Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
I feel so out of the loop....I didn't get any e-mail. What's the deal? I couldn't find them on the JensonUSA website. Are they something that they'll be coming out with???? Somebody tell me, the suspense is killing mmmmmmmmeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
the medium is the message

not on the web site but in email to customers on the mailing list. (inserter)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=5>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=5><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="102%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=578>Zion 853 Frames "Sneak Peak"</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
We're pretty excited about a new frame line from Zion - the 853 series. Having tested some prototypes, we really think you're going to love the finished product!

The new frames are constructed of Reynolds 853 air-hardened steel and will come in two flavors - the first, a traditional hardtail, and the second, an EBB (eccentric bottom bracket) version that's perfect for singlespeeding.

Both feature classic NORBA style geometry designed around an 80-100mm fork, socket-type vertical dropouts, and bosses for 51mm International Standard disc brakes and linear pull brakes.

We expect the Zion 853 and 853EBB to be available in mid-September, and we'll begin taking orders soon. In the meantime, learn more about Zion frames at www.ZionBicycles.com. Expected retail cost is approx $400. Watch our website for details!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can anyone give me any general info about Zion? Where they are based, where are the frames manufactured? I went to the website and hopefully they spend more time and effort on their frames than their web design........I could hardly read any of it!!!! I would be interested in that 853 EBB!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Got a note back from Jenson today for anyone who is interested.

My note:

I am eagerly awaiting the release of the Zion 853 EBB frames and wanted to know where they will be manufactured? Are there any weight estimates for the frame?
Thanks

Their response:

We don't have any info as of yet, keep watching our site as we update
it when we receive information.

Does it seem odd to anyone else that they will be marketing and selling a product very shortly, and they can't tell me where it is being made?

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
zanq said:
Does it seem odd to anyone else that they will be marketing and selling a product very shortly, and they can't tell me where it is being made?
Nope, not odd at all. Jenson seems to have some contacts with factories. That is why the chameleon extras from santa cruz showed up there. Sounds like they are getting frames from an overseas factory. They most likely told the factory key design factors like ebb, disc, and basic geometry and turned them loose. They can estimate weight, but since they don't have sole design/material control the final weight will have to be measured from the delivered goods.

When I go overseas to places like China I see prices typically 1/2 to 1/3rd of those in the states. However I do usually have to modify my designs to make it more cost effective for the manufacturer and they typically use equivalent material. Overall I find the end result to be acceptable, but not great.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
I don't know about these steel frames, but a buddy of mine recently purchased a Ti Zion frame. I'm 99.2753% sure it's made by Litespeed.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
BB Height

Burger said:
I'm also interested in the EBB frame but did anyone else notice that the bottom bracket on that thing is really low? 11.69 "
That is ok Dan. My Teesdale has a BB height of 11.625 and I seem to not have any problems striking the pedals on the ground, even in rocky terrain.

Itching for a single now I see? Anything to do with your rear der at Iron Hill?

James

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yup...

Definately, I need a bike as a backup when the Titus goes down. I rode Matt's bontrager a few times last week and it was great, the gear was a little too tall for me but it was still fun. Looking for something simple to get a little stronger on over the winter also and this seems to be the ticket to building leg strength. I might even race Matt's Bontrager at Susq. if my legs feel alright after Fair hill.

Manicmtbr said:
That is ok Dan. My Teesdale has a BB height of 11.625 and I seem to not have any problems striking the pedals on the ground, even in rocky terrain.

Itching for a single now I see? Anything to do with your rear der at Iron Hill?

James

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts

·
Let go lightly
220 Posts
Buy Kona Unit frame only?

Does Kona sell just the Unit frame and if so what is the price? On their website it looks like they just sell the complete bike.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
681 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=FR606A01
they say sep 10 availability. if someone gets one, please post something. $425 is the price. so right there with a kona unit, which is also a pretty nice steel frame.
Well I already placed my order for one so it is supposed to ship as soon as they're in. I'm a bit nervous to be honest but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. I'm the most nervous about a poor EBB/frame interface so it squeaks/creeks and stuff. Anyway, I also just happen to have a cool new digital camera so I'll be fully equipped for a major Q & A session as soon as I get it and LOTS of pics.

Gabe

·
Registered
434 Posts
gabe0807 said:
I'm a bit nervous to be honest but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. I'm the most nervous about a poor EBB/frame interface so it squeaks/creeks and stuff.
Gabe
I'm right there with you, that's why I ordered an On-One Inbred EBB instead. It's too easy these days for a company to have a nice, informative website, which Zion DOES NOT have. They offer an email address for contact, but no address or phone number which spooks me. Jenson couldn't or wouldn't tell me anything either; that didn't instill any faith in me. For your sake, I hope I'm just a paranoid pessimist as the info I got wasn't nearly convincing enough to spend $10, let alone $400+.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts