Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a year of thinking of whether to upgrade my wheels or not, I finally did it. I went from DT Onyx hubs, DT Swiss 4.1D rims, 2.35 Nevegals front and 2.1 Nevegals rear to the new ZTR Race 7000 Series wheels and 2.1 Kenda Small Block 8's on front and back with Stans sealant. I lost exactly 2.28 lbs. Total bike weight is now 25.2 lbs. Would be about 1/2 lbs. less without the added weight of the Gravity Dropper but I really need that. I'll be trying them out tonight at the low recommended tire pressures. I never tried the SB8's, so I hope they stick. I will run 21 psi front and 25 psi back. Wish me luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I rode these last night and all I can say is WOW! ABSOLUTELY FRICKEN WOW!!!!

So I did a short time trial strait up a fire road to a marker. First time on these rims and first time ever on tubeless. Usually I'm in the 51-52 minute range if I'm feeling good, and the whether is not too hot. I ended up with a 48 min 30 second time to my marker in warm weather. Not bad at all considering I’ve been sick and on anitbiotics. But I think I expected, or was hoping for a fast time due to less wheel weight but was not just sure how much and how strong I would be. So for the climb, I say the difference was fantastic.

As for the downhill, and I should mention I suck at it, switching from the 2.35 Nevegal front (28-29 psi) and 2.1 (30 psi) Nevegal rear to both 2.1standard Kendas Small Block 8’s, 25 psi rear and about 21-22 psi front which is recommended, my god!, what a difference that made down hill. I think yesterday is the fastest I’ve ever gone downhill with out even trying. It was really weird the way the bike feels going down now. It was so much more stable, the grip was much, much better and incredibly noticeable as compared to the tubed Nevegal set up. Going over the terrain was so much smoother it was just incredible. You can really feel the contact between the ground and the bike. I think I understand now how those down hillers can corner and go so fast and over rough stuff. Boy, that low pressure also sure makes a difference!

Well that was well worth spending over $1K for the rims and tires. I lost 2.2 lbs. off the wheels and total bike weight, gained more traction than I could ever imagine making me faster and smoother downhill and made my climbing faster. Just too exciting I can hardly stand it! I guess my road bike will see a little less action in the future! I'm gonna go ride now...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
yeah, the RACE wheels are the real deal. the wide rim makes the tire nice and stable at low pressures. no one believe how hast low pressure is on the right wheel, with the right tires, until they ride it.

great that you felt a lot more traction with SB8 tires than Nevegals, which are probably more of a XC trail tire. tubeless and low pressure is better!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kevbikemad said:
the wide rim makes the tire nice and stable at low pressures. no one believe how hast low pressure is on the right wheel, with the right tires, until they ride it.

great that you felt a lot more traction with SB8 tires than Nevegals, which are probably more of a XC trail tire. tubeless and low pressure is better!
wow, didn't even think about the rim being wide...I guess that made the ride more stable too then. I was really skeptical about the SB8's traction. I was worried that I was going to lose alot of traction, something a poorly skilled roadie like me can't afford. And the low pressure thing really working is just counter intuitive but it's really the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.