Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

newbie...first bike???

3K views 60 replies 17 participants last post by  weenfreek 
#1 ·
hi there....im a newbie here so be patient with me.:)

im looking on getting me and my wife a bike so we can start riding every weekend. im not looking on spending a lot on our first bike so i came across this bike called "K2". im familiar with their other stuff but dont really know anything about their bike line. how are these bikes and are they upgradeable if ever i decide on doing it??? here is a link on the one that im planning on getting....

K2 BIKE

thanks guys!!!

#2 ·
I don't know much about that particular bike, but I can say that the K2 bikes are good for entry level usage. You can look at some more of them on performancebikes.com

I will also say that in mountain biking, you really do get what you pay for, so it's always a good idea to get the best that you can afford. It almost always ends up cheaper to buy a bike with better components already on it than to get better components later. But, if you don't have any more money in the budget than what that bike costs, then this is so much better than going to Walmart.

Also, look around a bit and maybe ride a few bikes just to get a feel for what's comfortable and what you like. It'll really help you down the road if you decide that you want to invest more in the sport.

Good luck!

#3 ·
I've been riding a borrowed full suspenion K2 attack (2000). It's a decent ride. It was a rental bike at a ski shop. If you live near any bike rental places, check out if they sell the older ones, you can pick up a good bike for a good price.

I would suggest test riding as many as you can of course. Also you may look into starting with an entry level bike priced at $350-$450 simply because you may not bike as much as you thought you would or intended to. I rode a Schwinn mesa for 8 years, it had ok componets but was basicly an entry level. I got it for $450 and never had any problems with it. I rode it quite often. It really comes down to how much you are comfortable paying.

You may also see if you can rent a bike for a weekend and see how much you like it.

#4 ·
any $199 bike is

about rock bottom price, and as always, you get what you pay for.

If you can find the $, go to a good bike store you feel you can trust, have them fit you, and then ride away into the sunset. any $200 special means you're on your own for fit, service, etc. Spend a bit more, and you'll get that fit, a better bike you might upgrade (the K2 isn't worth it) service for the 1st year free for minor adjustments, and maybe some shop rides and new friends.

and if then you find you don't want to ride, you gave it a fair try, and shouldn't have any problems selling a good quality bike. The K2 will go for pawn shop value of $50 or so, regardless of how shiny it is. Check the sticky post, top of the Beginners' forum on Dept Store bikes.

Just my .02, Jim

#6 ·
jun_1.8T said:
hi there....im a newbie here so be patient with me.:)

im looking on getting me and my wife a bike so we can start riding every weekend. im not looking on spending a lot on our first bike so i came across this bike called "K2". im familiar with their other stuff but dont really know anything about their bike line. how are these bikes and are they upgradeable if ever i decide on doing it??? here is a link on the one that im planning on getting....

K2 BIKE

thanks guys!!!
Check out my post on the Mongoose XR 200. I think you would be very happy with this model.

#7 ·
& Check out my post on Dept Store bikes

stay away.

An excellent article at ConsumerReports.org titled "Cheap bikes are not bargains"

Wal-Mart and Toys "R" Us sell plenty of bikes from brands such as Huffy, Mongoose, Roadmaster, and Schwinn for $100 to $200. They seem like good deals, so why would we advise you to spend $300 or more for a bike in the Ratings (available to subscribers)?

Because you get what you pay for. Mass-market bikes have cheaper construction than higher-priced bikes and can weigh 7 or 8 pounds more. They come in only one size, so you're not likely to get a great fit. And mass merchants can't match bike shops for quality of assembly, expert advice, and service.

In the long run, performance matters most, so we tried out two full-suspension bikes and one front-suspension model from the big-box stores, priced at $120 to $230. Shifting of the full-suspension bikes' 21 speeds wasn't nearly as smooth as on bike-shop models. Shock absorption and handling were fair to decent on pavement and on smooth dirt paths, but these so-called mountain bikes couldn't handle rough off-road terrain. On steep paved roads, the extra weight, poor gearing, and mushy suspensions made pedaling uphill very hard.

The front-suspension model, also with 21 speeds, did much better on pavement and on fairly smooth dirt trails--but only after we adjusted the sloppy setup to make it roadworthy. Plus it comes in only one size, so fit will be hit or miss.

Consider cheaper bikes from a department store only for the most casual adult use, and stick with a front-suspension model, which is likely to be better than a cheap full-suspension bike. You may want a mass-market bike for kids who will outgrow a bike quickly or toss it about.

Still, if your budget allows, we'd recommend that you buy one of the $300 comfort bikes in the Ratings (available to subscribers). You'll get a lot more bike for the buck.

#8 ·
JimC. said:
stay away.

An excellent article at ConsumerReports.org titled "Cheap bikes are not bargains"

Wal-Mart and Toys "R" Us sell plenty of bikes from brands such as Huffy, Mongoose, Roadmaster, and Schwinn for $100 to $200. They seem like good deals, so why would we advise you to spend $300 or more for a bike in the Ratings (available to subscribers)?

Because you get what you pay for. Mass-market bikes have cheaper construction than higher-priced bikes and can weigh 7 or 8 pounds more. They come in only one size, so you're not likely to get a great fit. And mass merchants can't match bike shops for quality of assembly, expert advice, and service.

In the long run, performance matters most, so we tried out two full-suspension bikes and one front-suspension model from the big-box stores, priced at $120 to $230. Shifting of the full-suspension bikes' 21 speeds wasn't nearly as smooth as on bike-shop models. Shock absorption and handling were fair to decent on pavement and on smooth dirt paths, but these so-called mountain bikes couldn't handle rough off-road terrain. On steep paved roads, the extra weight, poor gearing, and mushy suspensions made pedaling uphill very hard.

The front-suspension model, also with 21 speeds, did much better on pavement and on fairly smooth dirt trails--but only after we adjusted the sloppy setup to make it roadworthy. Plus it comes in only one size, so fit will be hit or miss.

Consider cheaper bikes from a department store only for the most casual adult use, and stick with a front-suspension model, which is likely to be better than a cheap full-suspension bike. You may want a mass-market bike for kids who will outgrow a bike quickly or toss it about.

Still, if your budget allows, we'd recommend that you buy one of the $300 comfort bikes in the Ratings (available to subscribers). You'll get a lot more bike for the buck.
If you haven't had the chance to actually test this specific model then you can't formulate an opinion on it. The Mongoose XR 200 is an exceptional buy and bike. A lot more thought went into this model than previous models and the effort paid off. Copy and paste is so 90's lol. Take it from somone who owns this model. It is definately worth checking out!

#9 ·
Mongoose Pilot said:
If you haven't had the chance to actually test this specific model then you can't formulate an opinion on it. The Mongoose XR 200 is an exceptional buy and bike. A lot more thought went into this model than previous models and the effort paid off. Copy and paste is so 90's lol. Take it from somone who owns this model. It is definately worth checking out!
How about this. You post a video of yourself or someone else riding this bike on a real MTB trail, and I'll pay attention.

#10 ·
Tons

laxman2001 said:
How about this. You post a video of yourself or someone else riding this bike on a real MTB trail, and I'll pay attention.
I have tons of pics but seriously this isn't about you. It's about people who don't have disposable income to waste on over priced items. As much as experience as you have one would think you would know better. Go post in the expensive threads where you would be more comfortable and let us have fun here where we can save $$$!.

#11 ·
No this is about experienced riders and those who have done research making sure that a newb doesn't screw himself by buying a crap bike just because some troll told him to. I'm open minded enough that i will admit there is a minuscule possibility that the Mongoose might not be complete crap (my old one as a kid wasn't THAT bad). But, since you are
A. such a huge proponent of this bike. and
B. the sad truth that most bikes under $350, especially the "full suspension" ones, suck,
The burden of proof lies upon your shoulders.
It certainly doesn't help that the first link if you google this bike is from Wal-Mart.

#12 ·
laxman2001 said:
No this is about experienced riders and those who have done research making sure that a newb doesn't screw himself by buying a crap bike just because some troll told him to. I'm open minded enough that i will admit there is a minuscule possibility that the Mongoose might not be complete crap (my old one as a kid wasn't THAT bad). But, since you are
A. such a huge proponent of this bike. and
B. the sad truth that most bikes under $350, especially the "full suspension" ones, suck,
The burden of proof lies upon your shoulders.
It certainly doesn't help that the first link if you google this bike is from Wal-Mart.
Well, the article written about department store bikes was very informative but was written before the XR 200 came out so it couldn't possibly be unbiased. Calling me a troll only shows your lack of maturity. I did expect more from someone with your experience and as far as the burden of truth is concerned, the bike has done nothing but perform exceptionally for me.

Now, I can see how someone with no experince in tuning and maintaining a bike would claim that cheaper bikes are junk. That is just their lack of experience and would be expected. It doesn't matter what kind of bike you have or how much it costs, the fact of the matter is if you abuse anything, regardless of quality, it is bound to fail eventually. The pricier systems would be far more expensive to repair than a department store bike. Furthermore, Mongoose as well as Walmart has an exceptional warranty and they are quick to replace anything a buyer might have a problem with without question. So, in closing, I am sticking to my story about the Mongoose XR 200. You should try one out just to see first hand that it is a great buy and if you don't like it Walmart has an exceptional return policy. Use it for up to 30 days and if you don't agree just return it for a full refund and then no one has a reason to be upset or be set back on cash.

Ride Safe! Save Money!

#13 ·
My Mongoose 200

Well, I currently have a MG 200, and after 3 years of tough use (commuting every day, some trail riding) and 2 of light use (5 years total), I finally need a new bike. I do have this to say about my bike:

-the brakes wear out- I constantly had to adjust them
-it doesn't rust easily
-the rear hub needs constant tightening
-the seat is uncomfortable
-the gears are finicky
-it's durable

So that's my opinion of the MG 200. I was supposed to outgrow it long ago, but since I couldn't afford a new bike, I had to stop growing. Now that I have a job, I can continue. Six-two, here I come!

#14 ·
fortunately we're safe, as is the OP...

Walmart.com $173.37 Not Available at this time Coming Soon
Preorders Sold Out
Out of Stock Online
This item is being discontinued. Availability is limited.

Given that a good fork costs about $300 and up, one can only imagine what's in a bike costing $180 including the fork. :rolleyes:

Jim

#15 ·
Wrong

JimC. said:
Walmart.com $173.37 Not Available at this time Coming Soon
Preorders Sold Out
Out of Stock Online
This item is being discontinued. Availability is limited.

Given that a good fork costs about $300 and up, one can only imagine what's in a bike costing $180 including the fork. :rolleyes:

Jim
Actually there are two models called the "XR 200" the one you quoted is the old model. The new one is in stock and ready for puchase at your local store!

Ride Safe.

#16 ·
Bravo!

ianrab said:
Well, I currently have a MG 200, and after 3 years of tough use (commuting every day, some trail riding) and 2 of light use (5 years total), I finally need a new bike. I do have this to say about my bike:

-the brakes wear out- I constantly had to adjust them
-it doesn't rust easily
-the rear hub needs constant tightening
-the seat is uncomfortable
-the gears are finicky
-it's durable

So that's my opinion of the MG 200. I was supposed to outgrow it long ago, but since I couldn't afford a new bike, I had to stop growing. Now that I have a job, I can continue. Six-two, here I come!
Think of all the money you saved!

#17 ·
Well, I call you a troll only because you have thus far spoken about exactly one thing: the awesomeness of your $200 bike. Now, for all I know it may very well be a good bike. Myself and the vast majority of other MTBR members will probably agree that it most likely isn't.

Furthermore, you have failed to provide any substantive proof that it is in fact a good bike other than your emphatic praise. A review, media of you riding it, any of these would be acceptable. Instead, you have insulted myself and my fellow forum members.

And, while all bikes may eventually fail, it is both my and most others' experiences that department store bikes will fail a lot sooner.

If it were possible to make a fantastic dual suspension bike under $200, someone would have done it already, as they would have made a killing. I seriously doubt Wal-Mart is that visionary.

#18 ·
wrong.

ride safely, safely is an adverb. Unfortunately your English grammar was apparently learned from a Walmart textbook, on sale for $1.59 but hey, it's a deal right? Otherwise it would be stated as "ride (a) safe bike" still missing the preposition. You need a noun to complete the phrase.

Anyone advising a beginner to start off with a dept. store bike is simply advising incorrectly. Period. It's not good advice, it's not of any help to them. And worst of all, if they aren't like you, they won't take up riding. Next time maybe stop and consider your advice, the ramifications thereof, and if it applies to beginners.

If you can't grasp this concept, then no-one can help you. While I'm glad you like your ride, like all bikes, advice for each rider is different.

...and if Walmart's got them back in stock, then tell them to fix their website, not me.

Jim

#19 ·
"for all I know it may very well be a good bike"

laxman2001 said:
Well, I call you a troll only because you have thus far spoken about exactly one thing: the awesomeness of your $200 bike. Now, for all I know it may very well be a good bike. Myself and the vast majority of other MTBR members will probably agree that it most likely isn't.

Furthermore, you have failed to provide any substantive proof that it is in fact a good bike other than your emphatic praise. A review, media of you riding it, any of these would be acceptable. Instead, you have insulted myself and my fellow forum members.

And, while all bikes may eventually fail, it is both my and most others' experiences that department store bikes will fail a lot sooner.

If it were possible to make a fantastic dual suspension bike under $200, someone would have done it already, as they would have made a killing. I seriously doubt Wal-Mart is that visionary.
For all you know about it is nothing it seems. Very closed minded response. You are the one insulting people. You don't own one, have never tested one and I just got back from a 20 mile ride without a hitch. It was AWESOME! Don't be jealouse lol!

I will keep posting pics and updates about my awesome ride, and again, don't be mad because you don't have one. Like I said, don't take my word for it, go get one and test it yourself. If you don't like it then take it back for a full refund. How cool is that? You are the only person that can formulate an opinion on something and then it is only your opinion and it may not be suitable for every rider on the planet. I never said everyone needs a Mongoose XR 200, just the budget minded group that wants a good deal for the amount of quality and craftsmanship this bike offers.

Not everyone will like this bike (read "bitter bikers") but they sell a lot of them so something must be going right for this great American company, otherwise they would have folded along with all the other companies asking the government for handouts. Think about that and try to be a little more open minded.

Ride Safe and SAVE MONEY!

#20 ·
Mongoose Pilot said:
(read "bitter bikers")...
What, exactly, is that supposed to mean? What are your criteria for someone being a "bitter biker"? Is it that we don't happen to like your bike? Cuz, like, I don't give a damn if anyone likes my bike or not, and I certainly don't call them names if they don't. Or....is it because they paid more than $XX for their bike....which is totally none of your business. Or...do you just like to stir the pot and piss people off, hence making them "bitter bikers"? Which would be completely stupid because they'd be "bitter typers" not "bitter bikers".

#21 ·
Mongoose Pilot said:
For all you know about it is nothing it seems. Very closed minded response. You are the one insulting people. You don't own one, have never tested one and I just got back from a 20 mile ride without a hitch. It was AWESOME! Don't be jealouse lol!

I will keep posting pics and updates about my awesome ride, and again, don't be mad because you don't have one. Like I said, don't take my word for it, go get one and test it yourself. If you don't like it then take it back for a full refund. How cool is that? You are the only person that can formulate an opinion on something and then it is only your opinion and it may not be suitable for every rider on the planet. I never said everyone needs a Mongoose XR 200, just the budget minded group that wants a good deal for the amount of quality and craftsmanship this bike offers.

Not everyone will like this bike (read "bitter bikers") but they sell a lot of them so something must be going right for this great American company, otherwise they would have folded along with all the other companies asking the government for handouts. Think about that and try to be a little more open minded.

Ride Safe and SAVE MONEY!
Well, I'm glad you like your bike. I like mine. From my limited experience and the advice I have heard I will continue to steer people in my direction.
And YOU have never tested my bike, and may or may not have tested a $1000 bike. I don't know, and will choose not to make an assumption. I would like to ask. How much does it weigh?
And I wouldn't call any of my biking experiences bitter. If my $120 cheapie hadn't been such a P.O.S. I never would have gotten a nicer bike and never would have gotten into the sport.

#22 ·
bitter biker

Swthrtsuzy said:
What, exactly, is that supposed to mean? What are your criteria for someone being a "bitter biker"? Is it that we don't happen to like your bike? Cuz, like, I don't give a damn if anyone likes my bike or not, and I certainly don't call them names if they don't. Or....is it because they paid more than $XX for their bike....which is totally none of your business. Or...do you just like to stir the pot and piss people off, hence making them "bitter bikers"? Which would be completely stupid because they'd be "bitter typers" not "bitter bikers".
It means this:

1. They don't own and have never tested (brand X) bike.
2. No matter what you say, you aren't entittled to your own opinion because they know more than everyone else. If you don't believe me just ask them.
3. Regardless of what you say, even if you own (brand X) bike, you are considered a troll, foolish or simply dismissed without any investigation on the part of the bitter biker.

That pretty much sums it up. Now that isn't to say that expensive bikes aren't worth it. I think they are but not everyone has a ton of money to throw at an expensive bike. Maybe they just want a casual bike for slow rides on the jogging trail. I can't see dropping $1k+ on a casual riding bike but I can see dropping $200 or less and getting a lot more than one would need for it.

Ride Safe

#23 ·
nice

laxman2001 said:
Well, I'm glad you like your bike. I like mine. From my limited experience and the advice I have heard I will continue to steer people in my direction.
And YOU have never tested my bike, and may or may not have tested a $1000 bike. I don't know, and will choose not to make an assumption. I would like to ask. How much does it weigh?
And I wouldn't call any of my biking experiences bitter. If my $120 cheapie hadn't been such a P.O.S. I never would have gotten a nicer bike and never would have gotten into the sport.
You are right, I have never tested your bike and don't plan on it as I am sure you do not plan on testing mine. I am mature enough to agree to disagree and just leave it at that.

If I remember correctly it is about 42-43 lbs. However, I wanted a slightly heavier system because of the advantages it would provide for my strength and endurance. So not everyone buys a bike for the same reasons. Keep that in mind when you attack someone for their choices because it may be for a completely different set of motives than yours. There is nothing wrong with somone making thier own educated choice for their specific needs.

I would call your opinion bitter because you have not given the XR a fair trial. But that is just my opinion and it may not be suitable for everyone. I am a big enough person to admit that.

Congrats on your choice to enter the sport. I hope you enjoy your bike and get years of satifaction and safe fun from it. Not everyone wants to enter a sport, some just want a nice quiet ride and although this bike may not be suitable for extreme conditions it can handle light to medium weekend jaunts without any discernable problems. And like I said, if something does break you won't be waiting months for a new part or shelling out hundreds for it. Just call customer service and they will ship it out asap without question. I know this first hand so it's not like I am just copy/pasting someone elses review.

Ride Safe!

#24 ·
jun 1.8t,
I would be a little leary of the K2 bikes. I was recently looking at one of their bikes and found that some of the components were very cheap, nonbrand junk, for a bike that had a list price of 599.
Being on a very tight budget ,I set myself a 500 limit, I thought the Forge Sawback seemed to be a good value. http://www.forgebikes.com/
But I ended up getting this https://shop.ingdirect.com/Product_...CatID=1&guid=37EB41E30161459CAFA49FC95E8FBCA7 , had a 15% off coupon so it ended up costing 392.50 shipped.
The real ? is how you intend to use your bike. For some a Wal-mart Mongoose is great, others require a 2500$ ride. But there are lots of good deals out there if you look hard enough.

#25 ·
I had a wal-mart mongoose for a while before I started hitting trails. Even just around town the brakes were terrible, derailleurs never stayed adjusted correctly, and it was a FS and felt like riding on a waterbed.

So I have tested it and owned one, and can say do not waste time or money on it. For slightly more I found a used GF Wahoo on Craigslist and it is night and day difference.

So I have tested the Trance X2 as well.....and soon as money gets saved that is the ride for me.

And to your point about buying the goose, riding, and saving money.....hoax.
Mongoose purchase $175
Crapped after 1 month, frustration and aggrivation cant put a price on
Had to give the bike away, since no one would buy it (and I felt bad for the guy that I gave it to!!)
GF Wahoo + Helmet + Tools $300

So in a sense buying the Mongoose cost me $475 plus aggrivating the crap out of me, where I could have saved $175 by buying a decent entry level bike to start with.

Saying will never get old, "you get what you pay for."

and for the OP, I have quite a few family members who have purchased Giant Boulder SE's and one got a deal on a last year model Spec Hard Rock....all in the 299-375 range new that I saw.

#26 ·
Bravo!

asheck said:
jun 1.8t,
I would be a little leary of the K2 bikes. I was recently looking at one of their bikes and found that some of the components were very cheap, nonbrand junk, for a bike that had a list price of 599.
Being on a very tight budget ,I set myself a 500 limit, I thought the Forge Sawback seemed to be a good value. http://www.forgebikes.com/
But I ended up getting this https://shop.ingdirect.com/Product_...CatID=1&guid=37EB41E30161459CAFA49FC95E8FBCA7 , had a 15% off coupon so it ended up costing 392.50 shipped.
The real ? is how you intend to use your bike. For some a Wal-mart Mongoose is great, others require a 2500$ ride. But there are lots of good deals out there if you look hard enough.
Well put!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.