Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am a complete newbie in all aspects. The last time I owned a bike was 1989 and it was a general department store issue. You could say a lot has changed since then. {GEEZER ALERT!} Long story short, the bikes at the BBS were too tall, the ones at D!$%'s were questionable to the point that the tech told me "don't ride that bike on that hill! Just return it..." and that landed me at my LBSs where I selected a Specialized Myka SE Disc. I had a really hard time wrapping my head around the price {insert Geezer quote "in my day you could get...for a NICKEL!"}but, I made enough peace with it to go ahead and buy.
I am hooked! I love everything about it except the tender posterior region. Yes, I upgraded to a gel seat and yes, I ordered some cycle shorts. :)
I am enjoying reading about the care and maintenance as well as gear and clothing suggestions. It seems that my newbie questions at my LBS are just too pedestrian for them to deal with. So, I came online to look up my own info and found this gem of a forum!
Quick question on LBS etiquette. Small town, two competing shops, I have been to both to try bikes. Can I take my "competing brand" bike to the other shop for accessories/ kit supplies, or am I supposed to stick completely to the shop where I bought my bike and will have it serviced? I know they would like the business, but would they want the "other guy's" brand in front of their shop?

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
Lbs will work on or sell things for any bike. Maybe they will get your bike business the next time.
Everyone, at the beginning of every season, gets a little sore until you toughen up the area.
After a couple weeks, you should then look for a saddle that fits, is light and in your budget.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
My suggestion for gear is not the shop but pricepoint.com or nashbar you can get some good deals!

You can take your bike anywhere you want, especially if the orig LBS did not have good customer service.

Welcome to MTB World! from another noob and good luck!

EDIT: Except your helmet which you probably already have :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
For me, I usually buy my accessories or parts from an LBS that I actually like. Some stores, you go in, pick up what you want, pay for it and you're on your way. Thats not the stores I would goto although they do have their advantages at times. I like going into a store and feeling/knowing that the people working there are passionate about biking. I go in there and they greet me by my first name. They ask me if I got any riding in and if so, where? They tell me about their riding adventures. That is the experience that you can't get from an e-tailer. It makes me feel comfortable and those are the stores I usually frequent even if they sell a certain part for a few dollars more than the box stores.

Out of the two LBS that you have, pick the one that you feel more comfortable with and go with that one. A great LBS will look at any bike that you have.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Take your business to where you get treated right, with respect and courtesy, that will make you feel right about spending your money there.

For accessories you don't need to take the bike along, just pick your stuff, pay and off you go unless it requires installation and even that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight everyone. And thanks for the shopping links! I just got back from a 7.5 mile ride. I know it's not much, but I am building myself up each time. My first run was just 2 miles. And you all are right about the soreness, I am a little tender today, but not as much as last time. Of course I just ordered some PI shorts that I may or may not need. But at 78% off (Amazon) they might be nice to have when I do my first 100 mile trek. There is a good one in mid-May, but I need to see how quickly my skills progress before I sign up for that.
Regarding the LBS, I agree wholeheartedly. The way I am feeling right now, I will only go back to the original shop for my services/adjustments which are free for the first year. That gives me time to learn how to do some things myself and check out the other shop's level of customer service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts