Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First post! I am a total newbie when it comes to mountain biking; I used to go out a lot when I was younger but haven't done any proper riding since I was about 15 or 16. I'm now 26 and have recently wanted to get back into riding so i'm buying myself a bike and plan on getting well into it in 2010. Initially I plan on doing some general riding in the countryside but have some friends who do trails and stuff so will join up with them once i've got my fitness levels up a bit. I am just over 6'1" and about 230 lbs and was going to go for a 21" frame.

I decided some time ago that I wanted to get a Specialized bike and initially had decided on a Hardrock. I can get a 2010 Hardrock Disc for £314.10 http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=21403&categoryID=60 and having done some looking around this seems to be a pretty good deal.

However on the same website they also have a 2009 P2 AM on sale at £329.59 - down from £439.45. http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=17368&categoryID=423

During my initial research the Hardrock seemed to be rated as an excellent bike for beginners so I would have gone with this, and reading a few threads on here the P2 seems to be heavier and the wheels and forks not the best quality, but with the P2 on sale I would like to know what you guys on here think - is the Hardrock the better choice for me, or the P2?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Phil.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'd say ride both. I've talked to the guys at my LBS and they said the geometry is much more compact on the P2 compared to the Hardrock. You better make sure the riding position isn't uncomfortable before you settle for the bike on sale!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Swengo. I tried a Hard Rock when I first started to look around last summer and was very happy with it, but seeing that P2 on sale made me think whether that was a better option. I've since decided to stick with the Hard Rock so I ordered one the other day!

·
Registered
125 Posts
PhillyG said:
Thanks Swengo. I tried a Hard Rock when I first started to look around last summer and was very happy with it, but seeing that P2 on sale made me think whether that was a better option. I've since decided to stick with the Hard Rock so I ordered one the other day!
You'll be happy with the Hardrock. My first mountain bike was a 2002 Hardrock Comp. I put that bike through absolute hell (i.e., riding on trails that were way too advanced for the bike). Although I had to upgrade the components over the years, that frame was totally bomb proof!! Good choice to go with the Hardrock!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ride a P1 AM frame and just love it.

I come from a more gravity oriented school, so a burlier frame is nice for me.

In my opinion you should ride both, but I´d go with the P2 as you are a big guy that will for sure appreciate the extra burlyness of the bike and feel a lot safer on it.

My bike is totally up-graded now, but the SRAM X.4 drivetrain and AVID brakes work just fine, so first up-grades I´d reccomend are fork and brake levers...

Here´s mine:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.