Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
washed-up moto guy
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker first time poster here in the XC forum.

I am fairly new to XC racing but would like to give XC Marathon Nationals a try in Sun Valley this year. From what I can gather, it looks like there is no qualifying process for Marathon Nats. Am I correct in assuming that?

Also, if any of you have any experience racing Marathon Nats or marathon racing in general, would love to get your input on how to best prepare and any other XCM wisdom you would be willing to share.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Long time lurker first time poster here in the XC forum.

I am fairly new to XC racing but would like to give XC Marathon Nationals a try in Sun Valley this year. From what I can gather, it looks like there is no qualifying process for Marathon Nats. Am I correct in assuming that?

Also, if any of you have any experience racing Marathon Nats or marathon racing in general, would love to get your input on how to best prepare and any other XCM wisdom you would be willing to share.

Thanks guys!
You will get better answers on the Endurance XC board.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,961 Posts
Actually, I'd bet you'll get at least as good an answer here. Sub-40 mile XC races have more in common with regular XC races (heck, we had a 40-mile XC race as part of our series last season!) than with the general population of the Endurance board... many of them focus on much longer races, and most are just "in it to finish" vs. being competitive in their category.

You're talking about a 3-3.5 hour race for many people, so the prep (for many of us) is like a regular XC race, just with a bit more focus on longer tempo (zone 3) intervals and a little less on zone 4 (threshold) and above.

It's actually very easy to stretch up from 2 hour XC races to 3 hour Marathon races if you already have 1) good XC fitness and 2) sufficient training volume.

Maybe others will chime in with helpful info as well. I just hesitate to send anyone to that board for help with anything but "how do I survive this race" advice.

·
washed-up moto guy
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Tommy!

Would you happen to know if races like this one (XCM Nats) follow a similar intensity to XC racing (go hard from the gun) or do they borrow more from road racing (start slow - finish strong)? Certainly it would be difficult to apply a generalized statement to a certain event, but is there a general trend?

·
Registered Dietitian
1,961 Posts
Generally they seem to be similarly intense at the start, not quite as much as a short XC race, but in the higher categories you won't see the front of the race after the start unless you can keep up from the gun, just like XC.

Road racing is only "start slow, finish strong" because of drafting influencing tactics (as well as team dynamics). Make a road race draft-illegal and it would be intense from the gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.