Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a friend about to buy his 1st mtb-he has been riding a good few times with us and borrowed our 2nd bikes, he is picking it up very quickly and now wants his own machine.

he is willing to spend up to almost 2 grand-i know, nuts lol, however he would prefer to get something a fair bit cheaper, i think ideally 1500£ he would be ok with. not sure how that converts to dollars, but from the list of bikes below you will understand the budget.

he's looking for something under 30 lbs with at least 120 mm travel that has fairly slack angles (ie you can point it down steep hills without going over he bars).
most of the riding wil be trail centres but will also be riding some DH too, such as Cwmcarn.
i would say 80% of the riding will be on trail centres which 120mm travel is perfect for around my way, however he wants to ride some DH and free ride with me too. so its a fast do it all bike we're after for him

my suggestions were:

lapierre zesty 314-thats the best option i can think of (a stretch on his budget)
Specialized Pitch - perhaps a bit slow on XC?
Trek Fuel ex 8-will it handle some DH?
Orange 5- single pivot a bit dated -over rated bike?
Giant Reign 2-maestro work well enough to take 6 inches of travel up hill?

Any input or any other bike suggestions welcome????????????

help?????????
cheers

·
Registered
239 Posts
What other trail centres are you likely to be riding?

Also would you say they are more concerned with going up hill or downhill?

One last thing. How tall is he? Some of the trail centres/shops around the south wales area have good demo fleets, and therefore good ex demo bikes... just a thought.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dheorl said:
What other trail centres are you likely to be riding?

Also would you say they are more concerned with going up hill or downhill?

One last thing. How tall is he? Some of the trail centres/shops around the south wales area have good demo fleets, and therefore good ex demo bikes... just a thought.
mainly Afan and cwmcarn-may take him to some natural stuff i ride too tho.
he said he wants something fast, when he says that i think he means uphill, but i will make him put a short stem and decent tyres on it, so it descends nicely too.
the way my friends ride (that he will ride with) is normally to climb quite relaxed, have a rest at the top then drop the seats and go as quickly as possible down. i dont ride with them very often as they are too slow, but i think he is competetive by nature so will push a bit harder.

he is about 5ft 7 so will need a small 16-17"
the top contenders so far i think are the Lapierre Zesty and the Trek fuel EX7 or 8, i quite like the look of the Cube AMS125 too and dont see many of them around.
i think the Giant Reign and Pitch are probably a bit more bike that he wants TBH.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd go for a well equipped long travel steel hardtail like Dialled Alpine, Cotic BFe, On One 456 or Ragley Blue Pig. Hardtail for fun, steel for comfort and price. There's no bike as polyvalent and they are the best way to learn how to pilot a bike.
If he really want a fullsusser I'd say Banshee Spitfire. It looks quite polyvalent too. It's surely one of the slackest + adjustable geometry, light, strong, beautifull and quite cheap compared to those Turner, Santa Cruz, Pivot,...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well tbh I'm not sure I'd like to ride alot of the bikes mentioned as fast as possible down the course at cwm carn, unless your just talking about the XC descent which is fun. For stuff like afan though I would agree that the reign is more than he needs, whilst the other ones mentioned sound like they would mostly be ideal.

I've seen quite a few cube bikes around cwm carn area strangely enough, and I don't think the AMS is meant to be too good for larking around on if he wants a bit of lairyness.

The lapierres do look very swish and are meant to be good bikes. Haven't read much about that particular one though and haven't had the chance to ride one at all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dheorl said:
Well tbh I'm not sure I'd like to ride alot of the bikes mentioned as fast as possible down the course at cwm carn, unless your just talking about the XC descent which is fun. For stuff like afan though I would agree that the reign is more than he needs, whilst the other ones mentioned sound like they would mostly be ideal.

I've seen quite a few cube bikes around cwm carn area strangely enough, and I don't think the AMS is meant to be too good for larking around on if he wants a bit of lairyness.

The lapierres do look very swish and are meant to be good bikes. Haven't read much about that particular one though and haven't had the chance to ride one at all.
my friends that he will ride with dont go very fast down the DH at all-i dont know why they even bother, but they are still normally quicker than some of the ppl up there on their DH bikes lol.
when i said they get to top and put seats down then go as quickly as possible down i was referring to the XC track (twrch)
i think the Zesy or Trek fuel are the best 2 options, im not keen on Orange fives, i have ridden them and think they decsend nicely but dont climb very well, i think they are massively over rated.
dont know too much about cubes or a couple of the other bikes mentioned here, so will have to do some research, im quite curious about the AMS 125

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tbh i'd recommend demoing them first on the trails he's likely to ride as well.

Pop into skyline cycles and see what you can try. Looks from their web page all they've got suitable in small in there demo fleet is the orange 5. I know you say you don't like it, but alot do and he may feel differently to you. Although you personally don't like the ride you can't argue that they're not well made bikes. Also he'd be buying british.

I think there are other shops around the trails which do demo's, but they come to mind immediatly.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I think either the Trek or Spesh fit what you describe best, obviously the EX8 is the much better xc bike and the Pitch is strong but heavier. Get him out on test rides, he might find the EX8 not solid enough or he might find the Pitch too slow and vague, without riding them neither of you is going to know for sure.

PS. Strength wise the EX8 is fine for Cwmdown with a change of wheels. At least it's fine on the red run as long as you squash the jumps and avoid the big uns...

pps.
Get him a demo on a 5, I know you said they climb slow, but relative to other 140mm bikes they really don't, especially compared to bikes with a similar level of crash/dumb rider proofing built into them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Maybe a Specialized Enduro if he wants more travel, or a Stumpjumper full suss would be comparable to the EX8, but with 20mm more travel in the rear and 10 more in the front. Should climb well too, this will be my next bike ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a Specialized Pitch I really like it.
I don't think he's going to have a problem with it being slow when riding some XC.
And If you get a Pitch Pro you get Pro-Pedal in the rear and you could just knock down the Pike to 95 MM.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
after speaking to him, he doesnt want more than 140mm travel, its more trail orientated than AM he wants.
he wants to but new
anyone know much about Cube AMS 125's ?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Do a google search for it and you'll know as much as I do =)

Don't get too fixated on one bike though, it does look nice and it's something a bit different from the hundreds of specialized you see, but it's by no means unique. I've seen plenty of cubes of all shapes and sizes up there.

I still don't think you should overlook the orange 5 so much. He may love it. Pretty much all the bikes mentioned can be found in shops locally though (well, locally to me, don't know exactly where you are) so get him to go in and have a chat and possibly demo one or two.

It is nice to see other people on these boards from the same part of the world though =).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.