikes. You really want to get on the bike before you buy it. Even riding around the parking lot is better than nothing. Most people that buy bikes on e-bay either don't know what they are doing or have ridden a long time and they are looking for a specific bike that they know a lot about. Take your time, save your money, and buy the bike that fits you best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
StormShadow said:
If this is going to be your first bike I suggest you go to a local bike shop (LBS) and check out some bikes. You really want to get on the bike before you buy it. Even riding around the parking lot is better than nothing. Most people that buy bikes on e-bay either don't know what they are doing or have ridden a long time and they are looking for a specific bike that they know a lot about. Take your time, save your money, and buy the bike that fits you best.
Thanks for the help everyone. I have a friend who has been into MTB's for a while and he is taking me to a couple of local shops this weekend to find out what I need to be looking for. I passed up that auction on the fisher because I didn't want to regret my purchase without knowing more (thankfully).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
TomoSiggy said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I have a friend who has been into MTB's for a while and he is taking me to a couple of local shops this weekend to find out what I need to be looking for. I passed up that auction on the fisher because I didn't want to regret my purchase without knowing more (thankfully).
Good decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Definitely a good idea to have someone go with you to a shop to look around. Test ride a few different bikes certain ones may feel more comfortable to you. Plus that way you can be properly fitted to the bike.

Personally I am a big fan of Specialized and that is what I decided on when I bought mine. In keeping with your budget you should take a look at the Hardrock Comp.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5977&JServSessionIdroot=57uepeu6el.j27007

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Nothing personal toward Rhino but (since he mentioned the Judy TT fork being less than great), do yourself a favor and avoid any bike with a Judy TT fork. It is, IMHO, the worst fork you can get on a bike in that price range (I'm talking about any fork from Marzocchi, Rock Shox or Manitou).

For $599, you might still be able to get an Iron Horse Rogue from Supergo. It comes with an XT rear derailluer, Hayes hydraulic disc brake sand a Rock Shox Judy SL U-Turn (not the same as a Judy TT) adjustable travel fork among other things. If it fits you, I think it's the most bike you can get for less than $600.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
One of my other MTB friends told me to focus on getting a good frame since the components won't matter much at this point since I'm a newbie. That way, I can have a good platform once I decide to upgrade.

I would really like to get a full suspension bike, but I have read that they are a waste of money unless you can drop over a grand on one. Are there any full suspension bikes that are pretty good as far as entry level goes (that would be worth upgrading if I keep this as a hobby)? How is the KHS XC 304 (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BI707B09)? I can't seem to find much information on it.

Also, I notice a lot of the cheaper bikes are quite heavy. How much of the weight is attributed to crappy components? If I understand correctly, the lighter and stronger the frame, the better?

Thanks again for all the good info everyone!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Your friend is right about getting a good frame. It is the part of the bike that will outlast the others, so focus on the frame the most.

If you're just starting out, and depending on the kind of riding you aspire to, a hardtail wouldn't be a bad idea. It's easier to learn the fundamentals on a hardtail IMHO (as long as the trails you're riding aren't too rough). I bought my wife a Trek 6700 when she started riding for around $500. The component spec is decent and conservative (a lot like the KHS), and the bike's handling is very predictable.

If you're set on and FS bike, I would recommend a single pivot design based on your price range, since you will get an inherently more rigid and easier to maintain frame. The KHS 304 probably wouldn't be a bad choice for that price. The components aren't the greatest, but are decent. You can replace them if and when you break them. You'd probably find yourself wanting more than the Pilot C fork if you really do end up getting into biking. In that case I would recommend replacing it (a year or so down the road) with a cheap Marzocchi fork unless you're a strict XC guy. I have an MX Comp ETA and love it.

I wouldtn't worry TOO much about weight. It's not as big of deal as people made it out to be. If you're getting an FS bike try to stay at or below 30lbs (for trail riding). XC riders would want a lighter bike for sure, but you'll figure out what you want/need as your riding skills/preferences develop.

Same thing goes for suspension travel. I would stay in the moderate range (3" - 4") and keep the front and rear balanced. A long travel bike will require a fair amount of extra energy when going up. A bike with more travel in the front than in the rear can also be difficult to pedal uphill, because of the effects of the long fork on the frame geometry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I ordered the KHS today and it should be here around Thursday I'm thinking. Thanks for all the helpfull info everyone. I'm sure I'll post here to let you people know when I either break something or conquer my first monster trail :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
good luck with the bike. it looks like you got a pretty good bike for the money. now you just have to play the waiting game. believe me, it sucks. my bike is in the shop, and i'm supposed to have it back by tuesday :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts