Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cheesiest
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried doing a search, but I just come up with an error message.

So, I've finally started hitting some small drops and stair gaps (2-3 ft) and it's the most fun I've had on a bike in a while. I've been eyeing up this 4-5 footer that I'd like to hit in the coming weeks. It got me thinking about a 24 inch rear wheel. Would this be a more stable and durable setup for drops and other stunts?

I've got a chameleon frame with a Manitou Black on the front with rhynolites as wheels. I've got an '04 Manitou Flick (urban camo) on the way. I think the flick will be perfect for trails when I am running 26/26, and then 26/24 for FR/DH/Urban?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
819 Posts
i also have a chemeleon. i have rino lites on it too, but i just broke them :(. im getting tioga DH factor wheels or outlaws, but id like to ride it with a 24inch. i know that you would need disc brakes if u did it because the v brakes are only for 26inch wheels.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
My experience with my Chameleon...

You're in luck. I ride a Chameleon as well and haev run 26/26, 26/24, and 24/24. I also have a Firely on the front which is the same as your Flick but with Ti springs. Generally I run 26/26 for trail (RhynoLites as well). Once in a while, I'll go 26/24 and it does slacken things nicely but I think the benefit is outweighed by negatives of trying to climb, etc. on the 24. For urban, dirtjumping, and park riding......you simply can't beat dual 24's. Dial your Flick down to 90 and let it rip. The Chameleon actually makes an adequate jumper set up that way and can still be turned right back into a great trail bike by simply changing wheels and turning a knob on the fork.

Good luck and lemme know if you have other questions.

·
Cheesiest
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking that it would be fun to run the Chameleon 24/24, too.

Do you have any pics of what it looks like running 26/24 or 24/24?

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.