Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Kona. I pieced together bit by bit and built her myself. Now I'm stoked on it. Can't wait to ride her this weekend. Here's she is. Does anyone have any advice as to setting up the rear shock? The manual says the DHX sag is determined by the preload on the spring so how much air and how much preload do you guys recommend?

05 Stinky Frame w/DHX 3.0- $600- Closeout The Path
Truvative Stem- $10 Closeout (Ebay)
SRAM X9 Shifters- $40- Ebay (new)
Azonic Outlaw Wheelset- $225 new (Beyondbikes.com)
Truvativ Hozfeller Crank $130 new closeout (Beyondbikes.com)
Avid Juicy 5 brakes- $220 Ebay new
SRAM X7 Mid Cage R Der. $50 Ebay New
Shimano LX F Der $22 Ebay New
SRAM PG 980 Cassette $43 Ebay New
Truvativ Gigapipe Team BB $41 new closeout (Beyondbikes.com)
Maxxis Mobster 2.5 Tires- $13x2- $26- Jensonusa
Truvative Team DH bars- free
FSA Pig DH pro Headset- $35 Ebay New
Raceface Seatpost- $20 used The Path
Manitou Sherman Slider + $250
Grips-Free from Beyond Bikes
Shimano M645 Pedals- Free
Terry Fly Saddle- Free
THE grips-Free

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from my first ride. Some thoughts:

-Man, what a difference in weight pedaling up! I'm beat!
-Had to much air in the Sherman which made the SPV too active on the small bumps. I'll try to take some out
-Definitely going to pick up a chain tensioner!
-Going to try platforms now
-That SRAM 980 is completely silent compared to the 990. I snuck up on a couple of people!
-Need to raise the seat to climb for sure
-Mobsters were a bit washy in the mudier stuff. Could be my weight distro though.
-All in all it was cool. I burned down Rock-it faster than ever before and it's not even dialed in yet!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
phxartboy, your Stinky is also gigantic.

Chainguides are real nice.

Remember to keep the minimum pressure in the SPV. I think it's 30 PSI. If you want it to track the ground better and be plusher, you can devolve it.

The cassette shouldn't really be making much noise?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I ordered the Blackspire Stinger for a chain guide. Just taking out two links the other day made a huge difference. I've got the fork at 40PSI which I think is the minimum. I believe 30PSI could void the warranty if it blows? Not sure but that's what folks are saying. Because I have to ride to my trails, I don't mind the SPV but since it's reversable, why not? :) As for the cassette, that's what I thought until I got my Mongoose Tecocali Super with a 990 on the back. Man, that thing is loud! Loudest I've heard. My buddies is the same way. Is there a good lube I could use to get rid of it? Thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
ehansen007 said:
As for the cassette, that's what I thought until I got my Mongoose Tecocali Super with a 990 on the back. Man, that thing is loud! Loudest I've heard. My buddies is the same way. Is there a good lube I could use to get rid of it? Thanks.
Cassettes don't make any noise...it's the freehub on the rear wheel. The noise level depends on the design of the hub.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.