Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I'm looking for a bike that I can use for my 10 mile commute to work but it will also would like this bike to be able to do the trails around me. I live in southern IL around the "Garden of the gods" state park.

From my home to work there is going to be some stuff that is off road I was told that there are a lot of trails that lead you in to town that make the trip a lot shorter if you use the woods.

I know you guy's are not going to say go to wal-mart and pick a bike up but what I want to know is what you guys think I should get? I'm looking for something around $600 at most with disk brakes. That will ride well on the road and off!!


Also how are the Humvee bikes I've been reading about? They are a lot of money but are they worth the price or is there something better for that price out there?I mostly like these because you can fold them up ! It's not a must or anywhere near the top of my list it was just an extra! Thanks for the help.
 

·
-> SickLines.com <-
Joined
·
3,196 Posts
Stay away from walmart and humvee bikes. Take the time to goto your local bike shop and look around. Theres plenty you can get for 600$ that should meet your needs. Trek, Giant, Specialized, are all good brands to look at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtb_biker said:
Stay away from walmart and humvee bikes. Take the time to goto your local bike shop and look around. Theres plenty you can get for 600$ that should meet your needs. Trek, Giant, Specialized, are all good brands to look at.
The bike shop near me only has street bikes and old used bikes. Is there any good places on the net thathave these bikes for sale at a good price? Thanks for the help on with the Humvee bike there where some people who told me there one of the best bikes you can get for the money.
 

·
-> SickLines.com <-
Joined
·
3,196 Posts
Ibexbikes.com has some good stuff if you're interested in buying online. Something like an alpine sounds like what you want. I think its best to buy from the bike shop the first time but if you dont' have one then online has alot of resources. For disc brakes i'd try and make srue teh bike has hydaulic disc brakes or avid mechanical disc brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtb_biker said:
Ibexbikes.com has some good stuff if you're interested in buying online. Something like an alpine sounds like what you want. I think its best to buy from the bike shop the first time but if you dont' have one then online has alot of resources. For disc brakes i'd try and make srue teh bike has hydaulic disc brakes or avid mechanical disc brakes.
The Alpine 550 looks like it would be the best one for me and it's at the price I'm looking for!Thanks for the help!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I concur. The Ibex bikes look nice, but I ride an Iron Horse Maverick hardtail that I'm probably $600 into by now. A great frame and a good fork are paramount. The nice thing about a cheap HT, as long as the frame is good, you can swap out what sucks and keep what's okay. I've replaced the seatpost, front brake caliper, and fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ShutterCat said:
I concur. The Ibex bikes look nice, but I ride an Iron Horse Maverick hardtail that I'm probably $600 into by now. A great frame and a good fork are paramount. The nice thing about a cheap HT, as long as the frame is good, you can swap out what sucks and keep what's okay. I've replaced the seatpost, front brake caliper, and fork.
I'v been looking at them also I can find a few of them for $450 sorry found it for $319
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I got mine from Randall Scott. Not sure if I'd do it again. Paid more to have a "professional set-up," but I think they pay more attention to $2K bikes than $0.4K bikes, y'know?
 

·
The Mud Stud
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
Specialized rockhopper, thats what I ride. Inflate the tires, and I get in about 13 miles each day, on pavement. The thing kicks @$$ on the trail, excellent trail bike, rockhopper is my say.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top