Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbe looking for some answers!!
Hi there I'm looking for a bike that I can use for my 10 mile commute to work but it will also would like this bike to be able to do the trails around me. I live in southern IL around the "Garden of the gods" state park.

From my home to work there is going to be some stuff that is off road I was told that there are a lot of trails that lead you in to town that make the trip a lot shorter if you use the woods.

I know you guy's are not going to say go to wal-mart and pick a bike up but what I want to know is what you guys think I should get? I'm looking for something around $600 at most with disk brakes. That will ride well on the road and off!!

Also how are the Humvee bikes I've been reading about? They are a lot of money but are they worth the price or is there something better for that price out there?I mostly like these because you can fold them up ! It's not a must or anywhere near the top of my list it was just an extra! Thanks for the h

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Another opportunity to recommend KHS of course! For $600 you can get an Alite 1000d. Disc brakes, 27 speed drivetrain, and a SOLID frame. Before you actually buy a bike, go look at a KHS. They always give you a little more bang for the buck, and they are very well made bikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sonyisdope said:
Another opportunity to recommend KHS of course! For $600 you can get an Alite 1000d. Disc brakes, 27 speed drivetrain, and a SOLID frame. Before you actually buy a bike, go look at a KHS. They always give you a little more bang for the buck, and they are very well made bikes.
Thats a nice bike for $549!! Now what is better the Alite's 1000d,500 or the Alpine 550? Or is it just what you like?

Like I said I know nothing about bikes last bike I had was a Haro FST when I was 10 years old that was about 17 years ago.Thanks

Also the the Iron horse and K2 zed's look nice also. So may bikes and I know just so little about them?!?!?!?!?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Do you have a bike shop anywhere near you?

The size of the bike frame is important and, unless you already know what size you need, the best thing is to ask for advice on sizing and test ride a few bikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
perttime said:
Do you have a bike shop anywhere near you?

The size of the bike frame is important and, unless you already know what size you need, the best thing is to ask for advice on sizing and test ride a few bikes.
I'm about 5'10 so I'm looking at a 19 or 20 inch! I'v got one bike shop near me but they don't have any good bikes there mostly older bikes. I'm not sure what I should get the 19 or 20 inch yet.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I am about your height and riding a "17 inch" bike with about 23 inch "effective" top tube.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
perttime said:
I am about your height and riding a "17 inch" bike with about 23 inch "effective" top tube.
I'm glade I have not bought a bike yet or I'd gotton one to big for me thanks for the help! I'd be lost if it were not for you guys!

I think I'm going to get Alite's 1000d,500 or the Alpine 550! Just now need to find the one thats the best out of the three

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
The length of the bike is usually the measurement that really matters.

edit:
Wrenchscience has an on-line bicycle size calculator. I think it does not really jump at you on their site, but it is there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.