Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I am thinking of maximising my limited budget to get a new set of performance improvement wheelset for my MTB commuter. I am thinking of such combo.

-DT swiss XR425 rims( Thinking of getting the Mavic 717 but LBS does not carry them)
-DT swiss Comp spokes
-Shimano Deore V-brake hub.

I have budget less than $280.. I think this is the best combo I can get from my budget. Good hub cost too much so good/light hub is out of question.

My wheelset is just for commuting. So no heavy pounding. XC wheelset will be more than enough.

I am looking for acceleration improvement over my stock wheelset. What do you think of new expected combo wheelset?

·
Registered
374 Posts
shimano4 said:
Hi Guys, I am thinking of maximising my limited budget to get a new set of performance improvement wheelset for my MTB commuter. I am thinking of such combo.

-DT swiss XR425 rims( Thinking of getting the Mavic 717 but LBS does not carry them)
-DT swiss Comp spokes
-Shimano Deore V-brake hub.

I have budget less than $280.. I think this is the best combo I can get from my budget. Good hub cost too much so good/light hub is out of question.

My wheelset is just for commuting. So no heavy pounding. XC wheelset will be more than enough.

I am looking for acceleration improvement over my stock wheelset. What do you think of new expected combo wheelset?
Check out Bicycle Wheel Warehouse - you'll get a solid build and a lot more bang for your buck than your typical LBS. I paid less than your budget including shipping and got much better wheels - going strong with more ~ 2k miles on them

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Look around on the internet a bit.

If you want cheap everlasting hubs look for Shimano XT-753 or XT-760, they're better sealed than Deores and only cost a little more. You can probably get them off the web for what your LBS will want for the Deores

1 - 3 of 3 Posts