Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang,

I am new to mountain biking, but realized how much i was missing a few weeks ago while @Skeggs.

I do prefer easier uphills. Downhills are lovely. Exploiting girlfriends to shuttle us to uphill is ideal.

Given the snow conditions, I am planning this Saturday &/or Sunday. Any veterans who can show a newbie a way around - preferably at Skeggs?

nic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will i make it in a day?

baycat, thank you for the map

few weekends ago my chains died on Madera Creek Trail between Tafoni & Resolution - I had to haul the bike back up to skeggs. Relatively to that how does the rest of this loop compares? - I just dont want to end up camping with m.lions overnight <heard there r some>
I believe when it rains Muirwoods closed certain hiking trails due-to possible mudslides, etc. Will the rangers leave the park open? do people bike when it rains?

Sorry to inundate you with questions & again thank you

baycat said:
For a good intro to Skeggs ride follow this route CW starting from Skeggs Point parking lot:

http://passiontrailbikes.com/files/ECdM-Map.pdf

And more information via Passion Trail Bikes:

http://passiontrailbikes.com/pages/ECdM

·
Registered
349 Posts
Your chains died? I assume you mean broke. Most places you will get to in Skeggs as a beginner you can hike back out of within a couple of hours. The bottom of El Corte Madera Cr. trail is pretty close to the exit of the park though, you could find yourself in much worse situations I suppose, but still, the place isn't huge it's just steep, keep a map with you and you can always get out. It also helps especially at Skeggs to go on group rides. It helps anywhere actually.

If you read the "First time in Demo" thread, it looks like we are going to be heading there again this weekend.

·
Registered
589 Posts
justariderinboxers said:
baycat, thank you for the map

few weekends ago my chains died on Madera Creek Trail between Tafoni & Resolution - I had to haul the bike back up to skeggs. Relatively to that how does the rest of this loop compares? - I just dont want to end up camping with m.lions overnight <heard there r some>
I believe when it rains Muirwoods closed certain hiking trails due-to possible mudslides, etc. Will the rangers leave the park open? do people bike when it rains?

Sorry to inundate you with questions & again thank you
The ECDM trail you hauled your bike up is one of the easiest/smoothest at Skeggs. The rest of the loop is not quite as tame, but it IS very fun. Going up Manzanita is moderately technical in a few places (most of us can clear all but one spot) and the top of Resolution is mildly technical before the "root". The downhill sections of Sierra Morena, Blue Blossom and Resolution are a blast. Allow 2 to 2.5 hours.

I do a similar route, but peel off left at the bottom of Resolution to lower ECDM, North Leaf, then Methuselah. That will add considerable time, but the ride down is really great. The climb up Methuselah is a steady, granny gear, 2 mile, 1000 ft ascent. Allow up to 3 hours for total ride.

I did that last one today and a perimeter ride two days ago. Conditions are very good with just a few soft spots here and there . One exception - Lawrence Creek is very sloppy right now. But if you don't like to climb, you should not go anywhere near Lawrence Creek or Virginia Mill as those take you to the bottom of the park at 700 ft elev..

I've never seen Skeggs close due to rain, but in the past they have winter closures on some trails as marked on the map (none of the trails on Passion ride though). I don't know any body who "likes" to ride in the rain and most of us wait a few days for the trails to dry before riding after heavy rains. No serious rain expected until next week, so this weekend should be fine. Stick to the Passion ride if you want to keep climbing to a minimum.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Fiendbear said:
The ECDM trail you hauled your bike up is one of the easiest/smoothest at Skeggs. The rest of the loop is not quite as tame, but it IS very fun. Going up Manzanita is moderately technical in a few places (most of us can clear all but one spot) and the top of Resolution is mildly technical before the "root". The downhill sections of Sierra Morena, Blue Blossom and Resolution are a blast. Allow 2 to 2.5 hours.

I do a similar route, but peel off left at the bottom of Resolution to lower ECDM, North Leaf, then Methuselah. That will add considerable time, but the ride down is really great. The climb up Methuselah is a steady, granny gear, 2 mile, 1000 ft ascent. Allow up to 3 hours for total ride.

I did that last one today and a perimeter ride two days ago. Conditions are very good with just a few soft spots here and there . One exception - Lawrence Creek is very sloppy right now. But if you don't like to climb, you should not go anywhere near Lawrence Creek or Virginia Mill as those take you to the bottom of the park at 700 ft elev..

I've never seen Skeggs close due to rain, but in the past they have winter closures on some trails as marked on the map (none of the trails on Passion ride though). I don't know any body who "likes" to ride in the rain and most of us wait a few days for the trails to dry before riding after heavy rains. No serious rain expected until next week, so this weekend should be fine. Stick to the Passion ride if you want to keep climbing to a minimum.
Passion Trail Bikes should have a video map of the suggested wet loop -- with real-time elevation profile, and moving map with a bit of v/o explaining the ride up next week -- similar to the waterdog video map link below -- with a couple of tweaks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.