Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am running a Strong Arm II setup that is 170mm. Is it okay if I were to get a 175 mm Crankset? Looking to replace the Strong Arm II with a Shimano XTR set, but its length is 175mm instead. Don't want to hinder my riding when turning and hitting my front wheel. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
you ain't gonna hit the front tire with 175s

montgod said:
I currently am running a Strong Arm II setup that is 170mm. Is it okay if I were to get a 175 mm Crankset? Looking to replace the Strong Arm II with a Shimano XTR set, but its length is 175mm instead. Don't want to hinder my riding when turning and hitting my front wheel. Thanks in advance for your help.
A half centimeter is what, about the thickness of a finger, or less? So point your 170mm crank arm forward with yer finger on the end and steer the front end around, see if you can make it hit your finger. Possible on some road bikes I've had. Highly doubtful on any production mountain bike.
Crank length has to do with leg length, which usually correlates strongly with height. You don't say your height, so no clue here what length is right. I'd say if in doubt, go longer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...

I am actually 5'8 riding on a M or 17 Specialized StumpJumper. Which is the best length for me to use to get the most out of my cranks? Thanks again.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
montgod said:
I am actually 5'8 riding on a M or 17 Specialized StumpJumper. Which is the best length for me to use to get the most out of my cranks? Thanks again.
IMHO 175mm is what you need.

175mm is the standard on MTBs, some really tall people will get 180mm or guys riding SS bikes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts