Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheelset is XT hubs, Mavic 517 rims and double butted spokes.

Tires not yet mounted.

Measured offset, was good. Installed rear wheel and observed lateral and radial runout. Radial good, lateral a little bit off near the weld. Drags on drive side V-brake pad with brakes adjusted very close.

Then measured spoke tension with the Park gauge. Non drive side measured from 8 to 17. Drive side 17 to 21, with most close to 21.

Uh, I think this wheel will be out of true in no time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
TR

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
elder_mtber said:
Wheelset is XT hubs, Mavic 517 rims and double butted spokes.

Tires not yet mounted.

Measured offset, was good. Installed rear wheel and observed lateral and radial runout. Radial good, lateral a little bit off near the weld. Drags on drive side V-brake pad with brakes adjusted very close.

Then measured spoke tension with the Park gauge. Non drive side measured from 8 to 17. Drive side 17 to 21, with most close to 21.

Uh, I think this wheel will be out of true in no time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
TR
The wheel needs to be retensioned.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Damn! That's a big spread and 8 is nowhere near tight enough. Like Shiggy said, that wheel needs some work. I doubt the nipples or eyelets are lubed though so you might want to do that too while you're at it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies...

...I retensioned the rear wheel. Result is pretty close to 16 on the non-drive side and 21 on the drive side with offset, lateral and radial runouts OK. Took me quite a while.

I think you are correct about the nipples needing lube - a couple of them squeeked while I was working on the wheel. Do you think it is acceptable to put one drop of oil on each nipple (from the "screwdriver" side of the nipple, not the spoke wrench side)?

Thanks again,
TR

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
elder_mtber said:
...I retensioned the rear wheel. Result is pretty close to 16 on the non-drive side and 21 on the drive side with offset, lateral and radial runouts OK. Took me quite a while.

I think you are correct about the nipples needing lube - a couple of them squeeked while I was working on the wheel. Do you think it is acceptable to put one drop of oil on each nipple (from the "screwdriver" side of the nipple, not the spoke wrench side)?

Thanks again,
TR
I lube the nipple/spoke interface from both sides and the nipple/rim eyelet interface before I tension a wheel. When I need to retension and/or true I lube both from the outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.