Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

My wife and I are headed to New Zealand February 13-26 for our honeymoon. We have booked the majority of the trip in Auckland and Northland, but we would like to see the South Island as well. Ideally we would like to do a couple of rides (3-6 hours) of fairly aggressive and scenic cross county (We hail from Boulder, CO and are pretty decent riders). Where would you suggest visiting on the South Island that we could get rent bikes/gear and get some epic riding? All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

- Dan and Katie

·
Registered
362 Posts
R8 rides in Auckland area

Hi Go to Woodhill for a g8 ride they have hire bikes etc a range of trails from mild to extreme being all sand based in a pine forest. If you like clay based go to Riverhead again pine forest, there is lots of riding outside Auckland.
A must do is Rotorua- scence of the 06 worlds now 70+km of single track in the forest. all the local will happly show you round, g8 bike shops too.
Cheers
Conrad
ps get a copy of the local mtb trail guide by the Kennett brothers, it lists every ride in NZ & they have ridden them all, worth every $.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Can't get better than that

As an ex Roto-vegas local myself the locals are very friendly and can show you all of the hidden trails it would take you days to discover on your own.
Go for it.....hell I bring sch groups of kids there every year for a week to ride the trails.......
Conrad Smith

·
Registered
194 Posts
You can hire decent bikes from vertigo in Queenstown around $55/day (Anthems, Trances, Reigns) and there are some nice trails around you can explore yourself, or you can go on group tours, even heli-ride up and bomb down. On the North Island, Rotorua has some good trails (you must do Split Enz) but the hire bikes there are shitters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.