Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some Edge 705 help; I'm pretty pathetic with computers/technology, but I'm trying to learn how to use the 705...

I want to do a local mtb race, and the promoter has thoughtfully provided the course gpx files; how do I get that onto my 705?

I tried saving the script that popped up when I clicked on the link, as .gpx file in Apple's TextEdit, then I tried to manually upload to the GarminConnect, with no luck...

Any advice?

The race promoter's page is here:
http://www.trailspinners.org/fhclassic.html

The gpx files are at the bottom of the page.

Thanks in advance, if anyone can help me.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,562 Posts
open the gpx in the pc-based software of your choice (Garmin Mapsource, Garmin Training Center, Sporttracks - all free, or Topofusion - free version, or one of many others, just not National Geographic Topo! because it will wreck the original file when trying to send it to your GPS), then click the "send to GPS" option.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
So are you on a Mac or PC? The 705 should show as a drive, and download the file to the gpx or courses directory under garmin on that removable drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm trying to do the exact same thing.

I copied the file into the gpx directory. When I try to pull it up using "menu" button, "Where To", "Saved Rides", a list comes up showing a number of individual components of the route, not the whole route at once.

How do I deal with this to see the whole route at once?

·
EDR
10,314 Posts
Like Nate said. Open the file using Mapsource (Garmin product). The trail and all it's data will be shown. Then plug you're gps into the pc and select "send to device" under the "transfer" tab in mapsource.

Even if you have a Mac I don't see why this wouldn't also apply.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help! My error was in not realizing that I needed something other than Garmin connect.

Garmin Training Center did the trick...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts