Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

New here. Thanks for the awesome community. I'm getting back into it after about 10-12 years.. looking at getting a new bike.

Wanting to do mostly trail and single course with some light downhill

Got a line on two bikes and need everyones opinion on which is better and the better deal. THANKS FOR THE HELP!! :D

Bike #1
2014 Kona Blast
KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 27.5" HT | BLAST
All in price $1050

Bike #2
2013 KHS Aguila
AGUILA | KHS Bicycles
All in price $595 ($749 -30% sale)

Im still too noob to know what components are better / will last longer etc.

Im pretty short (5'6" - 5'7") and about 180

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
The Kona is a step or two up component-wise in every way. Ride-wise though, you're looking at a somewhat slack 27.5" bike (Kona) vs. a more "racy" geometry 29er (KHS), so they'll ride and handle pretty differently. You'd have to ride them both to figure out which one you preferred. The most comparable bike that Kona makes to the KHS would be the Mahuna.

Durability-wise, the drivetrains on both are pretty low-spec and won't take a ton of abuse. The Deore derailleur on the Kona is nice, but doesn't do too much for performance. The Kona's fork should last you a bit longer than the Suntour junk on the KHS, but Suntour does offer an upgrade program that lets you step up to one of their (much better) air forks for ~$200. That said, you can find the same forks on ebay for about the same anyways, so it's not a huge advantage. The two big quality advantages I'd give the Kona out of the box are brakes and tires. You get Shimano brakes on the Kona, which are far superior to the Bengals on the KHS, and while the Small Block 8 is a nice race tire, it doesn't offer much grip on anything other than hardpack. The Crossmark/Ardent combo that the Kona uses is much more versatile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kinda hard to accurately ride them... Still got two feet of snow.

Colam: what did you mean by "somewhat slack"?

And thanks for the responses so far. In terms of price... Is there better stuff to be had at those price points I should be looking at?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Everything around those prices will be about the same. The KHS will be a slightly better deal than most other major brand bikes at $600 since it's on sale. Off the top of my head, the only better bike I can think of at $600 is the Airborne Guardian, but it's not significantly better and requires you to know your size and do some basic assembly (it's sold online-only).

By "somewhat slack" I mean that the head tube angle is a little shallower than you might see on a typical XC-style hardtail (which is why Kona sticks it in their "trail" section). This puts your front wheel further out in front of the bike, which gives you more stability when descending. As a tradeoff, your front wheel might be slightly more prone to wandering on climbs. It's not an enormous difference, but it is noticeable.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
"In terms of price... Is there better stuff to be had at those price points I should be looking at?"
Craigslist & Ebay via SearchTempest for great deals on used bikes. Backcountry.Com, Pricepoint.Com, BikeBling.Com sale pages can have steals too. Can't hurt to shop around your area for sale bikes as well.

If you can't tell I hate paying full price. It took me a year to find my most recent purchase... let the LBS hate mail begin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.