Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok XC geeks, have any of you ridden the new XTR stuff? I haven't used XTR for a couple of years and have become fond of the SRAM shifting during that time. It's time to order a new bike, so I'm curious what you guys think.

I'm looking at the full dealio, so feedback on everything (disc brakes, shifting, and wheels) is appreciated. Tell me what you know.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I just upgraded from basically deore to XTR last years (good deals), and found the difference impressive both weight and performance.

I did have a problem getting the rear brake set, but that was my problem not XTR.

·
Registered
272 Posts
mtbfool said:
Ok XC geeks, have any of you ridden the new XTR stuff? I haven't used XTR for a couple of years and have become fond of the SRAM shifting during that time. It's time to order a new bike, so I'm curious what you guys think.

I'm looking at the full dealio, so feedback on everything (disc brakes, shifting, and wheels) is appreciated. Tell me what you know.
A friend as 07 XTR on his bike. I've fooled around a little bit on his bike, and some of his impressions are mixed in here too, so take it for whatever you want. I guess I should say I'm a Shimano fanboy too. so there's my bias for you.

'07 XTR is pretty amazing. I run 05 XT stuff, and everything is a tad crisper and smoother. The trigger shifters are buttery smooth. The front shifting is amazingly accurate - the chain seems to always bite on the shifting pins right away. Braking is improved over my XT. They are much more grabbier, tho not quite as grabby as juicys, but pretty damn close in my opinion.

So it's nice. If i had one drawback, I just look at the $100 price tag of the middle Ti-Carbon chainring and I cringe. I blow thru a middle chainring every season or 2. I suppose I can just put a cheapy steel ring on it, tho that makes me cringe for other reasons.

GL,
-don

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have been riding around on the '07 stuff for about 2 months now. Compared to my old 960 and the XO triggers, I'm liking the 970 more and more. The 960 with the STI was immediately sold when I ordered the 970 stuff. I still have an XO bike and like how it shifts, but the new 970 triggers where you can dump 2 at a time or shift under load always impresses me. The only downside is that shimano cables are sad, I can't wait to switch them out with the avids once spring arrives. I also acquired the 970 pedals, I'm an ATAC guy and find that clipping in is not as instant or as audible as the atacs but release is just as good as the Times. I'm using 180/160 rotors on the XTR hubs with a 12-34 cassette and they are a definite improvement over the 960's. KMC ti nitride chain also helps in the drivetrain area. I also cringe at the replacement cost of the middle ring. It's a pretty nice kit that should last.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.