Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all! - new here, and I want to say this is a great forum with a lot of info! I am just starting out and am looking for my first mtn bike. Roughly in the 400-700 range.

So far I've narrowed it down to few bikes, but would like to see any other suggestions/comments to find which bike is best for me.... specification wise that is.

I know I will have to ride them and see which fits me best.... but I would like to narrow the list down to 2 before I do that.

The bikes are:

LBS:
Cannondale f5 - http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8FS5.html
Trek 6000 - http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/mountain_hardtail/6_series/6000/

Online:
Motobecane 700ht - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_700HT.htm
Alpine 550 - http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-550-Details.html

Let me know your thoughts or any other bike that may be similar/better in components.

Thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
The Trek is well speced across the boards with X5 drive train then backs it up with Avid BB5 brakes. :cornut:

Ibex drops the front derailleur to a X3 and uses Hayes MX4 brakes which are not great. :thumbsup:

Motobecan offers the best rear derailleur but drops the front der & shifters to low end with Tektro brakes which are nothing to brag about. :)

Best bang for the buck would be between the Trek & Ibex. :rockon:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys!

yea.. ibex is a internet only bike... as with the motobecane... i have never seen them at a LBS.

Dogonfr, any comments on how the CANNONDALE F5 stacks up with the TREK 6000?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Pick a few bikes out and test ride them. Honestly, I test rode a few and really couldn't tell the difference between a few. I went with the F5. I had a Specialized Hard Rock that got stolen years back, and well, I wanted a change.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If that Trek interests you check out a Gary Fisher. I recently got the Piranha for right at 700 which comes with a pretty nice component group SRAM X.5 and some Shimano Hydraulic Disc brakes. Nothing special but it is a really comfortable bike for me with some room for growing (skill wise).

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
imaputz said:
thanks guys!

yea.. ibex is a internet only bike... as with the motobecane... i have never seen them at a LBS.

Dogonfr, any comments on how the CANNONDALE F5 stacks up with the TREK 6000?

Thanks again!
The Cannondale is funny they put a higher end front derailleur X7 then skimp out on the rear which gets used the most and shifters going with X5's. The Shimano brakes are no better than the Tektro's. :cool:

Going with something like the I Alpine you are saving a ton of money over the major brand names & getting a better selection of components overall. :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
GhostRyder said:
If that Trek interests you check out a Gary Fisher. I recently got the Piranha for right at 700 which comes with a pretty nice component group SRAM X.5 and some Shimano Hydraulic Disc brakes. Nothing special but it is a really comfortable bike for me with some room for growing (skill wise).
Nice bike dude. I like the Gary Fishers, but there too stretched out for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gary fishers are some of the best value bikes you can find, even the cheaper ones can take a beating.

I'd go the trek just because ibex is online only and you can't test ride it.

All the 6000's parts are good for the price but definatly get a new seat and some new pedals, the trek's pedals will be gone within in a month or two and the seat, well some things are just to painful to talk about ( rubs extremely tender behind ).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.