Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at getting more serious about mountain biking. I currently have a hard tail that I bought at Target about 10 years ago. So I was looking at upgrading my ride. I have been looking at lbs and I thought I was all set on buying a hard tail. But it seems a lot of stores carry way more fs bikes. So I guess my question is what type of bike is good for Colorado trails? Some stores seem to tell me that fs bikes are the best.

My rides would be split into different things. I am looking to do some family fun rides pulling a trailer. I eventually want it to lead into doing some more mountain trails but don't know what to expect there yet since I have never ridden any of them.

Any ideas? :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like a 29er hardtail would work for you. 29er stands for 29 inch wheels vs the typical 26 inch wheels. Although my first 29er hardtail has not been assembled yet, I hear that the larger wheels make the bike ride similar to a full suspension bike. It would be a great choice for a mix of riding here in town, and riding the real bike trails up in the mountains. Additionally, you will get more bang for the buck buying a hardtail because the suspension components really increase the cost of the bike. From reading the various bike magazines it looks like you can find some pretty sweet 29er's for around $1000.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't feel like you have to have a full suspension bike. You can totally rip a hardtail setup with a decent suspension fork on any Colorado trail. A hardtail is super versatile with just a tire change out or spare set of wheels. While taking it easy with the fam or towing a kid down the street, the FS bike will feel a little bit sluggish and sap even more of you energy. Either traditional 26" wheels or 29" is fine. I think you might pay a little more for 29's over 26's though. The 29's will roll faster for non trail riding/street use when you are with family. The 26's work just fine for this too though. The 26-29 debate rages on, so try them both and get whatever you like.

·
Registered
272 Posts
fwiw, i started on a beat up hardtail, went full suspension, and now i want another hardtail for variety. my personal opinion is that you will learn more in skills on a hardtail first. i feel im average to above average in skill, and my trance is more bike than i am rider.

FS is the ****, but a good hardtail is great. also, my FS wont take my kid trailer very good, something to consider. i also agree you should look at 29'r, its my next bike.

good luck, and if you want, ill let you throw a leg on my trance. lets go ride

joe

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very good information! Thanks everyone.

I tried the 29'rs but being only 5'5" really makes it hard not to feel like the 29 bike is a giant to me.

I mainly wanted to see what type of bike is best for Colorado as like I said at first most stores heavy in favor of fs. I could ride out my current hardtail until I got more familiar with the trails and save up some more for a fs if that is truly where I want to get to. This is the reason I did not mention budget. I wanted to take that out of the equation.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
the only reason for you to buy a hardtail is to save money. if you have the cash then get a good full suspension bike. i'd recommend the following brands:
Pivot, Ibis, Scott, Santa Cruz, Yeti

if you want a decent all purpose bike then get something with 4-5in in travel.

like the previous poster said, try what you can and buy what you like. theres a lot of demo and rental bikes in CO so you should be able to test ride a lot of bikes.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,440 Posts
BigWorms said:
<snip>
I mainly wanted to see what type of bike is best for Colorado as like I said at first most stores heavy in favor of fs. I could ride out my current hardtail until I got more familiar with the trails and save up some more for a fs if that is truly where I want to get to. This is the reason I did not mention budget. I wanted to take that out of the equation.
There is no "best for Colorado" bike. I mean besides whatever bike you happen to be riding on Colorado trails at the time.

Seriously - it depends on what you ride, what you WANT to ride, how fast you'd like to ride it, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are buying a dedicated trail bike I would go FS. Something in the 4-5" range seems like a good all around for a noob. Pick your weapon.

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
If you do want to keep budget in mind then check out some of the 4-5" FS models from Giant or Specialized. They both make some very capable FS models with well spec'd complete packages that won't break the bank. Plus they both have solid warranties to cover you for some of the newb wrecks you have coming as you learn.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,440 Posts
thump said:
If you do want to keep budget in mind then check out some of the 4-5" FS models from Giant or Specialized. They both make some very capable FS models with well spec'd complete packages that won't break the bank. Plus they both have solid warranties to cover you for some of the newb wrecks you have coming as you learn.
Truth.

But he doesn't want to bring budget into it.

Maybe a carbon Specialized Enduro? :ihih:

·
Registered
280 Posts
hrmmm i recommend yeti asr-5 (alloy or carbon available).. and/or the yeti 575. For all purpose biking (designed/developed in golden, co). //g

·
Alaskan in exile.
439 Posts
Fuel EX line?

If you are more on a budget, also check out Trek's Fuel EX line as well as Giant (maybe the Trance?) and Specialized mentioned earlier. I think the Fuel EX and the Trance lines are considered "trail bikes"; a little more than XC, a little less than an all-mtn rig. They might fit your "do a little bit of everything" intentions. Heads up though, a Burley-style trailer hitch would not work with Trek's ABP system. A trailer that attaches to a seat post would work however...

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
Grab your hardtail plus helmet and go hit Green Mountain (I assume you're around Denver) to get a sample of the goods. If it's easy for you then head right over to Dakota Ridge. If you're hooked then come back here with a price range in mind and you can get lots of good guidance. A decent FS bike will typically run you 1,500 - 4,000 new. There are so many options you'll really do yourself a disservice if you don't put in a little trail time to dial-in your needs.

Welcome to the sport.

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay I get the point. :D

My original budget was 1000. I am pretty much going to do what thump suggested. In the meantime I am going to save up some more and just get a FS. I have looked at the Trek Fuel EX line and like those quite a bit. Will have to check out Giant and Specialized.

And yes I am in the Denver area.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,440 Posts
BigWorms said:
Okay I get the point. :D

My original budget was 1000. I am pretty much going to do what thump suggested. In the meantime I am going to save up some more and just get a FS. I have looked at the Trek Fuel EX line and like those quite a bit. Will have to check out Giant and Specialized.

And yes I am in the Denver area.
Think seriously about what kind of riding you currently like as well as what kind of riding you *think* you'd like to do in future. Not much point in getting a 5" FS bike if you like and are only going to ride swoopy singletrack. If you like chunky tech riding, it might be a good choice.

And if you think you're going to want to go to the resorts and have a good time in addition to riding the "standard" Front Range stuff you might consider one of the many good 6" options.

Also - you may as well give us the budget number. How much are you going to save? Could you stomach spending $5K on a new bike?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts