Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....I'm a newbie to MTB and recently picked up my first bike. It's a Diamondback Mason 1, which came with 27.5 x 3.0 Vee Bulldozer tires.

I've only ridden about 15-20 miles of trails over 4-5 outings and my rear tire is already chopped to hell. It's missing about 4 nobs from the outside and the sidewalls are scraped up. Is this normal? Is it the tires? How I'm riding? The front tire looks good as new, as it should. Here's the rear tire:

Artifact Sculpture Carving Ancient history Tread
Finger Automotive tire Nail Tread Synthetic rubber

This is the terrain I'm normally riding. Any specific tire suggestions?

Vegetation Natural landscape Coastal and oceanic landforms Plant community Soil
Vegetation Plant community Rock Bedrock Nature reserve

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,212 Posts
No, the knobs falling off that soon is NOT normal. Assuming it's new that should fall under warranty.

I can't comment on the sidewalls. That can happen if you slice 'em on sharp rocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So do you think I just got a bad tire? I'm running the rear at about 23psi and the front at 21psi. The range for the tire is 10psi-30.5psi.

I'll reach out to DB and see if they'll send me a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'd get them warrantied. Your trails look like a lot of fun. Where is that?
Duluth, MN

Great trails here, but the weather hasn't been cooperating. Tougher winter than usual and it just doesn't want to let go. Got about two inches of snow today. :/

That's why I've only had the bike out 4/5 times in the month that I've had it. Lol

I sent a warranty request off to DB. We'll see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've never had this happen. Those trails look awesome. I would honestly just bite the bullet and invest in a really good set of new/different tires. Tires are one of the most important parts of the bike as they connect you to the ground and keep you out of the hospital. You can't go wrong with Maxxis minions. I'm more weight conscious so I prefer the Maxxis Rekons. Another astounding brand is Vittoria. For their low profile the Mezcals are one of the the grippiest tires ever made IMO. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I ride similar terrain in CT...lots of sharp rocks, rock obstacles, rock piles, rock walls, rocks everywhere! (what's this 'flow' people speak of?). Not familiar with 'Bulldozers' but I do know that cheap tires have a short life around here. Usually the sidewalls go first but I've seen knobs get ripped off too. I learned you get what you pay for.

I've been on Maxxis tires since 2012 (High Rollers on my last bike and Minions DHF's w/EXO sidewalls on my newest bike). They are not cheap but they have great grip and are tough as hell. I'm about 220lbs and run 20-22psi on 27.5 X 2.5's. Riding a Kona Process 153.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ride similar terrain in CT...lots of sharp rocks, rock obstacles, rock piles, rock walls, rocks everywhere! (what's this 'flow' people speak of?). Not familiar with 'Bulldozers' but I do know that cheap tires have a short life around here. Usually the sidewalls go first but I've seen knobs get ripped off too. I learned you get what you pay for.

I've been on Maxxis tires since 2012 (High Rollers on my last bike and Minions DHF's w/EXO sidewalls on my newest bike). They are not cheap but they have great grip and are tough as hell. I'm about 220lbs and run 20-22psi on 27.5 X 2.5's. Riding a Kona Process 153.
Thanks for the recommendation. Good to hear from someone who deals with the same rocky goodness I do. lol

I'll give the Maxxis line a look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.