Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up installing my new XT 760 cranks on an 07 Stumpy HT. Pretty sure I did it right but can someone please confirm that you use 2 spacers on the chainring side and 1 on the non-drive side when assembling the bottom bracket cups:confused: ?

Thanks fellas,
Rog

·
mmm
952 Posts
rogrider said:
Just finished up installing my new XT 760 cranks on an 07 Stumpy HT. Pretty sure I did it right but can someone please confirm that you use 2 spacers on the chainring side and 1 on the non-drive side when assembling the bottom bracket cups:confused: ?

Thanks fellas,
Rog
As long as you have a standard clamp derailleur...you are correct. two spacers on the driveside.

·
Registered
839 Posts
bainsey said:
Sorry to hyjack this thread.

but Im about to install the XT fcm 760 crank set to a 2005 enduro, Does the same spacer rule apply?.

Thnaks
I used 1 2.5mm spacer on the drive side, none on the non drive.

wayne

·
Registered
446 Posts
New Outboard Bearing Cranks....

..all have a significantly different chainline. Current frames are designed for the standard chainline. I tried the new chainline on my Enduro, and it looked way off, so I bought the older XT cranks...perfect shifting, no chainsuck due to larger gap and poor chainline, kept original Q Factor.

You can search for my rant on the new chainline...

Peace

·
Registered
152 Posts
Heres how it works:
If your bottom bracket tube (the tube that is part of the frame, aka BB shell) is 73mm wide, then you only need one spacer on the drive side. If your bottom bracket tube is 68mm wide, then you need two spacers on the drive side and one on the non-drive side.

If you are using an E-type (BB mount) front derailleur, then that drive side spacer goes away and you install your front der. there.

You can measure the tube width with any calipers, or maybe even a tape measure, then convert to MM by dividing the inch measurement by 25.4.

thats it in a nut shell.
I dont know what specialized's shell widths are, maybe someone can chime up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.