Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a day of firsts for me. First day on my new 575 frame, my new AM1 fork, and the first time I have ever ridden down Holbert at South Mountain.

The frame and fork are unbelievable! I am coming off a 2005 Specialized SWORKS 120 which I did like very much. Well...until I had a chance to ride AZMtncycler's 575 with AM1! :D
The 575 outshines the SWORKS in almost all categories. Of course, it is more plush, and more comfortable. I feel like I am sitting more in the center of the bike, and because of this it climbs better than the SWORKS. The SWORKS would stretch me out, causing me to have to shift my shoulders as far forward as possible to keep the front end down. After about 4 hours of riding , neither my back nor my shoulders are sore. A great deal of praise has to go to the AM1 as it is the best fork I have ever ridden, and it isn't even broken in yet. My previous fork was a Fox TALAS RLC.

For my first ride AZMtncycler chose Holbert. This is a pretty technical downhill. With the AM1 in 6" mode and seat lower a couple of inches, this bike goes down incredibly. I have never felt so comfortable.

Overall, I'd like to thank AZMtncycler, and Dirtbag for pointing me in the right direction. This is a great bike, and since I am a monogamous bike owner, I couldn't be happier. It only gets better from here.

Here's a few pics taken today, all parts sans front derailluer, seatpost, headset, fork came off of the SWORKS. All XTR and Crossmax SL wheels (surprisingly strong).

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
most importantly. . .

tiSS'er said:
Today was a day of firsts for me. First day on my new 575 frame, my new AM1 fork, and the first time I have ever ridden down Holbert at South Mountain.
. . . you cleaned #2!!!! major props tiSS'er!!

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Not a bad beginning .....

to what will be some serious "Perma-grin" from here on while riding the "black Mamba" 575. Welcome to the Yeti crew!!!

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Sweet ride, maybe Ill have to get me an AM1. Is it that much better that the Fox?
I assume the travel is adjustable. How far down can you set it, and what does it weigh?

Sean

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smw said:
Sweet ride, maybe Ill have to get me an AM1. Is it that much better that the Fox?
I assume the travel is adjustable. How far down can you set it, and what does it weigh?

Sean
The AM1 is far beyond any Fox fork I have ridden. I have been on Fox Forks for the last 3 years and thought they were the only way to go. One ride on the AM1 and unless Fox makes some big changes, it Marzocchi for me. The claimed weight is 5 pounds about 1 pound heavier than a Fox TALAS. Travel is adjustable from 130-150mm

It is that much better. Right now you can pick up 05's for about $400

·
EDR
10,311 Posts
-Very sweet...This bike climbs surprisingly well, doesn't it?

I get out to South Mtn. once a month or so so I'll look for you guys on 575's.

I ride a Turq 575 with a Pike....

Enjoy :D :D

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
let us know when you're heading out to SM

eatdrinkride said:

Always happy to have another 575 rider join us. PM me about the wkend you plan to head out to our neck of the woods and I'll give you the start time of our ride.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eatdrinkride said:

You need to show up, AZMtncycler leads a great ride, besides he and Dirtbag must be on Yeti's payroll, since almost everyone in their "circle of trust" rides a Yeti
:D . We must look like a group of sponsored Yeti riders as we cruise up SoMo all on 575's, each in a different color, all with the same fork (with exception of a couple of 6 Packs). Too much fun.

And yes it climbs amazingly, goes down better! :D

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dirtbag said:
. . . you cleaned #2!!!! major props tiSS'er!!
Thanks for reminding me, I had so much fun going down Holbert I almost forgot. 6 Months on the Spec with no luck, 2nd try on the 575 and it is done! Never would I been able to imagine a heavier, longer-travel bike would climb better. I cannot thank you guys enough for getting me on this bike, world of difference between the 2 bikes. Proof that more money does not buy you a better bike! I wish I knew then what i know now, could have saved a lot of money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts