Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been reading this forum for a few weeks trying to educate myself a little. Started with the mindset of getting a sub $600 bike and the price quickly grew! I'm living in Germany (military) and decided to take advantage of all the trails and scenery here. I plan on riding with a few friends and just kicking it in the mountains after work. I'm smaller framed at 5"7. Looked at a ton of bike shops here and there. The base exchange only offers cheaper Trek bikes. I looked at some konas on base also but wasn't too impressed. Then I found Cube bikes. I don't know if anyone here knows too much about them but here goes. This is the model I was looking at but really don't know which shock will be better on these two. And advice is appreciated. They are both $1250 but I can get them for $1000 without the tax.
CUBE ACID 29 blue green
or
CUBE ACID 27.5

The 27.5 has even sizes and 29 is only odd sizes. So either a 16" or 17". Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If I was in Germany I would be looking at Canyon.
And this is the bike I would buy.

View attachment 886640
That bike cost $2500 which is more than double the price of the Cube bike he's asking about. Cube bikes aren't really that known in the US yet, but I love the way they look. I stopped person who was riding a Cube road bike just to ask her where she got it and she said she had to order it from Chain Reaction. I actually saw a Cube at a LBS that belonged to one of the mechanics. I got a chance to check it out and it sure has alot of Giant-ness to it. Makes me wonder.

I have a friend in Taipei, who bikes and he says that 80% of the bikes he sees on the trails or on the streets are Giants. Thats because Giants are made in a factory nearby. He says that he's seeing more Cube frames around. Cube frames are made somewhere in the Far East and Taiwan would probably be a great guess. From there, they're shipped to Cube in Germany to be assembled and QAed.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
That bike is more expensive. The OP asked for advice, any of which would be appreciated. He began with a 600 budget, but unlike many is re-evaluating his criteria as he learns stuff. He may learn something in reviewing that bike that would lead him to see some new level of value. It is a bargain in the long run.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
My understanding is that Cube does a lot of direct sale, a lot like Airborne here in the US.

Better fork on the Acid 29. The damper has a reputation for breaking, but is replaceable with something more solid. You could keep the fork long-term.

I love my Kona but like many manufacturers, they have a broad range of pricepoints, from cheap bikes to fancy ones with lots of bells and whistles. The bike companies aren't brilliant at market segmentation. Kona isn't likely to be competitive with a catalog bike, since their model involves more middlemen. I think there's some value-added in buying from a shop, but I know that's a fairly subjective view.

Spending more certainly does get you more bike. I haven't demoed something with a Recon recently enough to really say much about how they compare to my Reba.

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,199 Posts
I lived in Germany for 8+ years and now live in Switzerland. I tend to buy frames and build them up myself. However, having spent a week riding a rental Cube road bike in Mallorca for a week, I was quite pleasantly surprised with the ride and quality. Like any bike, try and ride one for a few hours before buying it. That may answer any questions you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts