Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, im new here, i wont be posting much, dont wanna get flamed for asking stupid questions, so ill be here just readin and learning. Right now i have a streetbike, motorcycle that is, im 23. and been riding for a few years.
i always loved stealing my brothers mt bike and riding it. its fun

and i guess here in nor cal there are some good places to ride.

im reading how there are about 3 different kinds of bikes
cross country
all mountain
freeride and down hill

I have no idea what to get! thats why im researching. i dont want to get something ill outride.
i think all mountain is what i should get because ill be doing mostly trails and rough brush areas. but then if i wanna start jumping a little will it be ok for jumping? thats what i need to fnd out.

I know i dont wanna go balls out fast as hell down hills and break myself. so i think the all mt is the best bet.

then i need to read the purpose of one speeds and 29ers and 69er.

Looks like i have a ton of homework before buying :(

Hello again!!

·
Picture Unrelated
5,127 Posts
Go to a shop and start riding everything you can get your hands on. I would probably stick with 26" wheels as a first bike choice, but you'll get as many opinions as you get replies.

·
Banned
18,970 Posts
There are no stupid questions , you will however get alot of stupid answers . Like zebra posted , ride as many bikes as you can . Ask questions , read the threads here . Talk to local riders . Check out the Nor. Cal. forum , ask questions ovet there also . Do your homework . Good luck .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome! I am also a newbie. So far I haven't felt like I was being flamed or shot down so I think you are safe. :) :)

I chose a mtn hardtail because I wanted to try off pavement trail riding. Not looking for break neck fast down hill or pure road riding so it seems to point me to a mtn bike. Hope it helps.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,127 Posts
ACSN said:
Welcome! I am also a newbie. So far I haven't felt like I was being flamed or shot down so I think you are safe. :) :)
We only flame the people trying to provide advice, newbs are usually exempt ;)

·
mbtr member
6,515 Posts
highdelll said:
haha, just spoutin off some shizz
everyone up here doesn't consider anything lower than Chico to be norcal:nono:
;)
everyone down here considers anything higher than santa rosa to be Oregon :nono:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
SS bikes are simpler, and easier to maintain and lighter than their geared counterparts. but as the name implies, you only have 1 gear and will have to power ur way up hills, are your legs up for that? It may not be a good choice for a 1st mountain bike.

29ers are great and are rapidly becoming the next big thing in mtb's, unless you're short. i'd say anything under a size M bike and you should go with a 26er. if you're 5"8 or taller test out a 29er, even better if u can roll over some bumps/trails with it. They roll more smoothly over terrain than 26ers.

All Mountain bikes sound good for what you're doing, but they can get expensive; fast. XC bikes are fast on the trail but i'd shy away from jumps more than 2 feet; due to the weaker, lighter wheels and the 100mm travel. AM bikes tend to have 140+mm of travel which will be enough for up to 4 foot jumps, i'd just worry about bending the spokes on the wheels

Gl on ur search, what bikes have u been thinking about and price range?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
zebrahum said:
Go to a shop and start riding everything you can get your hands on. I would probably stick with 26" wheels as a first bike choice, but you'll get as many opinions as you get replies.
I went to my local bike shop today, this guy made me think he was on drugs!! he said "first off, dont get confused with what eveyone says, there are three types of mtb's, basic, performance and pro.." i was like WTF, i thought u were going to say XC, all mountain and freeride/downhill. he said no, thats bull, they are all the same, it just depends on the price u pay. all mtb's are about the same.
THEN he says rear suspension doesnt make uphill any harder or make u loose momentum. he was a bad choice to go to i think

CHUM said:
cool....any of the types of bikes you mention are thuper-duper for NorCal (pure FR and DH may be a tad overkill IMO)....

what area are you in?...south bay, SF, santa cruz..etc.....
and what's your budget?
im in the east bay, by livermore, in the valley, in tracy,the bike shop guy said i have tons of east bay rec. parks to choose from, and mt hamelton in san jose and oakland hills. and my gf lives in san luis obispo. so i go to pismo area alot.

louisssss said:
SS bikes are simpler, and easier to maintain and lighter than their geared counterparts. but as the name implies, you only have 1 gear and will have to power ur way up hills, are your legs up for that? It may not be a good choice for a 1st mountain bike.

29ers are great and are rapidly becoming the next big thing in mtb's, unless you're short. i'd say anything under a size M bike and you should go with a 26er. if you're 5"8 or taller test out a 29er, even better if u can roll over some bumps/trails with it. They roll more smoothly over terrain than 26ers.

All Mountain bikes sound good for what you're doing, but they can get expensive; fast. XC bikes are fast on the trail but i'd shy away from jumps more than 2 feet; due to the weaker, lighter wheels and the 100mm travel. AM bikes tend to have 140+mm of travel which will be enough for up to 4 foot jumps, i'd just worry about bending the spokes on the wheels

Gl on ur search, what bikes have u been thinking about and price range?
great advice, thanks. seems like an AM is best for me. my budget is around 800 so i dont think i could get a decent full suspension bike, so im limited to a hard tail.

i dont really know the lows of hard tails compaired to full suspension. besides comfort and traction.
as for brand of bike, i have no idea yet, because i never personally experienced any.

o yea, and im 5'5" :( a shorty. so i guess a 29er is out. what about a 69er? the idea is ingenious.
when i say im short, i mean oompa loompa short ;)

EDIT: where the hell is the multi quote button! this copy and pasting peoples quotes is lame! also, i consider myself Cen-cal, oor i call it Sin-cal. but noone else does. so i just go wit nor cal

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
haha PIMPIN!!!

yea i'm around your height, i'm 5"6 and i ride a small Specialized rockhopper with an extended Stem

What is your budget?

Your lbs guy sounds kinda crazy, DH bikes are DEFINITELY different than XC bikes than AM bikes, just sometimes there are bikes that are "in between" but a rockhopper is MUCH different than say...

see, rockhopper

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc...kes/157-9104-11_Rochhopper-SL_Pro_Black_l.jpg
then this DEMO

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEquipPopup.jsp?equipimage=/OA_MEDIA/2010/bikes/9307-76_l.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
louisssss said:
haha PIMPIN!!!

yea i'm around your height, i'm 5"6 and i ride a small Specialized rockhopper with an extended Stem

What is your budget?

Your lbs guy sounds kinda crazy, DH bikes are DEFINITELY different than XC bikes than AM bikes, just sometimes there are bikes that are "in between" but a rockhopper is MUCH different than say...

see, rockhopper

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc...kes/157-9104-11_Rochhopper-SL_Pro_Black_l.jpg
then this DEMO

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEquipPopup.jsp?equipimage=/OA_MEDIA/2010/bikes/9307-76_l.jpg
800 or so is my budget. the demo looks sooo sick!!! also the LBS guy says "another thing that makes bikes different catagories are tires, same exact bike, different tires makes it a different bike according to the manufacturer" :skep:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there is that one guy in a video on youtube. who has some chill relaxing song playing in the background. he has a weird name, doing city riding. on a tall black metal fence and urban riding, he pulls a street sign out the ground to get a shot, i dont know if u know who im talkin about, but what type of bike is he riding?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,240 Posts
Steedsta said:
there is that one guy in a video on youtube. who has some chill relaxing song playing in the background. he has a weird name, doing city riding. on a tall black metal fence and urban riding, he pulls a street sign out the ground to get a shot, i dont know if u know who im talkin about, but what type of bike is he riding?
trials

·
Have Cake and beat it 2
287 Posts
Hard tail is a good way to start. less to to wrong and pretty much unbreakable also for 800 US you could probably pick up something that is well specced gear wise. All the rest is for sus bikes and determines the weight and travel of the bike.
ie a Downhill bike is bombproof but weights massively..All mountain is good for trails and some dh. XC is for weight weenies that enjoy going on loooong rides or taking part in enduro racing, usually travel of 4 inches or less. I got a XC full sus and hated it. 3 inch travel meant that I kept hitting pedals on rocks.
ultimately its what you are comfortable on.. a lot of people will recommend hardtails as they are good for climbing as all the power goes too the rear wheel with no 'bob' that full sus bikes can do (though this is getting better)
Trek and Giant are two companies that have a huge range of bikes of all price range and gear and a good store will be able to match a bike to your requirements. I mean a hard tail can go from 300 through to 2k and everything in between. you know your price and your LBS will know the trails and should be able to fit you to a good bike for your riding requirements. ie how often, type of trail etc.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
with $800 you're best option for a good bike with a year or so of free service from the local shop would be a Hardtail. What does your local dealer sell? Mine does: spec, cdale, trek, GF, raleigh, and some other small ones.

if they do $800 you may want to consider a RH Comp Disc $770 retail:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45803&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253

But many LBS's sell at under MSRP, maybe $100-200 under. So ask if they will sell you an Expert Disc for $800 http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45802&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253

With this bike, you're pretty much limited to 2ft jumps. any more and you may bend the rim and spokes. but then again, any jumps that are large will bend any spokes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.