Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum, and to serious MTB.

I'm 33 years old. I did alot of riding on BMX in my mid through late teens. I got a cheap wal-mart MTB in early 20's and did some trail riding. Life happened and I stopped. My fiance got me another Wal-Mart MTB about a year and a half ago for me to just ride and get in shape. Only recently have I really started riding it. I know it is not a good bike for trails, but with planning a wedding right now I can't really go out and buy a new bike or another bike. I also have to watch how I do it because I do not want to hurt her feelings since she bought me my current bike.

My current bike is a 26 inch bike. I put it together and shifts good, and rides good. I feel comfortable on it. It is a FS bike, and my main complaint at this time is the front shocks! I wish it did not have them. Way too soft and no adjustment on them either.

I'm 6'1 and 290lbs so I'm a big guy. Hoping to drop weight down to 260lbs.

I have been reading on the forums on different bikes and plan to check ouot some local bike shops as well and test some out. I really do not want to spend a lot of a new bike so I am open on used as well. Since my Fiance has mentioned wanting a bike I was hoping to pass mine off to her to get from hurting her feelings and still getting use out of the current bike. I do not think she will trail ride but just ride on the streets.

So give me some suggestions on bikes. I'm thinking a HT for my budget, and since my riding in my younger years were on bikes with no suspension I would be comfortable. I also need to get fitted for a bike as well, and plant to do so soon.

A bike one of my local shops has is this:
http://openroadbicycles.com/bikes/hardrock

·
Class Clown
3,446 Posts
just tell your fiance the truth. tell her you loved the bike she got you and it has helped get you interested in trail riding...sadly it just wasn't cutting it so you sold it and bought something else.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
As for the Marlin; it's a good bike and will treat you better than your Wal-Bike for sure.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
that's a good price for that marlin, too. if you really can't swing the extra cash and i never recommend going into debt to get it (i know a lot of people do, but unfortunately debt just keeps piling up), just ride your wally around paths/streets and eat super healthy to get into better shape. as you're doing this, save money and hopefully you can pick up at least a $500-$600 bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts