Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to order a bike. I'm new at Mountain biking but want to have a do it all. I'm wanting to start of by single track trail riding and hit small jumps and want it to be able to climb decent. I'm 6'2-6'3 and 250 if that matters. I applied for the Trek card yesterday and was approved for 4k. Can you order a bike and ask them to swap components? The remedy 8 looks great but I feel (based on reviews) the crankset and brakes could be better. The fuel ex9 looks awesome for single track but what about small jumps and what not? I'm looking for the pros and cons of each and to see which one better suits my needs.

I'm looking for opinions as soon as possible as I want to place the order today. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yes, many bike shops will work with you on swapping parts when you order a bike.

Both bikes have different purposes:

EX9 is an XC bike. It has been designed for efficient pedalling. Yes, it can take usual tail features, but it will hold you back on technical terrain.

Remedy8 is an AM bike. It has been designed for technical riding - drops, jumps, steep and rough trails. Yes, it can serve as an XC bike - just don't expect to be as fast as the XC riders.

You need to make a decision if you rather want to pedal fast and for distance - or play on the trail. If you really want to seek out jumps, drops, rollers and what not, go for the Remedy. The bike will make you progress faster. If the jumps are just in your way, but nothing you are really thrilled about... go for the Fuel, it is the faster pedalling platform.

Nothing wrong with the Remedy8 brakes. Just need an allen key for some of the adjustments. Don't worry about the cranks. You can replace them when they actually fail. If they do this within the warranty period... you can still negotate an upgrade. If they don't... they'll likely never will.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
You asked the wrong guy... I am definitely biased towards the technical side. :D My personal ride is an Ibis. It was a hard decision. The Remedy lost as it wasn't available in as many sizes as it comes today.

Now, if you see yourself aspiring to the style of riding below (technical escapades and some slow distance)... then the remedy is for you.

Attachments

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I'm probably just as biased as my every day bike has 7" of travel and I see a picture of one of my all time favorite rides right above this post, but it sounds like the Remedy is the better choice for you.

I would also say that there's nothing inherantly wrong with any of the parts on the Remedy and I wouldn't personally be jumping out of the gate changing things like cranks or brakes. If you wanted to spend money up front, I would do it on saddles, grips, tires, and accessories (Do you have a helmet? Is it more than 4 years old?). Cranks will wear out eventually and you can replace them then, and the brakes are fine they just take more effort than some to set up properly. If you had to replace those parts, I would go XT cranks and XT brakes, possibly with a dual ring chainguide like an E13 DRS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey,

Thanks for your replies. That trail looks insane! I can only hope to be able to ride a trail like that in the future.

I bought a helmet. Its the Flux. I'm just being picky and need to pull the trigger. The bike shop offers 10% off for military but are selling the bike at msrp, is that a deal? I see a couple shops with in a 100 miles selling them for 2969. I emailed the bike shop to see if they would price match but I know how sales people are and don't want to budge. What are your thoughts on the price?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Remedy 8 MSRP $3360,-
10% off $336
-------------------------------------
Local: $3024

Remote: $2969

Difference: $55

Correct? If so... $55 isn't worth driving 100 miles. But you shouldn't tell this the LBS. $55 isn't worth losing a customer either. Ask for a match. If declined look disappointed and ask if the shop is willing to throw in some gear that you might need, aka e.g. patches, pump, gloves, multitool, shock pump, shoes.

They obviously don't pay MSRP on the gear. So it might work better for them than a straight away discount.

Forgot: Also ask for their tune-up program. You might get your discount in free tune-ups.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would suggest you save some dough and go for the Fuel EX 8 - Its an awesome ride!
I have been using both a Specialized epic, and fuel ex 9 for a couple of months, and for what you get the FUEL ex 8 (yes 8) is the best bike for the money! Check the reviews its been the bike of the year in UK for 2 years in a row too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.