Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im pretty new this forum.. been looking around for a trail/ all mountain bike and it seems like everyone recommends a different bike..based on that is there ones i should stay away from.. im looking for 5in suspenion under 30lbs. 2-3000.. also its hard to tell but what are the us companys.. thanks for the info.the hunt go on for a bike lol

·
Registered
673 Posts
I agree with b-kul. A lot of US made bikes are boutique and pricey, unfortunately. I have to say that I really like my Trek Fuel EX8. It's fit's neatly into your specifications, but then so do a lot of bikes. Give it a look and ride anything before you buy!

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
also id like to say its refreshing for someone new to come in here with a reasonable budget and goal, not the typical "ok, i want a bike that rails the downhills and still pedals good, new, and under $1000". /mini rant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome tate,You my friend you are shopping at the sweet spot of our fine sport.And most likely find yourself netting a sub 30 pounder with a kick ass comp.group.Can't go wrong with any of the picks from the big 3 and at the 3k level the mojo is right at the cream.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I get a general feeling of how a bike ride just on pavement. Or is it more important to take it on a trail. Its still winter and we are getting snow here in northern Nv. Now I'm 220 will that alter the bike in need. Thanks for the feed back so far.

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Check out the Scott gambler series. Feature a dual lock out system to really make longer travel bikes climbers. My lbs has them and they have nothing but good things to say about them. So I tried one out and I really like it. It has a good am travel but the dual lockout system can either reduce both suspensions to like 80 or 90mm orrrr can completely lock it out, making it quite a versatile bike.

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
I don't think it's silly, a rigid bike has a noticeably easier climb than any bike with a suspension. I don't know, maybe it's weight, but some force will get sucked up on suspension; no matter how damn good the linkage is and how pedable it seems

·
Registered
31 Posts
At 220lbs your not a full Clyde.but most bikes on the show room floor will feel super plush.Ask the LBS guy to bump the suspension up a few lbs.Then take a ride around the lot with a open mind and just focus on the overall feel of each bike.and remember that the small bits can be tweaked for little to no costs.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
pfox90 said:
I don't think it's silly, a rigid bike has a noticeably easier climb than any bike with a suspension. I don't know, maybe it's weight, but some force will get sucked up on suspension; no matter how damn good the linkage is and how pedable it seems
on a smooth incline yeah but on anything that has some chunk no way. suspension will let your rear tire track true giving you more grip thus being more effecient. lock out will continue to have a place for the person that wants to grind out those fire road climbs but at least to me lock out on a 180mm bike is basically a gimmick to use as a selling point to those that dont know better.

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
b-kul said:
on a smooth incline yeah but on anything that has some chunk no way. suspension will let your rear tire track true giving you more grip thus being more effecient. lock out will continue to have a place for the person that wants to grind out those fire road climbs but at least to me lock out on a 180mm bike is basically a gimmick to use as a selling point to those that dont know better.
I understand that. I also said it has another option to reduce travel to 80mm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.