Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: This was a Mickey Mouse project from the get-go. No precision tools or methods were used...just a hand drill, a file, and some J-B Weld! :skep: :skep: :skep:

I love everything about my new XT 776 wheelset except that the morons at Shimano left no option to have a bolt on rear hub (oh...and the Star Trek stickers on the rim are wearing thin on asthetic appeal). Had some time and this is what I came up with.

***Do not attempt this at home unless, like me, you have too much time on your hands and don't mind paying for a new axle and such if this doesn't work.***

The new XT hubs have a larger aluminum axle with a cone and steel lock-nut/end-cap on each end. The drive side cone and end/cap are thread-locked on. Took off the brake side end cap and the internal diameter of the axle appears to be approximately 10mm (don't have a caliper) and the #35 10X1X174 Wheels Manufacturing QR (hollow) axle I had laying around slid right inside! :thumbsup: That is until it met the reduced diameter portion under the freehub body. :madman: I assume the bore is smaller to provide more material to support the cassette.

Here's what I did. Using successively larger drill bits I drilled out the drive side of the axle to match the brake side. I ground off the QR posts on the steel end-caps and drilled them out also (now have to use vise grips to adjust the cone). Mixed up the J-B Weld and installed the Wheels Manufacturing axle inside the XT axle with a good dose of the sticky stuff along the way. I had predetermined how much axle needed to stick out on the drive side as I did not have the brake side end-cap on (didn't want it welded on too :D ). That's it. Time will tell if this will hold up. I'm not holding my breath but you never know. From my experience with J-B Weld, if I got good coverage inside the XT axle it's probably good to go.

This did add a bit of weight, I'm sure, but I did not get numbers. The axle and nuts aren't too heavy and I lost a QR. Honestly, I wasn't too concerned.

Note to self: Next time, don't use the fast set version...5 minutes goes pretty fast to install and clean up before the epoxy sets up!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curious why JB weld?

If you didnt JB weld the axle in place, wouldn't this be the same as a thru axle 10mm hub, which IMO would be better? Also if you didnt use the heavy as poop WM axle, you could buy a much lighter Hadley 10mm thru axle or even a DT Swiss RWS and use without the JB weld. Just thinking.

·
Registered
231 Posts
10mm axle conversion

I remember Shimano's Hone group set which had the rear hub with a 10mm axle way back then.

Hoping your weld lasts ....

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Curious why JB weld?

If you didnt JB weld the axle in place, wouldn't this be the same as a thru axle 10mm hub, which IMO would be better? Also if you didnt use the heavy as poop WM axle, you could buy a much lighter Hadley 10mm thru axle or even a DT Swiss RWS and use without the JB weld. Just thinking.
Exactly. There was another post where they just drilled out the end caps and used a through bolt skewer/axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts