Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am looking to build a new wheelset for the Bottlerocket. Currently runnung a DT Swiss/Hugi FR front hub and DaBomb HeadSpin hear hub both laced to Single Tracks. I have had the front hub forever and it is still going perfect. Rear hub was cheap and the rims I had from an old wheelset.

Now for hubs I have always - and I mean always - used DT Swiss/Hugi. The old FR hubs (all black) I had forever and sold the rear with my last frame (165mm). I purchased a new set of 440 FR (black/grey) for my Gran Mal laced to EX 823.

When I built my Mob I went with Profile Racing hubs. Front is a 20mm non-disc and the Rear is a SS 135mm w/Ti shimano cassette. I have to say that the quality of the hubs is amazing and they are pretty light. The bearings are great, tolerances of the pieces are well machined and they look awesome.

I was thinking of getting the full MTB version of the Profiles in a 20mm front disc and 8/9 cassette rear bolt-on. The cassette is also a Ti body with the same terrific hardware. I am really contemplating getting them.

I was able to find Mavic 731 in 36h in silver and ordered them up so I have the rims already..

The current wheelset I am going to keep as a back-up as is for the days at the mountain. That way if I destroy a wheel on my BR or Mob, I can throw on one of the spares.

I have not seen a lot of guys using Profile hubs for FR/DH and I wonder how they will hold up over time. I figure if kids on BMX bikes can beat the living crap out of them, they should be OK.. Anyone out there using Profiles for this application?

Also please don't add 20 replies on how Atomlab, Hope Pro II, Saints and other hubs are the best, blah, blah, blah. Just looking to hear from anyone that uses Profiles. Thanks.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
I ran a set of Profiles on a RM7 for 2 + seasons and loved them. At the time they were laced to Sun Doublewides ( :eek: ) in the early millenium 26/24 combo. I loved these hubs! My friend had a set too and stopped using them mostly cause he got set up with Hadley. We had some front bearings that needed changed out, but that's it.

I'm sure they have a thru-axel option now, but at the time I had a "bolt-on" rear hub that had different outer inserts and aluminum nuts to secure the wheel... If I didn't keep getting Hadleys, I'd order a set of red ones laced to 819's for a all mountain wheelset. (I've got a friend who's connected to Industry 9 though...:ihih: )

I say go for it! Oh, BTW they make a wicked noise! :cornut:

edit: I forgot to mention how much I dislike DT hubs. I still have a set of FR hubs like yours and the star-ratchet engagement bugs me... Never liked it. I broke a hub shell on my rear; but they replaced it no questions... They're great hubs, just don't like the engagement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have owned some profiles which i have swaped from 4 -5 bikes and they are still going strong i just replaced the rear bearings only a few weeks ago as they had some play but great hub very good quality im currently running them on my chamelon build up
Very nice hubs

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Black Profiles laced to silver Mavic 721 with black brass nipples 3x will be the build.

And I am a personal fan of the loud hubs... I can guage my speed just by the sound of the hub on my Mob.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are bolt-on insert I believe. No threaded thru axle. The axle and the black nut are one piece (each side). I've never taken them apart so I don't know what they look like on the inside..

And they do sound nice..

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

Got the wheesl built:

- Profile MTB hubs, front 20 mm, rear 135mm w/Ti cassette body.
- mavic 721 in silver
- DT spokes
- Wheelsmith black brasss nips
- 3x, 36h

I also threw on my Wellgo MG-1 pedals for the heck of it. Now I think the BR is finished. Complete is about 40 lbs which is average with a coil shock and fork. This is my main bike and I pretty much ride it most of the time. Now I can focus on the Highline build.

On the bike:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.