Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note the top tube cable guides welded on to a "pad" and then epoxied on to the carbon. This is an early one. Later C-26s had the guides welded on to the lug due to the labor intensive aspect of this method. I still might put an Accutrax fork on it but not sure. Any votes from you guys? Manitou or Accutrax?

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
To take (if only a small amount) of stress off such a valuable frame...I say Manitou Perhaps you could stop being so lazy and find a 'pre Answer' Manitou....geez... ;)

But, if you had an Accu-Trax in the matching color...I'd go that route.

·
artistic...
7,620 Posts
where's the high rise atac stem and the drop bar? the short top tube is begging for a drop bar...
although those thumbshifters are looking good..
wow.. great project...

·
Retro Grouch
132 Posts
Hi,

this frame was built in 1989 (pre-Manitou Suspension) and is one of the earliest C-26. Yeti showed this bike on the Long Beach Bicycle Show with an Yeti-Fork, so I would go for an Accu-Trax. I have some pics of an early C-26 on my homepage:

[Edit] The first one is the bike Yeti showed at Long Beach 1989, the second is the pic in their 1990 catalogue. I think these two bikes are identical. Andrew from Yetifan had an pic on his webpage sometime ago showing an hacksawed C-26 frame that Chris Herting still has. I think, the hacksawed one is the Long Beach Frame. MBA reviewed the C-26 in 1989, that bike was also shown in Easton Advertisings. I have that review on my harddrive, but I'm still in the office. Maybe your frame is the MBA Bike?

Is the frame ok? C-26 are famous for drying out and loosen their bondings. Still wonder how many C-26 were really built, IMHO about 20-30 were made. Someday, I will have one of these. To be honest, I'm a bit jealous ;)

Greetings,

Michael

·
Registered
995 Posts
Woah, yes indeed, the Manitou is a good thing, mostly though, for the same reason Eric stated. A yeti pre-accutrax might be the ultimate fork, but you don't want it rattling all your lugs out either. I'd say it depends a great deal on whether you're planning on riding it or not.

Funny, I was over at Tuckers this weekend and saw your name listed twice in the back of an old mtb book, showing the top finishers of the 90 worlds in Durango, where Julie & John would have been riding thier own c-26s. I think I still have that issue somewhere.

I suddenly feel very old. Better give Zeppelin II a spin. Whew, that's better...

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Michael,
Yes, the original plan was to get my purple 1 1/4" Yeti/Accutrax fork painted to match. But, I put the Manitou on and it looked good and its not like its too far fetched or out of place on here as most of the C-26s had them. Im still undecided.

Yes, I first thought it could be the one MBA had as well but the dropouts on mine are not Simplex. Mines got the later plate style drops which is a little conflicting with the early style cable guide "pads". Who knows. Herting thinks it might have been Joey Erwin's.

I heard from FTW that the C-26's with the white epoxy were the ones to watch out for. They only used this on a couple frames. Mine is a greyish color. Everything so far seems ok.

I dont know how many were made. Ive heard anything from 6 to 25 both from reliable sources.

·
Retro Grouch
132 Posts
Hi,

I have an pic somewhere of Joey Erwin on his C-26 but unfortunately it was shot from frontal. I think it was used in one of OnZa's "Shut up and ride" ads. But there was another frontal pic of Joey jumping the bike sometime in MBA. Just look through your MBAs from 1990. Hey, all the old team bikes are coming back into public. Great. Still wonder where Tomac's Drop Barred FRO might be, the custom 73° seat tube one he used before the C-26.

Greetings,

Michael, still jealous ;)

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
flyingsuperpetis said:
Woah, yes indeed, the Manitou is a good thing, mostly though, for the same reason Eric stated. A yeti pre-accutrax might be the ultimate fork, but you don't want it rattling all your lugs out either. I'd say it depends a great deal on whether you're planning on riding it or not.

Funny, I was over at Tuckers this weekend and saw your name listed twice in the back of an old mtb book, showing the top finishers of the 91 worlds in Durango, where Julie & John would have been riding thier own c-26s. I think I still have that issue somewhere.

I suddenly feel very old. Better give Zeppelin II a spin. Whew, that's better...
Tuckers huh? Thats one collection I would love to see! Did you get any pics? Ya, the 1990 worlds, I was a junior. The good ol days. Funny you mention Zeppelin. Back in my last few years of high school I was a huge Zepellin fan and Zepellin II was my favorite album! I need to pull that one out of the CD archive. Is Ramble On on that CD? Pretty sure it is.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Michael Staab said:
Hi,

looks like you have to build the bike up with an Rock Shox RS 1 ;). Attached Pic shows Joey Erwin during a race in 1990. Sorry for the bad quality of the pic.

Greetings,

Michael
Nice pic. Thats at the 1990 Worlds. I wonder why he didnt use a Manitou. I only remember Tomac's and Furtado's. Could be wrong though.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
flyingsuperpetis said:
Funny, I was over at Tuckers this weekend and saw your name listed twice in the back of an old mtb book, showing the top finishers of the 91 worlds in Durango, where Julie & John would have been riding thier own c-26s. I think I still have that issue somewhere.
Yup...I remember seeing the name 'D.L.' in the back of an MBA from about that time. I'll have to dig up the issue and see which one it is.
It'll be worth more when I have Dave sign it!

I'm his biggest fan.... :( uh...or rather, I'm a big fan of his mtb collection! :D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
a funny Zeppelin story

I was in high school wresting when the first Zep album came out. We shared the gym with the girls basketball team. Guy on our team borrowed a record player from the german teacher, a big old fat mean kraut lady that everybody feared, even the other teachers. We were playing the album and the girls BB coach kept telling us to turn it off, and finally she threw a hissy fit and ran over and started jumping up and down on the record player. Then we told her whose it was, and she turned white. It was cool, huhhuh huh huhhuh..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Michael Staab said:
Hi,

found the other pic of Joey Erwin on a C-26. [Columbo Mode on] seems like it's different from your frame because of the cable routing and the Easton sticker which is white on the bike he rides. [Columbo Mode off] Maybe he had more than one C-26?

Greetings,

Michael
There are definately atleast 12 or so in existence and probalby a few more. I've counted atleast 12 seperate C-26 frames that I'm aware of with confirmed pictures that are definately different bikes.

Mine,
CycleShark
Euro Bikeshow C-26
Herting's Frame
Easton Carbon Engineer
Yeti Factory - loaner
Juli's Bike - JP Auction
Tomac's Bike from JP Auction
DL's - as pictured above
Zap's - pictured in some old MBA mags and labeld as tomac's bike but wrong color stickers
Riveted one in Europe
NikeTown

I've heard rumors of a few more rolling around but the above are all confirmed siteings.

Can't wait to see the final build DL! It's a toss up between the Accutrax and the Manitou but either way you need to get the colors right IMHO. The RS-1 sounds kinda neat as well since this is the first I'd heard of one with an RS-1 equiped front. Almost all the old mag pics are of the manitou so this build would be pretty unique.

As for the multi-bike theory for Erwin, I can tell you for sure that the old tomac c-26 pictures had several different sticker setups during the 90 season so it's quite possible he (and erwin) had more than one bike. Even the bike Parker sold at auction has stickers that "don't exactly match" the race bike Tomac rode at the 1990 worlds so it's anyone's guess as to how many bikes existed or if sticker changes were made.

-mtnwing
www.carbonbicycles.com
www.mountainbikes.net
www.roadbikes.net

·
mtnwing said:
There are definately atleast 12 or so in existence and probalby a few more. I've counted atleast 12 seperate C-26 frames that I'm aware of with confirmed pictures that are definately different bikes.

Mine,
CycleShark
Euro Bikeshow C-26
Herting's Frame
Easton Carbon Engineer
Yeti Factory - loaner
Juli's Bike - JP Auction
Tomac's Bike from JP Auction
DL's - as pictured above
Zap's - pictured in some old MBA mags and labeld as tomac's bike but wrong color stickers
Riveted one in Europe
NikeTown

-mtnwing
www.carbonbicycles.com
www.mountainbikes.net
www.roadbikes.net
hello

our c-26 is the one parker sold. he told me, tomacs frame got different stickers for an easton sales show end of 1990.
a friend of mine in switzerland has another c-26 frame, repaintet in brown with a crack.

greez pete

·
www.yetifan.com
722 Posts
scant said:
FILLET brazed, real nice build. Purists will tell you accutrax. I think it'll look great with either. flite saddle over a turbo?

[email protected] tells me only 3 genuine C26s were made. I'll show him this thread :)

ta

scant
that is indded what Chris Herting told me, BUT there seems to be a lot of frames around, casting doubt on that theory, I am unsure if he meant the 'production' version of the frame without the bonded cable stops. I think thats probably more realistic.

There are 2 forsale on Yetifan right now, neither listed above, also there is a Rivited one in Durango somewhere. some pics-----

Johnny O Mara's bike-----

bits O C-26 (there was a box full- I never took a picture of half of it.

Juli's bike- Pic by Parker.

Tomac's- Pic by Parker

Andrew.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Yetifan said:
that is indded what Chris Herting told me, BUT there seems to be a lot of frames around, casting doubt on that theory, I am unsure if he meant the 'production' version of the frame without the bonded cable stops. I think thats probably more realistic.

There are 2 forsale on Yetifan right now, neither listed above, also there is a Rivited one in Durango somewhere. some pics-----

Johnny O Mara's bike-----

Andrew.
I believe the above frame has been sold...

The other:
Will sell my C-26 Frame never Ridden as new. for best price

[email protected]

He's looking to get in upwards of $3000 for the frame IIRC...rare...but honestly! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.