Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting started in the MTB scene from a layoff for about ten or twelve years. My last bike was Univega 750.

I strated this journey looking for a bike to help get some weight off, and if I ever get back into shape do some light downhill stuff. Now I am 37 and over 300 lbs right now, so I don't see any 8 ft drop or 10ft jumps anytime soon. Even when I get down to 240 ish. That being said it is a fairly fit 300+. I am 6'3" and waist is between a 42 and 44 and I compete in the highland games.

OK to the questions....

I pretty much have my heart set on a GF SuperCaliber but cannot afford it. I am looking at a DEAN Colonel frame for $500 and wonder if it is worth it?

Also if I get the frame, what am I looking at to finish it. I have read a lot on here but have really noticed opinions vary.

Also, Also, do you guys know of any other 29 inch full susp. moderately prices? I think I want the FS with lockouts better than a hardtail but I can be convinced.

Any Ideas?

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Try the 29" hardtails. Steel cheap ones. You will be suprised at how little suspension you will need.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Univega 750

TellicoNut said:
I am just getting started in the MTB scene from a layoff for about ten or twelve years. My last bike was Univega 750.

I strated this journey looking for a bike to help get some weight off, and if I ever get back into shape do some light downhill stuff. Now I am 37 and over 300 lbs right now, so I don't see any 8 ft drop or 10ft jumps anytime soon. Even when I get down to 240 ish. That being said it is a fairly fit 300+. I am 6'3" and waist is between a 42 and 44 and I compete in the highland games.

OK to the questions....

I pretty much have my heart set on a GF SuperCaliber but cannot afford it. I am looking at a DEAN Colonel frame for $500 and wonder if it is worth it?

Also if I get the frame, what am I looking at to finish it. I have read a lot on here but have really noticed opinions vary.

Also, Also, do you guys know of any other 29 inch full susp. moderately prices? I think I want the FS with lockouts better than a hardtail but I can be convinced.

Any Ideas?
I remember that bike. My buddy had one.:thumbsup:

Since you are getting back into it I also suggest that you get one of the complete steel hard tails. If you want a little plush in the back throw a Thudbuster on it.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Aluminum

TellicoNut said:
thanks so far guys but I have to ask....

why a heavy steel hardtail instead of a lighter, not so hard on my fat a** FS?
Is fine nothing wrong with it. However you are a bigger fella and steel is stronger. Plus steel has a better feel to it IMO. At your size light weight frames can spell disaster:eekster: A steel frame is maybe 1 pound heavier (no biggie):thumbsup:

BTW I am 6'2" and 225 and ride a steel Niner Sir (love it!)

·
rider
2,356 Posts
The Supercaliber Raceday FS Fisher? That's a lightweight racing FS 29er with 28 spoke wheels. That and Fisher frames not being built for the long haul anymore, make it a really bad choice for you.

I'm riding an Astrix Monk 29er with 4.5" of super plush Motolink controlled rear squish. With Astrix's history of building DH bikes I'm pretty sure that one would work for you.
I'm 6"3" and 220# and ride hard so I have some frame of ref on this. The Monk has a MSRP of $1099 for the frame and can be bought for even less if you shop it hard.

http://astrixsports.com/monk.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also if I get the frame, what am I looking at to finish it. I have read a lot on here but have really noticed opinions vary
I am also wondering what components to finish it off with. Does a newbie need to go with xt? If not what groupo combination would be best?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Telliconut:

I see in that other thread that you are considering getting a used 293. Am in total agreement with ncj01 about how you will break it and have no free replacement from GF.

Also, you should know that I got the Astrix Monk frame (see earlier post) to replace a GF XL 293 frame that broke 4x in a one year span. The geo is very close between a 293 and a Monk (Astrix's geo & GF's Genesis geo are very similar) and and I think one would be a good fit for you and your intended riding as stated in th OP for this thread...

Just curious, you were thinking FS and now a KM? Did you give the Monk a good think?

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
I'd second the vote for Astrix as a company. I have a Rook and for $499 retail you'll be suprised at how much frame you are buying for the price. Light, great welds, good finish, and handles really nice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
29erchico said:
Telliconut:

I see in that other thread that you are considering getting a used 293. Am in total agreement with ncj01 about how you will break it and have no free replacement from GF.

Also, you should know that I got the Astrix Monk frame (see earlier post) to replace a GF XL 293 frame that broke 4x in a one year span. The geo is very close between a 293 and a Monk (Astrix's geo & GF's Genesis geo are very similar) and and I think one would be a good fit for you and your intended riding as stated in th OP for this thread...

Just curious, you were thinking FS and now a KM? Did you give the Monk a good think?
I am at the point right now that I am about to pull my hair out. I feel as if I need a steel frame, I like the new GF full susp. but they are aluminum. I am pretty much gonna have to have an XL frame, which are few and far between used, or expensive new.

I will take a look at the monks. Right now I mainly search for frame size and go from there.

Thanks guys for all you help,

·
Registered
845 Posts
At 6'3" and 300+ lbs, I can't think of a single 29'er that would suit your needs and budget. At your weight all the short comings of the 29'er platform will be exacerbated. I'm not giving you a hard time but I'm 230 and have had all sorts of wheel, rim and frame failures. Not to mention some serious flex issues. However, even with all these issues I'm totally sold on the 29'er concept. I've just had to note these short comings and build stronger wheels and I have replaced my old aluminum frames with steel.

To be honest with you I think you'd be better off with a 26" wheeled, slack angled, hard tail, like a Santa Cruz Chameleon. This bike would suit your desire for some DH action and would be sturdy enough for your weight. Smaller diameter wheels build up stronger and the frame would be stiffer as well.

The Gary Fisher Supercaliber would be a horrible mistake. That bike looks flexy just sitting still. If a 29'er is what you want then you'll need to have an experienced builder lace up a proper set of wheels. I'm not sure what frame to suggest but I'd think custom steel with burly tubes. Don't let the skinny folks point you in the wrong direction. They have no idea or understanding of what you need.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Bang for your Buck

TellicoNut said:

OK to the questions....

Any Ideas?
It is Alm but WOW lot off bike for the price........

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/SEC-29-Details.html

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Shultz29: I outweigh you by 20 lbs and I haven't broken anything. Learn some finesse. Holy crap man, it's not a demolition derby. A guy who is 6'3" should NOT be looking at a 26" bike. Clown bike!

Telliconut: get a karate monkey and ride it like you stole it till you're nice and thin, THEN worry about a light bike. Steel is NOT heavy, that's 1960s thinking. My steel frame is only about half a pound heavier than a comparable aluminum frame hardtail and almost a pound lighter than a full sus frame - and rides far nicer. You're worrying about bike weight when you should be worrying about systemic weight. You're 300 lbs, say your bike weighs in at 28. If you save a pound, that's only 1/328th of the total weight, and pointless for a guy your size - Three tenths of a percent! Also a full suss bike is going to be as heavy as a steel hardtail anyhow with components that will hold up to a 300 lb guy bashing it so it's a wash.

·
Registered
845 Posts
mward said:
Shultz29: I outweigh you by 20 lbs and I haven't broken anything. Learn some finesse. Holy crap man, it's not a demolition derby. A guy who is 6'3" should NOT be looking at a 26" bike. Clown bike!
If you're 250 and you're not experiencing breakage or occasional frame failures then you aint riding or at least not very aggressively.

I would agree that at 6'3" the height demands the larger hoops but he'll need some really sturdy wheels and he won't be using the granny gear. I've laced up 3 rear wheels and spaced my BB as far out as possible to keep the rear tire from rubbing the front derailluer. I love my 29'ers but I'm not quite sure if they're suited for Clydes? I've made several concessions to make them work. They're workin for now.

As 29'ers become more and more popular products will be manufactured to address some of these issues. I'm not going anywhere so I'll keep waiting.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I weigh about 280lbs and find that my 29er SS is perfect. I ride it more than my Moto-lite. However I have had people tell me that I "ride light" (You know, unweight the rear and lift the front when it is appropriate). I have never had a weight related breakage and I started at over 400lbs on a Trek 6000. Granted, at that weight I was not riding as hard and aggressively as I do now. But even today, on my Moto-lite I run Spinergy Xyclone Disc wheels. If ever a wheel was going to have a problem due to weight, I would think that these wheels would. Had them a year and the only problem I have had was due to my lack of tensioning abilities. (Don't try to fix something that isn't broke or in my case tension wheels that aren't loose) If I were you I would get a KM, build that sucker up with good dependable components, have a good wheelbuilder build the strongest hoops I could afford and ride the s&*t out of it. If a part breaks, replace it with something stronger. You would be suprised at how strong modern componentry is. (Even the cheap stuff) And the weight will drop like you wouldn't believe.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
i'd second a surly frame just for the sturdiness of it. i'd be prepared to throw down a good chunk of money on a strong set of wheels; which, ultimately might mean 26ers. some medium duty freeride/dh wheels would work for a guy your size on a xc/light dh style of riding. as you get lighter/fitter you can upgrade to lighter parts. no on else has touched on the groupo you need, and i'd recommend lx or xt depending on your budget. possible sram x9 if you like that style more. just the thoughts of a 6'4 skinny guy(i'm all of 195lbs.) who sells lots of hybrids to old fat guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I feel fortunate in getting all this info from you guys. I really appreciate all the different opinions.

I was getting to the point where I was going to buy the next thing on the block but I am gonna wait on the KM>

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Want super tough 29er disc wheels for cheap? Try this: Deore m525 (or m475 series hubs, even cheaper and still way bomber) 36h 6 bolt disc hubs converted to track nuts on solid axles. Find a good deal and pay less than $70 for the pair (converting to solid axles will cost a bit more). Lace them to some Kris Holm 38mm wide unicycle 29er rims, MSRP $40 each. Use DT Champion straight 14g spokes and brass nips.

I think that it is safe to say that you would be hard pressed to come up with tougher wheelset than the above, even if using 26" hoops. Not light, but at this point that is not the concern.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.