Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'6" and just recently bought a small frame (16") cannondale 1fg hardtail. [its sweet]
this model came with the rigid fork.

I was thinking about an upgrade to a suspension fork and have no idea what a couple of terms mean:

when you are discussing 80mm, 100mm vs. 120mm. . .what are you referring to exactly.
I thought it was the length of the fork, but saw some posts that led me to believe it had something to do with the shock compression etc . . .(im sure its all related)

as I search around for an upgrade I was wondering where to start.
If in fact it has to do with the overall length of the fork I would assume I would want the 80mm, as anything longer might screw up the geometry of the bike.

I'm a light, non-aggressive rider. . mostly urban riding and some park riding . .can you help steer me in the right direction to continue my research?

thanks

lomoid

·
Registered
799 Posts
Those lengths are the amount of travel the fork compresses through, so 80mm you have 80mm up and down travel. I would be careful with a rigid-oriented frame and anything over 80mm especially forks which have a large A-C length (axle to crown) coz as you said it screws up the geometry, not to mention it places undue stress on the headtube.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok then . . .?

nnn said:
Those lengths are the amount of travel the fork compresses through, so 80mm you have 80mm up and down travel. I would be careful with a rigid-oriented frame and anything over 80mm especially forks which have a large A-C length (axle to crown) coz as you said it screws up the geometry, not to mention it places undue stress on the headtube.
then::
should the fully extented fork+post = the same hieght as my current fork?
is that what I am ultimately looking for?

thanks

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I'm not sure what travel the 1fg is designed for (you should ask on the singlespeed board, there's a few guys over there with 'em), but you want the fork with sag (usually 10-20% of travel) factored in to match the axle-crown length of your fork. So a 100mm fork will have 80-90mm travel with sag factored in. 10% sag being more XC/race oriented and 20% sag being more all around comfort & 'trail' oriented.

lomoid said:
then::
should the fully extented fork+post = the same hieght as my current fork?
is that what I am ultimately looking for?

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.