Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres my spiel...I have a raliegh m40dx ...and gary fisher marlin....i want to take suspension from the raleigh and put it on the marlin, alas the marlin has pull brakes, how do i know if the rear of the bike can support the disc brake....is this feasible? reason i am doing this is because the raleigh is a large, and the marlin would be much more fitting since its more my size, so it be nice if i could have disc brakes w/ good suspension....so yay or nay?

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can tell if the bike will allow a rear disk, by it having or lacking the mount for a caliper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i just noticed the dic brake section offered here....would it make sense to have a front disc brake and aregular pull brake in the back?

·
Registered
251 Posts
If that's what works for you yeah. Really your front brake is the one that you need more power with, that's where your stopping force is. That's why many people run a larger front disk than rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
makes sense...in the process of all thsi stuff, i have messed up the front brake, is there a good tutorial on how to calibrate it? im trying to learn all this

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
By suspension I assume you mean the fork. The fork on the Marlin is superior to the Raleigh, and it probably has disc mounts. So you could swap the brakes without swapping the forks.

Most modern quality frames have disc mounts, so you can probably put discs on the rear. Look at how the caliper is mounted on the Raleigh and see if the Fisher will accommodate it. If you can't tell by looking you probably shouldn't be screwing with the brakes, you might want to bring the bikes to a shop and have them take care of it.

·
it burns when i pee
71 Posts
Suspension is for babies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts