Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good all round bike. Something like a Norco Sasquatch or Wolverine. They seem like well rounded bikes to me but what do i know :D.

I am 6'4'' and about 195lbs. What i really need some advise on is frame size. I want to use the bike for basically everything.. Crusin around town and trails.

The last bike i had (few years back) was a cross country bike. Not sure of the year but it was a Giant Rainer and it was a 21 inch frame. On the road it felt great but on the trails it felt a bit to big. I was at Marty's mountain cycle on Friday and they said i should be ridding a 19 inch frame.

Any thoughts would be great :D

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Frankly, we can't tell you

Size is an individual thing. We can give you guidance regarding how much top tube clearance is idea, and how your seatpost should be set so that there is a slight bend in your knee when your pedal is at the 6 O'Clock position, etc., etc., etc. Bottom line is that we're all different and the only way you can determine what's right for you is by test riding and feeling what's right for you.

As for a bike feeling right on the street, but not on the trails, I think you're going to find that's the case in general. A mountain bike is made for the trails. Buy the bike that feels best when you're riding it for it's intended use (trails), and compromise with that fit when you're riding it on the street.

Not what you wanted to hear, i know, but it's the truth.

Bob

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
It all depends on how you like a bike to fit but I will mention that I'm 5' 10" and my bikes are all Large/19" size. All the "charts" say I should be on a medium but I feel too cramped on that size...I likes a little room to move around.

·
Registered
251 Posts
OllieDixon said:
I
I am 6'4'' and about 195lbs. What i really need some advise on is frame size. I want to use the bike for basically everything.. Crusin around town and trails.
As people are saying it's really hard to fit a rider by word alone. You need to either be fitted or try bikes out if you can. If your bike shop tries to rush you, go elsewhere.

The "frame size" is only a very rough indicator of a bike's shape. It measures the distance between the centre of the crank and the top of the seat tube. Other dimensions on various makes will vary for that same "frame size"

I am NADI 6' and I ride a 21" framed Giant Yukon. It's probably one size too big, but I am happy enough with it, as I have enough saddle play to get that right, and I am happier with the frame length. I rode a bike with a shorter top tube and felt uncomfortable. I actually have longer legs and a short trunk (OK OK here come the jokes)

My wife rides the same same size, and should not be. We were rushed by the bike shop! <G>

At 6'4" it seems strange that you would find a 19" to be too big. Can you describe _why_ it felt too big?

Nick

·
Registered
493 Posts
A friend of mine that I ride with a few times a week just got into riding a few months ago. We hit a few shops, all of them pretty helpful, and rode a half dozen or more bikes. He is 6'4 and 220 lbs or so and found that the 29er felt most comfortable. He ended up buying a Bianchi Sok in whatever their largest size is (I think its a 21) and loves it. 29ers seem to be very good if youre a bit taller, may make you feel a little more stable. Just get out there and test ride!!! Ride a few bikes back to back and you can probably narrow down your choices pretty fast.

Also keep in mind that if it feels a little big, you can always play with the stem and bar...My old bike felt way too small until I got a longer stem and riser bar, then it felt fine.

·
The plough
662 Posts
Indeed, try several bikes if you are not sure about what you want. Its not just the frame size, its the bike geometry that also determines the fit.

My 21" XC bike feels too large on rough trails, and perfect on the road and smooth trails.

My 19" freeride bike feels a tad too small on the road, but is perfect on the trails and when monkeying around on the street.

I am 6'2"

V.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.