Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All...I have been lurking on the board for a couple days now, there's tons of great info on here indeed. After losing a bunch of weight, I have been riding trails for a little over a year now. Bought a Fisher hardtail last year to get started, just sold that (had a buyer, couldn't pass on the chance). I am now working with a local dealer to build up a Heckler.

My post was generally to say, "What's up???" to all out there, but I will take any general advice on building a Heckler.

xdefx

·
Registered
868 Posts
Give us some general information on what you are planning to ride, your size, where you live... what you would like to ride if you can work up to it, what you like about your current bike, and what you don't. Then I'm sure people will be glad to jump in with suggestions.

Also, let us know your current plan on how you want the bike speced.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
At least...

your riding style. Weight helps a lot too.

Say, I've seen Hecklers with forks from Zoke MX Comp to Zoke Monster T's. It depends on what you want to do with the bike.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More details....

Right on. I am about 220lbs. I live and ride in the Cleveland, OH area, mostly singletrack (XC, north shore style with a little DH). I would consider myself a novice but willing to take on new stuff and willing to learn. I have hooked up with some friends who ride, they've been helping me a lot. I have been doing a little freeride when I am riding around town with my wife. I would like to be a little more aggressive and gradually take on more stuff. I did a few minor tweaks to the Fisher I just sold and I pulled some stuff off before I let it go. Here's what I got:

FOX Vanilla 100RL
I added the heavy spring and really liked the fork. I didn't have to think about it out on the trail. I am thinking of selling and moving to 130mm. I want to be able to climb decent and descend good too, without having a geometry that's too radical.
Easton EA70 Stem
FSA FR-270 1.5" Riser Bar
Sun Rhyno Lite/Deore Disc Wheelset
Avid Mechanicals
WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4 (rolls nice on the road and hardpack, grips pretty good in the loose stuff)

I have settled on the Heckler for it's simple yet solid/beefy design. I want a bike I can ride everywhere. I don't want to say money is no object - I am trying to determine where to spend and where to save. I know I will spend on the fork for example, but might save on a front derailleur.

Thanks.

·
Registered
868 Posts
xdefx said:
FOX Vanilla 100RL
I added the heavy spring and really liked the fork. I didn't have to think about it out on the trail. I am thinking of selling and moving to 130mm. I want to be able to climb decent and descend good too, without having a geometry that's too radical.
Easton EA70 Stem
FSA FR-270 1.5" Riser Bar
Sun Rhyno Lite/Deore Disc Wheelset
Avid Mechanicals
WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4 (rolls nice on the road and hardpack, grips pretty good in the loose stuff)
Looks like you have a good start. The Fox is internally convertible to 125mm, which would do well on the heckler for no extra cost. You should be able to look up the conversion in a manual, or just have the LBS do it. I have used MutanoRaptors, and do not like them in the front at all. When you get into loose sketchy downhills, the skate around too much. I would suggest a 2.5 Weirwolf for the front (the light non-downhill one). From what you have listed, I would just make those changes and stick with what else you have... sounds pretty solid.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
You're good to go...

Your choices sound pretty solid.

I don't know if the Vanilla can be taken up to 125 but if not you can get something from the Zoke Z series. Maybe the Drop Off 1 (w/ETA) which go up to 130mm and is more suitable for drops and jumps.

The wheelset is OK but you could try the Kenda's Nevegals and Blue Groove (go to the Wheels and Tires forum) on 2.3 (a wider tire will not fit as you say you're doing some XC stuff).

Get a 185mm rotor for your front Avid.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Your choices sound pretty solid.

I don't know if the Vanilla can be taken up to 125 but if not you can get something from the Zoke Z series. Maybe the Drop Off 1 (w/ETA) which go up to 130mm and is more suitable for drops and jumps.

The wheelset is OK but you could try the Kenda's Nevegals and Blue Groove (go to the Wheels and Tires forum) on 2.3 (a wider tire will not fit as you say you're doing some XC stuff).

Get a 185mm rotor for your front Avid.
Since you already have a nicely damped cartridge fork (the fox), I think you would be disappointed in an SSV/SSVF marzocchis. I love marzocchis but the ported dampers are terrible feeling, especially after you have ridden their HCSV or a fox. Stick with the fox or spend the money on a Z1 FR, but steer clear of the drop off.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,916 Posts
xdefx said:
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it.

Hey Warp2003, why the 7 inch rotor on the front and not the back?
Front brakes are the more powerful ones because that's where most of the stopping comings from. This is true in all vehicles with wheels. As you decelerate, the weight shifts forwards, unloading the back wheel and reducing its traction and thus how efficiently it decelerates. At the same time, front wheel traction increases and it becomes more efficient at decelerating you.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
What he said and....

DeeEight said:
Front brakes are the more powerful ones because that's where most of the stopping comings from. This is true in all vehicles with wheels. As you decelerate, the weight shifts forwards, unloading the back wheel and reducing its traction and thus how efficiently it decelerates. At the same time, front wheel traction increases and it becomes more efficient at decelerating you.
You might want to have a smaller disc at the rear so you should not apply too much braking when pulling hard on the lever. As Dee said, weight shifts to the front and skidding the rear becomes very easy. A skidding tire is like trying to brake "Flintstones" style. Case you should want even more power or long-brake-dragging descents are in your trails you might want a 8" disc front and 7" rear for better heat dissipation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts