Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 360 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is what I harvested from the input on the subject. I've tried to include everything which worked verb-noun like.
Now let's trim the list down. What don't we like and what do we like. MY goal is to find a term which does not villainize us, yet popularity and resonance cannot be ignored.

Thoughts?

all about me
bacon
bike hike
bogard
borrow
bumming
chum
co-opt
coddle
coddling
daylight
deviate
dirt research
disregarding
diss'in
Don patrol
enjoying
explore
extended network
feasability study
Ferdlantupostacrandleotopotomevewrater
fluking
foraging
freedom riding
freeing
frenching
gerrymandering
get lost
go native
going off-reservation
ground truthing
haunting
hausfriedensbruch
liberate
lifting
mooching
non-legit
off piste
open riding
pathing
pioneering
pirate
poaching
probing
prospecting
reclaim
reconnoitre
renegade
resurrecting
ride social
riding
roaming
Robin Hood
rouse
rub one out
sampling
schwinning
scout
scramble
search
sleazing
smoke
snacking
sponging
spur
stepping
summer's eveing
sunnyside
surveying
testing
tour
trail maintenance
traipsing
transect
Tres Paso
Tres pass
trespassing
undocumented
unsanctioned trail riding
Vandemaning
violating
voyeurism
wander
watermeloning
zoomed
felching
fluffing
freaking
frocking
frollicing
thrashing
threshing
peeling
plying
poking
prodding
bleating
blotting
bloating

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
Here is what I harvested from the input on the subject. I've tried to include everything which worked verb-noun like.
Now let's trim the list down. What don't we like and what do we like. MY goal is to find a term which does not villainize us, yet popularity and resonance cannot be ignored.

Thoughts?

all about me
bacon
bike hike
bogard
borrow
bumming
chum
co-opt
coddle
coddling
daylight
deviate
dirt research
disregarding
diss'in
Don patrol
enjoying
explore
extended network
feasability study
Ferdlantupostacrandleotopotomevewrater
fluking
foraging
freedom riding
freeing
frenching
gerrymandering
get lost
go native
going off-reservation
ground truthing
haunting
hausfriedensbruch
liberate
lifting
mooching
non-legit
off piste
open riding
pathing
pioneering
pirate
poaching
probing
prospecting
reclaim
reconnoitre
renegade
resurrecting
ride social
riding
roaming
Robin Hood
rouse
rub one out
sampling
schwinning
scout
scramble
search
sleazing
smoke
snacking
sponging
spur
stepping
summer's eveing
sunnyside
surveying
testing
tour
trail maintenance
traipsing
transect
Tres Paso
Tres pass
trespassing
undocumented
unsanctioned trail riding
Vandemaning
violating
voyeurism
wander
watermeloning
zoomed
You forgot felching, fluffing, freaking, frocking, frollicing, thrashing, threshing, peeling, plying, poking, prodding, bleating, blotting and bloating.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, great!

iheartbicycles said:
You forgot felching, fluffing, freaking, frocking, frollicing, thrashing, threshing, peeling, plying, poking, prodding, bleating, blotting and bloating.
More when I'm looking for less. I'll add them.:)

By the way I'm not looking for code names but names that have a message to them so the haters can't use them against us.

·
middle ring single track
4,679 Posts
and politically correct....

Berkeley Mike said:
By the way I'm not looking for code names but names that have a message to them so the haters can't use them against us.
OK now I see why my "basturdate/basturdating" didn't make the list ("I was basturdating Skeggs last night on my Ventana El Bastardo")

Seriously, my late father, who started poaching single track on his Harley back in the 1930s, would say "I'm going riding" if it was on a legit trail---"I'm going exploring" if it was somewhere he shouldn't be. So for the short list it has to be "explore/exploring".

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, think about a term you would use

in front of a land manager or group of people who see such use as yet more reason to continue keeping us off of trails. I think we can describe such trail use in a more positive way; it may currently be illegal but we don't think, for any number of reasons, it ought to be.

People who oppose our use employ words like trespassing, breaking the law, violating the law. It plays against us from the get-go.

This site, and much of the mtb culture uses the word "poaching" and that is hardly useful. I will quote Imtnbike:

"Poaching is a crime of moral turpitude. Illegally killing fish or game may harm an ecosystem, threaten others' livelihood, involve cruelty, and the like.

Conversely, noncompliant mountain biking that causes no safety risk, involves no discourtesy, and does no environmental harm is not, in my opinion, a crime of moral turpitude. It is merely a violation of some ordinance or statute. Only illegal riding that victimizes someone or causes harm to an animal, plant, or landscape is turpitudinous (sorry for the $10 word).

That is why I never refer to noncompliant mountain biking as poaching."

We need to change the way people look at such trail use.

·
commie
245 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
in front of a land manager or group of people who see such use as yet more reason to continue keeping us off of trails.
I would merely say that I was riding my bike on a trail.

You continue to tilt at windmills...

·
is down to roll...
719 Posts
I like Open Riding- it sounds unrestricted like freeriding, and it also suggests open-mindedness, which is lacking on the trails.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,224 Posts
MrToadSC once called it riding "undocumented" trails...

I think you're looking for a adjective that would be an appropriate name to replace "illegal" right? I think undocumented has the appropriate connotation. :)

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
It calls things into question

shredchic said:
MrToadSC once called it riding "undocumented" trails...

I think you're looking for a adjective that would be an appropriate name to replace "illegal" right? I think undocumented has the appropriate connotation. :)
which is critical and has a nice tone. However it suffers from the fact that these trails are well documented.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
We did a night ride lastnight, and had to "inspect" some trails to make sure they were safe......= )

1 - 20 of 360 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.