Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had ridden the El Cap quite a bit and really liked the feel of that and was pretty comfortable with a 21" version for a week or so, but to buy something that I would have for a long timeI had to weigh the option of a 21" or 23" pretty hard--but when this was actually in stock and ready to roll, it seemed like a no-brainer.

As a pretty solid clyde at 245 or so, I really struggled with the decision of the El Cap or the El Rey. I initially thought that I needed the strength of the El Cap's X frame, but I really don't care for the aesthetics of it. I love the look of the El Rey! Erik convinced me that the El Rey was more than beefy enough for my size.

No real bling here, as I mostly just moved my stuff over from my Fisher. And most of the stuff is just good solid stuff that take a beating. Very little is original though--Maybe the Bonty Stem and the xt front derailer.

Reba
RP23
Avid BB7's
Race Face Atlas cranks
XTR rear der
King hubs and headset
DT tk7.1 hoops

I have only just gotten a shakedown ride on it, but the Brown County Breakdown is this weekend

http://www.hmba.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=47

, so I need to hurry up and get all my air pressure stuff worked out on these shocks. any
thoughts on fine tuning would be great.

The only thing I don't really like is all the stickers...but that's easily fixed!

Attachments

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Wow, that is simply superb. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it an 11!

That looks like the RP23 with the large air can, at 250# I run mine at around 200 on my Sultan (though the Sultan has a shorter stroke) you could start there . . .

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
El Rey - Check :D
King Hubs - Check :D :D
29er - Check :D :D :D

Not much more you could do on the trail to call attention to yourself without going all foshizzle on it and getting really geeky on color matching ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I hear ya

CRAZY FRED said:
Bro,Its a Ventana El Rey( and a red one at that mind you)trust me its bling(and YES I know bling):thumbsup: CF..
I just see crazy blingtastic bikes here with polished bits and anodized that and nokon cables and hydro brakes...I just love this sweet, sweet baby...it just seems kinda funny-- lotsa old parts on a brand spankin' new frame.

and definitely plenty of clearance for the Reba--at least a 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks

Random Drivel said:
Wow, that is simply superb. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it an 11!

That looks like the RP23 with the large air can, at 250# I run mine at around 200 on my Sultan (though the Sultan has a shorter stroke) you could start there . . .
That is exactly what I said to Erik--this bike goes to 11!!!

and Yeah I set the RP23 to about 185 and now I am getting the recommended 25% sag for that shock. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts