Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here.

I am looking to get into the sport and am currently looking at bikes. I am 6'6" (about a 34" inseam) and about 185lbs so I will need a larger frame, most likely a 29er.

I'm located in Atlanta and went to my first 'real' store today and looked at the the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc and the Rockhopper Comp Disc 29. The store did not have any near what I need size wise but he, obviously, said they could get it. He also said that I could be made comfortable on either frame (reg or 29er) with a 23" frame. The more I think about it I think the 29er is most likely the way to go. He priced the two bikes out so I looked the prices up on Specialized's website and they were priced at full retail... Is this normal? My usual rule is not to pay full retail! There are a few other stores in my area that carry these bikes so I might go and see what price they come up with. I'm obviously new to the bike scene and am unaware if asking if he can discount a 'special' order bike is reasonable.

Thanks!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Bike companies usually have a range of what they allow dealers to sell new product for. I know that companies like Specialized, Trek, Giant, Fisher all do this. They will list the high MSRP on their websites. The Specialized dealer I worked for was quite large so it sold at low retail which tended to be around 5% less than high retail. They were able to do this because of the discounts available when making large orders. So you may want to check another Specialized retailer in the area and see if they are selling at the same price. If they are selling at a lower price, you can either buy from them or go back to the original dealer and ask for a price match. However, if a dealer has to special order a bike, its more likely they will charge high retail because they will not be getting a volume discount on a single bike order.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.