Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Just got into the singlespeed scene after scoffing at it for a couple years.

Here are the two most eye-opening epiphanies I've seen/had while singlespeeding:

1, I am surprised that I am really able to climb most stuff with that one gear. I'm 46 and in only average shape. As I get in better shape, I'll be able to climb walls.

2, Having only one gear, I'm finding that I always know what that one gear will feel like. So like if I normally would be downshifting to hit a quick climb and not knowing if I'm gonna be in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th or whatever and thus not know *exactly* what to expect... I always know what that one gear is gonna feel like.

Only thing I want to swap out at the moment are the pedals. The stock ones are grippy enough to my shoes (plain ol' converse by the way). Any experience with the Forte Shovel pedals (I think that's what they're called... kinda big with grippy things all over the surface)

Howdy all! -Eric

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Colo Springs E said:
Howdy. Just got into the singlespeed scene after scoffing at it for a couple years.

Here are the two most eye-opening epiphanies I've seen/had while singlespeeding:

1, I am surprised that I am really able to climb most stuff with that one gear. I'm 46 and in only average shape. As I get in better shape, I'll be able to climb walls.

2, Having only one gear, I'm finding that I always know what that one gear will feel like. So like if I normally would be downshifting to hit a quick climb and not knowing if I'm gonna be in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th or whatever and thus not know *exactly* what to expect... I always know what that one gear is gonna feel like.

Only thing I want to swap out at the moment are the pedals. The stock ones are grippy enough to my shoes (plain ol' converse by the way). Any experience with the Forte Shovel pedals (I think that's what they're called... kinda big with grippy things all over the surface)

Howdy all! -Eric
Welcome to SS and glad you're having fun, I love my SS! Never heard of those pedals, they look ok but kinda pricey maybe. You should be able to get something for about $30 - $40 as good or better. DMR are supposedly good, but haven't tried myself:

http://www.google.com/products?q=dm...esult_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CBwQzAMwAg

Kona Wah Wahs are nice but kinda pricey for flats at about $100....I liked mine, but have gone to Crank Brothers Candy C....going to CB Acid1 next for a little more platform.

·
leashem
78 Posts
I'm using egg beaters on my SS. Def looking to buy some candy's after the holidays for some more platform. I'm doing 25-30 mile rides on Saturdays and my feet are taking a beating with the regular EB's. I'm in the Springs as well and am always looking for guys to ride with. I have gotten long rides in every Saturday and a few shorter ones in during the week.let me know if you want to join me next weekend.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Eric, good choice!
I ride a 26" GT Peace as well (in fact I've got 2, I use one off road & one for commuting).
I think it's a great bike, although I've made a few upgrades!
The only area I've had trouble with was the hub sealing (or not) the bearings got gritty really easy, so keep an eye on that. I've changed my front hubs for Hope XC, much better, and cheap if you can find them as they're discontinued.
Pedal wise, I use DMR V8 on one bike, and Wellgo LU-A52 (their own branded version of the Gusset Slim Jim) on the other. I prefer the Wellgo, they actually make them for Gusset, but with their own branding they're much cheaper.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
snowboy said:
I'm using egg beaters on my SS. Def looking to buy some candy's after the holidays for some more platform. I'm doing 25-30 mile rides on Saturdays and my feet are taking a beating with the regular EB's. I'm in the Springs as well and am always looking for guys to ride with. I have gotten long rides in every Saturday and a few shorter ones in during the week.let me know if you want to join me next weekend.
Would love to do that, thanks for the invite! I likely won't be able to hang with you for 25/30, but maybe for 10-15 or so. Shoot me a note if you'd like to meet up, thanks!

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
What size frame did you get? I have a medium hanging in the back of my LBS just waiting for me to finish paying for it. It was a tough choice for me between the small and medium. Like you, I am 5' 6" tall and the guys at the shop thought I would be better off on the small. I went with the medium based on ETT length. The small had a shorter ETT than any of my current bikes.

As for your comment concerning the wheels feeling "unweildy", in what respect? I have a Gary Fisher 29er and find it to be quite weildy. I have also ridden a few other 29ers (Monocog Flight, Raleigh XXIX, Rockhopper, Jamis something) and never found any of the to be unweildy. What I did notice with one in particular was a bit of wheel flop at slower speeds and with others I found that the longer chain stays made lofting the front wheel more difficult.

Enjoy the new ride! I plan on doing the same sometime next spring. The snows have arrived up here in ND so the bikes are put away and the XC skis are waxed and ready to go.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Frozenspokes...

I've owned a few GTs, and I've always alternated between S and M. I think I actually like the medium best. My Peace is medium and seems to fit me just right.

Re: 29" wheels... I dunno. It just doesn't feel right to me. The wheels just feel like they're double the size of normal, and I just really don't feel that confident on them. I've biked 26" wheels for 20 years, so I think at my height/comfort level I'm going to stick to them.

As for skiing, I hear ya! I went snowboarding twice this early season, and on Veteran's Day I separated my right shoulder! :( I'm done with 'boarding, it's back to skis for me. I plan on getting up on the mountain, but I'll probably wait till Spring after my physical terror... um, therapy :) has hopefully strengthened my shoulder.

Take care, -Eric

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
SS with a seperated shoulder! Yikes

You must be a tough hombre or that seperation not too bad. I seperated mine (class 3) for the second time in July of 2000. I was downhilling at Big Bear CA on at GT hardtail with about 4" of front suspension, way over my head and my bikes capability. Anyway that crash took me of the bike completely for months and off the MTB for close to a year. I did not start riding SS till about 2003, but I can't imagine doing it with a seperated shoulder.

They do get better though, in an Xray my shoulder still looks like a train wreck, but I can ride my bikes, do karate, even push ups. It really only hurts if I forget and do things like wash the car and use my right arm for scrubbing and drying. Then it hurts for a week

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mattman said:
You must be a tough hombre or that seperation not too bad. I seperated mine (class 3) for the second time in July of 2000. I was downhilling at Big Bear CA on at GT hardtail with about 4" of front suspension, way over my head and my bikes capability. Anyway that crash took me of the bike completely for months and off the MTB for close to a year. I did not start riding SS till about 2003, but I can't imagine doing it with a seperated shoulder.

They do get better though, in an Xray my shoulder still looks like a train wreck, but I can ride my bikes, do karate, even push ups. It really only hurts if I forget and do things like wash the car and use my right arm for scrubbing and drying. Then it hurts for a week
Mine too is a type III separation. Yep, got the bigl ol lump there that will be with me for the rest of my days. :) And no, I'm not really all that tough! It has gotten remarkably better in the six weeks or so since I injured it. The first week was really rough, but then nearly overnight it got significantly better. I havne't done any "hardcore" mtn biking--mostly just trail riding and taking it pretty easy at that, so don't be too impressed LOL. I just started PT today actually, up until now the doc recommended just taking it easy. I will ski moderately by season's end but I'm done forever with snowboarding, you just have to admit when something's bigger/better than you. I constantly catch the edge of the board and thus constantly fall. I may only fall once or twice a SEASON on skis, whereas I probably fall once or twice a RUN while on a snowboard.

Wish I was cool enough, but I just can't do it! LOL

Take care, -Eric

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Colo Springs E said:
Yikes! Why go so pricey for the pedals? There are a LOT of pedals out there that are "kinda big with grippy things all over the surface" for far less.

Not that there's anything wrong with those, but I don't see anything about them that couldn't be found in pedals half that price.

Either way, glad you're enjoying your new bike, I can't wait to get my first SS finished.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fightnut said:
Yikes! Why go so pricey for the pedals? There are a LOT of pedals out there that are "kinda big with grippy things all over the surface" for far less.

Not that there's anything wrong with those, but I don't see anything about them that couldn't be found in pedals half that price.

Either way, glad you're enjoying your new bike, I can't wait to get my first SS finished.
Thanks. The ones locally I found are $49, I thought that seemed decent considering some of the (seemingly comparable) Crank Bros are like double that price.

Never hurts to look around though, so I'll do just that!

-Eric

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I've had good luck with Kona's cheapest flat pedal which set me back about $25 at my LBS. Nashbar's pedal for the same price isn't bad either, although I dislike Nashbar since they trashed my credit card and haven't apologized.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE: got the Forte Shovels...

...Perf Bike had them marked down to $40, took another 10% off and threw 'em on there for me for free, couldn't pass on that!

LOVE the larger platform and man do my feet stay glued to these things.

Nice!

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Colo Springs E said:
Would love to do that, thanks for the invite! I likely won't be able to hang with you for 25/30, but maybe for 10-15 or so. Shoot me a note if you'd like to meet up, thanks!
I'm in the Springs too and hope to get an SS in a few weeks. I live next to Black Forest regional park which is a singlespeed paradise (if you include the adjoining Cathedral Pines trails), so after years of ignoring the SS hype, I'm going to jump on the band wagon.

We'll have to hook up for a ride sometime once I get my SS (or sooner if you don't mind riding with a "gear" head).

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kristian, I'm no snob I'll ride with anyone/anything! Especially being a complete noob myself to SS, even be glad to let you try mine if it fits you (it's a Medium). I've never tried that area out in Black Forrest... up for anything New Year's Day or the weekend?

-Eric

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.