Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issues with some clunky shifting on my new XT 12speed. Upshifts are very clunky and hard, downshifts are inconsistent (sometimes smooth, sometimes rough). I came from a GX 12sp which ran much smoother, I expected more from this XT. Heres my setup:

Truvativ cranks w/ AB oval (shimano HG+ compatible chainring)
XT chain
XT derailleur
XT cassette
XT shifter
new optislick cable/housing

I have adjusted the B tension, set the chain length according to shimano, H/L limit screws, cable tension, etc. I just cant get this thing to shift smoothly, its pretty inconsistent. Only thing I'm thinking is that maybe the hangar is slightly bent causing the issues. It looks pretty straight but I have a new one I might try out. Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
Upshifts are clunky because they designed that extra resistance into the system.

Reactions: ramoer

·
Registered
658 Posts
I was wrestling with a similar issue with my XTR. Have you double checked chain length? There's a very specific was shimano wants it to be measured.

Also, in the process of taking my chain on and off (mine was trimmed as specified) it cured the shifting. I suspect the chain can get off by a tooth on one of the pulley wheels or something and cause it to be just slightly out of whack - enough to still function, just not well.

·
Registered
2021 Hightower CC XT
122 Posts
I'm having issues with some clunky shifting on my new XT 12speed. Upshifts are very clunky and hard, downshifts are inconsistent (sometimes smooth, sometimes rough). I came from a GX 12sp which ran much smoother, I expected more from this XT. Heres my setup:

Truvativ cranks w/ AB oval (shimano HG+ compatible chainring)
XT chain
XT derailleur
XT cassette
XT shifter
new optislick cable/housing

I have adjusted the B tension, set the chain length according to shimano, H/L limit screws, cable tension, etc. I just cant get this thing to shift smoothly, its pretty inconsistent. Only thing I'm thinking is that maybe the hangar is slightly bent causing the issues. It looks pretty straight but I have a new one I might try out. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I recently installed XT on my HTv2. Cassette, RD, chain, crankset. The shifter is XTR. The setup shifts very smooth. Smoother than the X01 w/GX shifter it replaced.
You must have an issue somewhere.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but I'll chime in anyway. Shimano chains are directional and it matters. One side of the chain has all the Shimano engravings on it, the other side is smooth. Make sure the engraved lettering faces out. This might not be the cause of the problem, but it's an easy troubleshoot and has no been specifically mentioned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but I'll chime in anyway. Shimano chains are directional and it matters. One side of the chain has all the Shimano engravings on it, the other side is smooth. Make sure the engraved lettering faces out. This might not be the cause of the problem, but it's an easy troubleshoot and has no been specifically mentioned.
This.

Last weekend I swapped chains which I do often but was apparently daydreaming when I did it and put the chain on backwards. When I took off to go for my ride it became obvious pretty quickly something wasn't right with the shifting and I figured the chain was backwards. I went ahead and finished the ride and checked the chain as soon as I got home. Sure enough, it was on backwards. Flipped it over to the correct orientation and the shifting was back to the usual smooth shifts. Looking at the chain you wouldn't think this would make much difference but it does and is easily noticeable in the shifting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.