Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried running the 970 XTR centerlock rotors with non-Shimano brakes? I just tried to install some with my Avid Juicy Ultimates and it appears to be incompatible due to the little tab on the inner (right) brake pad contacting the alloy spider on the Shimano disc rotor. I love the brakes, and the new XTR rotor looks like an excellent design- floating rotor, lightweight and very laterally stiff- and they come in a 140mm for the rear, so I'd like to be able to run them.

Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have a good solution? I'm hesitant to file away material on the rotor's alloy spider for fear of weakening it, but the only other option I see is to try and somehow clip off or grind away the little tab on the Avid brake pad, which I think would be exceedingly difficult, especially without damaging the pad itself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Almost bought a set of the new XTR wheels as the shop was going to throw in the rotors and let me trade in the wheels that came on my bike but they wouldn't clear the calipers on my Marta SLs. The fit was tight with very little clearance and the mechanic was hesitant to say they'd work.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Aussie-yeti,

That's exactly what I've decided to try. I think I can do it without mucking up the pads, and since that's the only problem I have, then it'll be fine once it's clipped. I'm not worried about removing or replacing the pads, since I can use a pick and some needle-nose pliers pretty easily, and I don't anticipate having to change them all that often.

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
Some Guy said:
No on the lighter - they weigh 135gr! I guess you could say they perform better as centerlock is an easier system to use, but with a 45gr weight penalty per rotor I'll pass.

Even if you have a centerlock hub it's lighter to use a hope rotor and a (29gr) DT swiss adapater.
But aren't the centerlock hubs lighter by design than the traditional 6 bolt hub(less material)?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
They are, but it's not a big difference. For example DT's centerlock 240s comes in 33gr lighter than their 6 bolt IS. Take into account either an adapter or bolts and both work out about the same, but IS edges ahead if you use ti bolts. IS still wins out if you want super light too: the lightest centerlock hubset (DT 190) weighs 310gr, compare that to 298gr for extralite's IS hubset.

·
Lover, not a fighter...
286 Posts
Some Guy said:
They are, but it's not a big difference. For example DT's centerlock 240s comes in 33gr lighter than their 6 bolt IS. Take into account either an adapter or bolts and both work out about the same, but IS edges ahead if you use ti bolts. IS still wins out if you want super light too: the lightest centerlock hubset (DT 190) weighs 310gr, compare that to 298gr for extralite's IS hubset.
You know, I don't think that comparison really is valid. Those hubs are probably of an entirely different caliber. The DT 190s are bound to be much more durable and have ceramic bearings too. Come on, 12g? Seriously, is that worth it?

If comparing XTR rotors to the Hope floating rotors and a DT centerlock adapter, the Hope rotors weigh about 90g (give or take a gram or two) and the DT adapter weighs 30g. The Hope rotors with adapter only saves you about 15g per wheel for the 160mm rotors. I was looking at the new XTR weights in the news section on the Light-bikes.com site and the savings are even less if you look at the 140mm rear. The XTR 140mm rotor weighs 111g compared to a 140mm Hope floating at 80g plus a 30g adapter. It's basically a wash in my opinion as far as the rotors, and that's with the lightest steel rotors that I know about. The centerlock rotors will also have less interfaces and pieces to lose, break or go wrong with. They seem to be much cheaper than going with Hope rotors and DT adapters too, like less than half the price if you shop around.

I checked all of this out because I've been thinkig about building a new wheelset and switching over to discs on my new bike. I'm trying to pick between XTR, Hope and Magura brakes and looking seriously at the new XTR hubs.

I don't see any advantage or disadvantage to anybody in the maybe 40 to 60g, at worst, that we are talking about here with these differences. From what I see the issues are going to come down to the performance of the hubs and the brakes themselves. That's what I've decided to focus on. That amount of weight savings is NOT worth less performance in my world. It's not even really rotating weight. I don't think rotors of the size we're talking about would really count much as such because the weight doesn't go far enough out from the center to make any real difference in that way. It's more like sticking a big allen wrench in your pocket or something. Anyway, maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
JaLove said:
I don't see any advantage or disadvantage to anybody in the maybe 40 to 60g, at worst, that we are talking about here with these differences.
That's 40-60grams extra using an XTR centerlock rotor vs an IS rotor on a centerlock hub. Same hub, same locking system, just extra weight for the XTR rotors. Remind me why you would use them again?

·
Lover, not a fighter...
286 Posts
Some Guy said:
That's 40-60grams extra using an XTR centerlock rotor vs an IS rotor on a centerlock hub. Same hub, same locking system, just extra weight for the XTR rotors. Remind me why you would use them again?
Price and ease of use. That total of 40-60g difference for front AND rear, which is likely an overestimation in most setups except for the expensive combo of Hope floating rotors and DT adapters as I clearly stated above, are not going to make ANY difference on the trail or in a race whatsoever, as I'm sure you know. If it does, it's in your head. There are much more meaningful places on the bike to save weight instead of paying nealy DOUBLE to save grams here if you don't have to. That's my point. If you don't agree, I'll still love ya as a person. :p

I'll add this:
If you're going to make a sacrifice of some grams when making your bike as light as you can afford to, this isn't a bad place to do it because centerlock's are so easy to use. You just have to worry about what the original poster is asking, "Will the centerlock rotors work with my brakes?"

If the DT adapters came with your bike, wheels or with your hubs, then you don't have to worry about the added cost. If not, they you're paying more than a dollar per gram to save that fairly insignificant amount of weight and make a simple system more complicated. Especially if I end up with XTR brakes, or any other brake that will work with the centerlock rotors, using the adapters just isn't worth it for me.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
But rember CL hubs weight less than 6 bolt.
I have DT 240 hubs:

IS: 154/273
CL: 136/258

Add apdaters or lighter CL rotors and there the same to slighty lighter and a better system to hold your rotors.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
But rember CL hubs weight less than 6 bolt.
I have DT 240 hubs:

IS: 154/273
CL: 136/258

Add apdaters or lighter CL rotors and there the same to slighty lighter and a better system to hold your rotors.
Slightly lighter? Um... no, it's actually slightly heavier:

IS: 160/279 (with 6 ti bolts)
CL: 165/287 (with DT adapater)

Better it may be, but lighter it's not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.