Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Still lost
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trail riding for a couple of years now and am kicking around the idea of getting into DH. I've been reading through the forums and trying to learn more about what equipment it takes and what skills are needed. I would like to try it out but am somewhat hesitant on spending around $4000 - $5000 to get a decent bike, protection, etc. Anyone have any ideas on how I could get my feet wet without going into massive debt?

I have thought about renting from one of the lift resorts, but I don't know if they have the true DH equipment, and I can't imagine it is easy to fit a rental bike well. I was thinking of looking used, but don't know where to look.

Any good ideas out there?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Don't buy a 3000 dollar bike Save your cash. I would look into a used DH bike first... That way you are trying out a DH bike (w/little cash out and can resale it later for a little less cash than you bought it). Also the learning curve You don't want a new bike getting destroyed thrashing it why you learn but with a used bike, you don't care because you don't have much money into it.

You will meet new people and then you can try different bikes and form your own opinion for what you want and need

Some bikes to look at under 1500 dollars used Kona Stinky's or Coilers, Big Hits, Bullitts are a few

search here

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...&category=Full+Suspension+Bike&query=category

Here is a big hit for 1200.00
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=86281&query=retrieval

·
Registered
404 Posts
What are you riding now??? Frame ...components ....wheel set??

You maybe be able to do a few upgrade and be a little more equiped to ride some easier downhill type trails.

Where are you from??

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Don't buy a 3000 dollar bike Save your cash. I would look into a used DH bike first... That way you are trying out a DH bike (w/little cash out and can resale it later for a little less cash than you bought it). Also the learning curve You don't want a new bike getting destroyed thrashing it why you learn but with a used bike, you don't care because you don't have much money into it.

You will meet new people and then you can try different bikes and form your own opinion for what you want and need

Some bikes to look at under 1500 dollars used Kona Stinky's or Coilers, Big Hits, Bullitts are a few

search here

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...&category=Full+Suspension+Bike&query=category

Here is a big hit for 1200.00
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=86281&query=retrieval
I second the stinky. Then if you decide you like riding big bikes and want to get more into DH racing, that's when you should consider dropping a bigger chunk of change on a bike to race on, like a Giant DH.

·
Still lost
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
freeriderizzle said:
What are you riding now??? Frame ...components ....wheel set??

You maybe be able to do a few upgrade and be a little more equiped to ride some easier downhill type trails.

Where are you from??
This cowboy is from Mid-Hudson Valley NY (about half way between NYC & Albany). My current ride is a Yeti 575 stock with Fox Vanilla fork. I upgraded the wheels to Mavic F219. I talked with a friend and they didn't think there were a lot of upgrade options to get the same kind of ride.

I have tossed around the idea of getting into racing if I like it, but wouldn't know how to start that process either.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Same Area

I'm from the same area and was in the same situation about two years ago. I bought a brand new Santa Cruz Bullit from Alex at Smart Cycles in Connecticut.
www.smartcycles.com
Complete bike for $1700 and I ride at Diablo in NJ. It's an amazing bike and has saved my neck on those massive rocks numerous times!
Good luck, maybe I'll see you sometime.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Hey SuperCat and DogWonder ....lol.... thos two names together sound funny...
anyway...I gonna ride MC and PK this season so maybe we can meet there... I'd like to meet as many MTBRers as posible this season...

And DogWonder... since u r new in the DH thing spend some of ur cash in protection... a full boddy armor and full face helmet just to start. Also a tool-set is always handy and spare parts like rear del. , tubes, tires,bolts, ect.

RideMonkey.com, PinkBike.com, MTBR.com classifieds and Ebay.com are few good places to start looking for your new/used bike.
Good luck.

·
Registered
683 Posts
getting into DH

dogwonder said:
So I've been trail riding for a couple of years now and am kicking around the idea of getting into DH...
Any good ideas out there?
Find local people - just like you're doing - who can hook you up. The Internet is great for that. Many riders have extra gear they can loan you.
Invest in a full face helmet and see if you can borrow the rest (chest and knee armour).
Don't hesitate to use the bike you have on more challenging terrain than you normally do.
Know your limitations - walk sections you are not comfortable with. You will ride them soon enough.

I started riding/racing DH when I still didn't know enough to be afraid. I had been riding perhaps 8 months the first time I rode a DH course (Fontana, CA), and I did it on a 4"-travel bike with V-brakes. (I shake my head now and think there's no freakin' way I do that today... even though I'm a much better rider - ha!)
Here are my impressions of that day:
http://drexlernet.tripod.com/040228_bc_southridge.htm

Once I decided to get into DH, I got a used bike here in the MTBR classifieds. :)

Good luck!

-sunny :cool:

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
sunnyracegirl said:
Find local people - just like you're doing - who can hook you up. The Internet is great for that. Many riders have extra gear they can loan you.
Invest in a full face helmet and see if you can borrow the rest (chest and knee armour).
Don't hesitate to use the bike you have on more challenging terrain than you normally do.
Know your limitations - walk sections you are not comfortable with. You will ride them soon enough.

I started riding/racing DH when I still didn't know enough to be afraid. I had been riding perhaps 8 months the first time I rode a DH course (Fontana, CA), and I did it on a 4"-travel bike with V-brakes. (I shake my head now and think there's no freakin' way I do that today... even though I'm a much better rider - ha!)

Once I decided to get into DH, I got a used bike here in the MTBR classifieds. :)

Good luck!

nice story in link....4 inch travel bike sounds like a good thing along the "wall"

·
Cheesiest
1,615 Posts
Sweet thread! I'm kind of in the same boat. I've been trailriding for a couple of years, and I am interested in DH racing. My biggest problem is trying to hook up with people in the same situation in my area (MT) to develop some skills. I haven't done much in the way of actual freeriding; just more jumping off $hit around town, and on the sides of trails. We have great riding out here, but I guess I just need to get out more.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Diablo

Creek has a race series this year. Just got my NORBA license to participate. First year racing though, not expecting too much sucess!
See ya out there!

·
Still lost
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sunnyracegirl said:

Good luck!

Solid story, this is exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for to get my feet wet. Somebody who can show me the ropes, a couple of skills, and see if it something that I'll dig. I don't want to get too committed to it in case I don't like it. I need to try to get the same deal here in the east...

·
Still lost
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SuperKat7 said:
Creek has a race series this year. Just got my NORBA license to participate. First year racing though, not expecting too much sucess!
See ya out there!
Nice...was it hard to get the license? I didn't realize how close MC was to me, only about an hour 15. I'll have to check it out. I was checking their website over the weekend and it looks pretty sweet. Not a bad rental fleet, although I don't know much about the IH fleet. It looks like they open the end of the month, I'll have to check it out. Have you ridden their much? The only time I did any lift accessed was at Killington and I was on a Specialized Enduro with 4 inch fork. Needless to say, I didn't do any real DH riding.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you can get down to Snowshoe WV they have real DH bikes you can rent along with all the gear. They also have riders on staff who can offer instruction for a fee.

Once you start riding with folks they'll know about the race scene and will help you get there. Downhilling is just one big party... the more the merrier. In my experience DHers are quick to help a newbie along. It a much less uptight scene than XC racing.

Mike

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
SuperKat7 said:
See ya out there!
FYI, Diablo races are NOT part of NORBA, so you don't need a license. You can use that license at Plattekill and Mt Snow, though.

To the original poster, Plattekill is renting new Turner DHR DH bikes with Fox DH40 forks last I heard (this is info as of last fall). Mt Creek is renting Iron Horse DH bikes as well. This will definitely be the cheapest way to see if you like DH, and want to spend $$ to seriously get into it. Believe that Mt Creek is also renting full-face helmets and chest armor as well, but I'm not sure.

You can usually ask people at the mtn what they like/don't like about their rigs, and see what you fit or what you like.

·
Still lost
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dante said:
FYI, Diablo races are NOT part of NORBA, so you don't need a license. You can use that license at Plattekill and Mt Snow, though.

To the original poster, Plattekill is renting new Turner DHR DH bikes with Fox DH40 forks last I heard (this is info as of last fall). Mt Creek is renting Iron Horse DH bikes as well. This will definitely be the cheapest way to see if you like DH, and want to spend $$ to seriously get into it. Believe that Mt Creek is also renting full-face helmets and chest armor as well, but I'm not sure.

You can usually ask people at the mtn what they like/don't like about their rigs, and see what you fit or what you like.
Plattekill is not quite 2 hours from where I live, and I have family in VT so am hoping to make some trips up to Mount Snow. So maybe I should check out a Norba license. Are they hard to get and expensive?

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
dogwonder said:
Plattekill is not quite 2 hours from where I live, and I have family in VT so am hoping to make some trips up to Mount Snow. So maybe I should check out a Norba license. Are they hard to get and expensive?
Platt's good, and don't forget Mountain Creek in Vernon NJ. both should have full-on DH bikes to rent. Mt Snow (and Killington) are both fun, but not sure if you can rent DH bikes. I know Killington mainly rents 5" travel trail bikes.

Norba licenses are relatively cheap, but you only need those if you're going to race. Think its $10/race (for beginner or sport) or $50/year, something like that. I'd say try out DH first before you try racing, it's definitely a little different.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.