Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to mtn biking and I have a M50 Raleigh and idk if its a good bike? I am looking to buy a new bike under 600 bucks if possible. Anyone have suggestions on a new bike or should i just upgrade my bike and ride it? I'd love to save money because I'm a college student. Any ideas on a great bike for unbeatable price? used or new

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm not really familiar with Raliegh, so I can't offer an opinion on your current rig, but if you're looking for a new bike, check out the Specialized HardRock or RockHopper. I know the HardRock can be had for less than $600, and I'm pretty sure you can get on a RockHopper under that mark, as well. Visit a Local Bike Shop and check them out, if you get the chance.

Ross

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
A couple of ideas

If you're looking used, check the local Craigslist. From there check the mtbr classifieds, and lastly, Ebay. You will probably find some deals here on bikes that were bought, owner rode a few times, then lost interest. If buying new, a leftover from your LBS is a great option, as they are typically discounted. Direct from online vendors like Ibex and Kinly is a good idea if you are comfortable buying sight undeen. here's a great bike for $600. Only drawback is that the fork is not ideal for riders over 150-175 lbs, IMO.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-650-Details.html

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you get a good fit when ordering off of the internet? Does IBEX have a way of helping you order the right size aside form just s,m,l? I have been dealing with the hassle of trying to properly fit myself to my bike since I didn't get it at the LBS. I think I need a different stem, but don't know for sure. Really wish I would have just went to the LBS (over an hour away) in the first place. At least they could have swapped stems for me for cheap if that is what I needed. I don't want to just drop coin on a new stem if I'm not sure it will help with the numb hands. I'm not even sure what kind of stem to get.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was fortunate enought to have a local bike shop that helped me pick a bike that was a good starter for me. If you can find a good bike shop they can be a lot of help.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Navtrtl said:
How do you get a good fit when ordering off of the internet? Does IBEX have a way of helping you order the right size aside form just s,m,l? I have been dealing with the hassle of trying to properly fit myself to my bike since I didn't get it at the LBS. I think I need a different stem, but don't know for sure. Really wish I would have just went to the LBS (over an hour away) in the first place. At least they could have swapped stems for me for cheap if that is what I needed. I don't want to just drop coin on a new stem if I'm not sure it will help with the numb hands. I'm not even sure what kind of stem to get.
This problem comes up alot & with either a shop or net you may need to get adjustments made. You can buy a bike at a dealer that feels good to you then go out & ride some trails & the fit is not correct. There are adjustments that can be made in hopes of making the bike fit you that you yourself can do. If the fit is still of then you need to make the trip to the dealer for there help. You can buy a bike off the net you put the wheels, seat & handle bar on & adjust to what feels comfortable to you, once again you may have to do fine tuning after or on a trail ride. If you still dont feel comfortable then it's off to the dealer. You can call Ibex for advise on fitting beffor & after a purchase, there customer service is fantastic they dont cut the line after you buy & tell you to bad your on your own. Ibex does offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, you pay the return shipping.
Numb hands can be caused from handle bar adjustment, lever placement, seat height & handgrips. If those adjustments dont help then it's off to the dealer in search of more help. :)

http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm

http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Secure/Fitting/Height.asp

·
Registered
105 Posts
The best thing you can do is talk to your local bike shop. They can help with fit and component groups. When you talk to them you should be able to get a feel for them to see if they are just in it for the sale or they want to get you on the best bike for money and fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts