Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the advantage of disc brakes? for what types of riding are disc brakes important?

lets say the choice is between Specialized Hardrock Sport and Hardrock Comp Disc ( for my girlfriend, i got a basic hardrock like 3 years ago ) which would you recommend given that she never even had a bike hehe, but shes rather athletic ( college volleyball ).

please forgive my retarded questions :(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Disc brakes good; rim brakes bad.

Lets say the bike you get for your girl friend has Shimano Deore cable discs. They would be so so much better than even XTR rim brakes that she could neve go back.

Even if they are some cheaper cable disc like Formula or some generic of the day, she will still have a much better stopping bike.

She needs control on the wet sidewalks, dodging pedestrians, swerving around traffic, and lurching to a hault after noticing a stop sign. Rim brakes just suck. Too much flex in the system. I have XTR rim brakes with aluminum-horseshoe brake boosters (to reduce flex). I bet the cheapest cable disc is still better than my top-o-the-line, thricked out rim brakes (Wall Mart bike's disc brakes not withstanding).

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
long_strange_ride said:
Lets say the bike you get for your girl friend has Shimano Deore cable discs. They would be so so much better than even XTR rim brakes that she could neve go back.

Even if they are some cheaper cable disc like Formula or some generic of the day, she will still have a much better stopping bike.

She needs control on the wet sidewalks, dodging pedestrians, swerving around traffic, and lurching to a hault after noticing a stop sign. Rim brakes just suck. Too much flex in the system. I have XTR rim brakes with aluminum-horseshoe brake boosters (to reduce flex). I bet the cheapest cable disc is still better than my top-o-the-line, thricked out rim brakes (Wall Mart bike's disc brakes not withstanding).
Unless it's pouring rain or really muddy, rim brakes work fine. Bikes have had rim brakes for years and there wasn't a rash of pedestrians run into. A good set of rim brakes (with good cables) doesn't flex like you say. By the way...brake boosters are pretty worthless. They're a gimmick. If you have too much flex in the system, you either have poorly adjusted brakes, need new cables, or it was poorly set up...or you just have a crappy rim brake system.....you can also have a crappy disk brake system.

A well adjusted set of good rim brakes will stop a bike just as quickly as disk brakes in most conditions.

Having said that, disk brakes are superior in foul weather....they don't wear out your rims over time, you can still get smooth stops when your wheels are out of true. Hydros will reduce hand fatigue.

Disk brakes are superior, but you don't NEED them to stop a bike. I run hydro disks on one bike and rim brakes on the other. I prefer the hydro disks, but have no issues stopping witht he rim brakes...whatsoever.

·
OldTeen
202 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
Unless it's pouring rain or really muddy, rim brakes work fine. Bikes have had rim brakes for years and there wasn't a rash of pedestrians run into. A good set of rim brakes (with good cables) doesn't flex like you say. By the way...brake boosters are pretty worthless. They're a gimmick. If you have too much flex in the system, you either have poorly adjusted brakes, need new cables, or it was poorly set up...or you just have a crappy rim brake system.....you can also have a crappy disk brake system.

A well adjusted set of good rim brakes will stop a bike just as quickly as disk brakes in most conditions.

Having said that, disk brakes are superior in foul weather....they don't wear out your rims over time, you can still get smooth stops when your wheels are out of true. Hydros will reduce hand fatigue.

Disk brakes are superior, but you don't NEED them to stop a bike. I run hydro disks on one bike and rim brakes on the other. I prefer the hydro disks, but have no issues stopping witht he rim brakes...whatsoever.
Ditto.
The rel cheap rim brakes which came stock on my HT are fine in dry conditions (I did upgrade the pads). Very nearly the equal of the discs on my FS. Just be sure that to check the pads on those rim brakes. Alot of stock rim pads are bad- and wear out quick. Koolstop pads are some of the best (and for <$10). Good levers & cables are also important in a decent rim brake setup.
Many of the biking guides who ride the desert out West (e.g. Las Vegas area) use rim brakes, but few (that I know of) still use them in the (sometimes wet) forested areas in the East. All rim brakes get worse when its wet. Discs stop when wet. Better disc systems are easier to modulate, while many cheaper discs can be touchy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.